Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcarterworld

Accessorizing guest bath

rcarterworld
4 years ago

I am the worst when it comes to selecting accessories to “finish” a space. I like simple, but I just cannot make a choice. I don’t think I need a “vertical” item on the vanity, but I’m not sure? Any direction would help! Does this work?

I also have a empty narrow 31 inch inset wall across from the toilet. I do not enjoy pictures of florals and animals. Thoughts?

Comments (13)

• Helen
    4 years ago

Might be the lighting but it looks kind of dark. I would find something that is reflective and a bit lighter - maybe some bling.

Also I don't think the fuschia flower goes with the rest of the stuff. And if you want to decorate with a floral arrangement, I think the stark white vase is a bit cold - I would use the opportunity to get something that had a bit more glamour.

As for what you need, I think a guest bath needs disposable hand towels because as a guest I don't like wiping my hands on a cloth towel since I don't know who has used it before. You can get pretty towels relatively inexpensively with a nice tray to put them in - see above in terms of something that lightens up/is reflective.

The paper towel and soap dispenser look a bit clinical. For a guest bath, I would look for a pretty dispenser for liquid soap - the odds are that you won't have to refill that often in a guest bath. Again my choice would be something light/reflective to glam it up a bit and lighten it.

A glass container with old fashioned potpourri can be pretty and can also have a subtle aroma.

• rcarterworld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Helen! Unfortunately, this is the best photo I could get in the room without windows (no natural light). Thank goodness it isn’t as dark and yellow as my phone makes it though.

I actually pulled the plant from living room as a gauge right before the photo. I guess I’m trying to figure out WHAT to put in this space. Metallic with??? Seems to be missing a natural element. I definitely plan to upgrade the soap and napkin dispensers once the main accessory has been decided.

Help! :-)

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Large framed map from National Geographic. Hand carved wood puppets from India or Thailand. An antique sampler, framed under glass to keep it clean and dust free. Reproductions of menus from cruise ships a hundred years ago.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Is this a powder room or a guest bathroom? They are 2 very different things. I actually don’t like he tile or wallpaper behind the mirror IMO it throws too much brown into the space but I would need more info before any other comment and or sure need to know the use of the space.

• della70
    4 years ago

Crisp white towels, a basket on the floor in the rear of the commode with toilet paper, hand soap dispenser, and room freshener is all you need.

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like flower's color. If however you want texture, you could play up the small tiles that from here have a woven look - sturdy rattan might be nice, but my idea is small: trashcan or art frame....

what accessory are you wanting. I think of a scuptural-type plant, but would that work?

Carly 5-Piece Bathroom Accessory Set - Warm Wood · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/carly-5-piece-bath-accessory-set-prvw-vr~109676361

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Art on the walls is my suggestion. What type of pictures do you enjoy? Anything can be rendered artfully, in any medium. Finding something that makes you smile can be a lot of fun. Etsy, ebay, local art shows... Do you have an overhead light in the space? I totally understand how phone pics aren't to be trusted in their renderings of spaces. Everything is darker and yellower than in real life. Change the soap dispenser and guest towels as you see fit. No need to put anything on the counter, really. It just becomes a dust magnet, imo.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

One theme idea .. for lotta look:

Santa Fe Southwestern Bath Collection · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/santa-fe-southwestern-bath-collection-prvw-vr~142528648

• everdebz
    4 years ago

even this might look cute off in the left corner -- shape and use of it:

4.85 in. Matte Stainless Steel Dispenser · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/matte-dispenser-prvw-vr~51924527

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Until the tile wall goes, you won’t achieve much.

• rcarterworld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So...this is a guest bath. I am an abstract art type of chick. The tile was purposely placed there so it stays. There is overhead light. It’s not as dark as the picture portrays.

Had not thought about Capiz shell art for the wall...let me look into that further. I am really stuck on the counter decor. Looking for one simple piece for the left and then napkin and soap dispenser on the right?

• rcarterworld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

From hall