frostyfootball

Please help. Kitchen Backsplash & counter

frostyfootball
last modified: July 18, 2019

Figured it'd be easier to start a fresh post to avoid confusion...

Trying to determine a backsplash as it will be quite prominent.

White shaker cabs, wood-look porcelain tile floor. The quartz counter has super minimal brown vein. Also showing a gray counter. Picture probably doesn't do this justice, but the colors are nice together.

The home is in southwest Florida, thus the beach glass option.

A gray quartz silestone counter Ijust found

Other backspash ideas....glass brick and sea glass...really don't know what to do...

Backsplash applications:

1. Here is the scaled rendering of the kitchen (north wall only) with full backsplash coverage
  2. South wall is a serving counter: 9' row of lowers with counter and backsplash to the ceiling. No island.

Basically like a galley kitchen

• Shannon_WI

Here is your other thread on this topic. It's easier to follow advice on a topic when it's all on one thread so there is continuity.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5747684/cabinets-counters-backsplash-floor-do-these-work

• frostyfootball

Hi Shannon, there's so much irrelevant info on the old thread that I'm trying to narrow the focus to the issues at hand and the rendering on the table. Some posts are very off topic.

Need help with counter top and tile backsplash for a modern white kitchen

Zodiaq also has a Carrera option called Coarse Carrera that will give you similar patterning as the Lyra without the cost. Calcatta is gorgeous, but most times out of the budget. See this image - if you're starting with white, and want a little bit of color try for a thin gray mosaic. These are sold in sheets, so they'll be easier to install than broken joint subway tile. Also, the look is super contemporary (borderline modern), especially that they're stacked on top of each other. This might be a good direction to start in. Best of luck!

I need help with my kitchen counter-top / backsplash

I would suggest a white or gray colored mosaic backsplash with some pops of metallic accents (Bling) to go with the River White. Sometimes River White can look subtle and then busy in certain spots so I know what you mean about the clashing. Awesome choice with the dark cherry cabinets!

Help with counter tops and backsplash for kitchen renovation

I really like the geometric marble, as it's so different. You may have to treat it, but ask your supplier. The backsplash will then be the highlight and so as not to compete and be too busy, maybe consider a simple grey or white quartz counter. I would keep the counter the same color on the island and perhaps paint the bottom cabinetry black. houzz=]; [houzz=]

please help! Need counter top and back splash...

London Gray is not dark at all. I looked at the paint color and it's an off-white/cream. Just make sure that the shades go together,,I can't tell if there is some cream in the London Gray..if there is, then it should go very well with your cabinets
  • MarleneM

I like both your countertop options, the veined one to me would be more timeless. I’m not sure of your backsplash tile though. Two different veined surfacing don’t look right to me, and the glass tile is busy and while beautiful looks more suited to a bathroom. I’ve seen similar counters to the veined one with a light taupe glass subway and looked very nice.

frostyfootball thanked MarleneM
  • frostyfootball

Thank you for your thoughts, Marlene. The house is in SW Florida, so that's why I thought the beach glass for the coastal vibe.

• MarleneM

I see your vision and like the beachglass idea. I think it’s just the little pebble look that’s busy too me. Maybe something like below, the colour variation is more subtle. I think something like this colour variation but in a different shape like a elongated picket would be nice.

frostyfootball thanked MarleneM
  • jck910

Really the best way to approach the backsplash is Wait until the cabinets & countertops are installed.

frostyfootball thanked jck910
  • frostyfootball

Very pretty. I need a different color. Do you think the beach glass is any different than colorful penny mosaics?

• ljptwt7

I like your idea, but I think it looks a little "blah" like it needs some color. (But I like color and maybe you want pure neutral.) I also think the pebbles too small and afraid it may be too busy.
    If you don't mind color, maybe try a colored tile in beachy blues or teal or something that pulls at you for the beachy effect? Your other post mentioned this would be a feature wall so I hope you find something spectacular!
    Just my thoughts, I look forward to seeing your finished kitchen!

frostyfootball thanked ljptwt7
    Barnes Custom Builders

I did not read your other post..so this is just about what you've posted here.

I really like the top combination that you posted. I do agree that having veining in the counter and backsplash can be too much at times, but because that splash had a pattern and other colors, I think it works. OR - you could do that as an accent area (framed over the range?) and then do something like the above comment - a pretty subway that compliments the marble tile - in the rest of the areas.

I do not like the glass/pebble option. I think it looks like a shower accent tile.

I LOVE penny round tiles and they do make great colors! These might look more casual/cool with the gray counter.

frostyfootball thanked Barnes Custom Builders
  • frostyfootball

Thanks ljptwt. Blues/teal really don't lend to a cohesive scheme in the house. As for blah, not to me but I'm seeing it in real life. I was thinking all the materials are so neutral that the backsplash will be way more interesting and different. It's very sparkly and natural. People are using loud, colorful, busy, patterns everywhere now. Way busier. What am I missing?

• frostyfootball

How are these small pieces of glass 'busy' when they are in a muted field against white shaker and a quiet counter, but the encaustic tiles in a mix of sizes, shapes, colors, etc are not too busy for their applications?

• Karen Rose

I agree, wait until it’s all installed. I picked backsplash absolutely last. I think the seaglass, while pretty, might be overkill when it’s used for that much. That’s more of a small area use (like a shower niche for example). This was the hardest part of my kitchen remodel! And I just kept looking until I found the right one!

frostyfootball thanked Karen Rose
  • frostyfootball

Overkill......I was hoping for beautiful. Lights on it...sparkling against the quiet counter. and white cabinets.

• kariyava

I like the combination in your first picture

frostyfootball thanked kariyava
    Debbi Washburn

why not mix it up? Do the glass tile on the main side of the kitchen and a mix of the glass and the sea glass on the other side ( I apologize for my crude mock up )

Do some sort of border of the glass around a large center of the sea glass.. With some directional recessed lighting washing down the wall it would look quite pretty!

frostyfootball thanked Debbi Washburn
  • frostyfootball

Debbi! Thank you!!! my friend and I were just discussing the same thing. Using a complementary gray glass subway on one side but we didn’t know if it would make it look like two different kitchens. Your idea to bring in the glass on the feature wall is great.

Debbi Washburn

I am all for taking bigger risks with backsplash tile - I can't wait for everyone to get tired of white subway tile... If you want to bring the glass pebbles to the other side I would first discuss with whoever is doing the work to see how hard it is to cut that tile. this will help plan out that large wall so there is the least amount of " fighting " with that tile. The plain glass tile is the feature that ties the 2 sides of the room together...

Try getting some construction paper and cutting out tiles and taping them onto the wall and use newspaper as a representation of the sea glass so you can figure out the size and scale of what looks best...

Definitely post pictures when you figure it out!

frostyfootball thanked Debbi Washburn
  • frostyfootball

I hear you! I feel like, hey, this is a seasonal home near the Gulf so why not? Something different but within my design taste. I love seeing the large formats on other walls, but I like the idea of the beach glass for me. I want it to look nice but I hope it's not too much of a good thing overkill as was mentioned. I am trying to get an appointment with a designer nearby who is awesome. Will look forward to her thoughts when she sees the materials in person. I am always learning and open to criticism and ideas but also know everyone has different tastes. I just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

• mdln

Really like this, due to the color almost looks like small wet shells on the beach

frostyfootball thanked mdln
  • teddytoo

The sea glass is beautiful! I think with the rest of the kitchen being so neutral, this will be a wow factor. It woulwork in my not a beach house but I’m honestly board with grey and white kitchens with subway tile. They are beautiful but so overdone it will forever be a stamp of a late 20teens kitchen much like advocacy green and harvest gold or oak cabinets. Your sea glass is exciting and new. Please just go for it and post pics.

frostyfootball thanked teddytoo
    Debbi Washburn

Were you planning on leaving that wall with absolutely nothing on it? I think it would be great to have some floating shelves and some artwork so it won't be a complete wall of seas glass.

Big risk but big reward

IF you love it then go for it!

frostyfootball thanked Debbi Washburn
  • frostyfootball

mdln, it's so pretty in real life

• frostyfootball

Debbi, I was planning on letting IT be the artwork and having the lights on the big wall. Sparkles so pretty and colors are so interesting to me. But, I will wait and see on that until it's finished. I can always do the open shelves in some driftwood or similar organic material, right? Technically I think it's inspired by beach glass vs actual. Maybe shelves like....???

• Sara

I think if you like it you should do it. You’ve asked opinions and some folks aren’t fans-you’ll get opinions if you ask for them and I know it can be painful or disappointing.

I will agree that it’s super beach and fun but might also be a pain to keep clean.

frostyfootball thanked Sara
  • frostyfootball

I'm fatigued by almost all geometrics, arabesque, linear pieces and products lacking texture.

• frostyfootball

Barnes, I have a question. Don't you think penny rounds are the go-to shower floor if the glass is the shower wall? I love the whimsical nature of penny rounds in different colors, but would think that would look like polka dots on as much backsplash as I have.

• D N

I see why you like the sea glass. To me, it’s not that it’s “too busy”; it’s that it looks like it could be a nightmare to keep clean in a kitchen setting (suspended grease particles in air + dust.) My equal concern would be individual glass pebbles falling out over time, especially at the edge lines.

But I applaud anyone doing anything different than what I see so much of these days!

frostyfootball thanked D N
    Barnes Custom Builders

Frosty - I kind of agree on the penny round shower comment. Which totally contradicts my 'shower accent' comment about the sea glass tile.

Perhaps it would be better suited on a smaller area of backsplash.

If you love the seaglass tile, do that. It's your space and I think it will work with the counter and cabinets you selected. I'd love to see a sheet of it grouted.

• ljptwt7

Frosty...love that shelf you posted. That would look cool on your seaglass!

frostyfootball thanked ljptwt7
  • traci_from_seattle

I like the beach glass but would want to see it grouted on sample boards before making my final decision as that can sometimes completely alter the look.

• frostyfootball

Great idea, Barnes and Traci (grouting)

Debbi Washburn

Take your sample and get some fine sand at the craft store - pour it over the tile and it will give you the feel of it being grouted... they sell it in different colors...

Depending on the adhesive they use to install it, you might leave it ungrouted... I actually had a customer once who loved how the tile looked with out grout that she left it that way.. It was in a kitchen... Just a thought..

I love the floating shelf! Maybe just 2 and off set from eachother

• frostyfootball

After seeing the sea glass grouted, it’s out. It didn’t look like a glass field it reminded me of a pebble tile shower floor. I knew when it was grouted it wouldn’t allow for the sun on the sides like the sample (this happened to me with another sample) but the glass pieces appeared closer than they are so the grout takes on a big life. Additionally, when I put a couple pieces together, they didn’t fit nicely so there’d have been a lot of adjustments the tile guy would have to do. No thanks.

I’m back to selecting and am now considering a Cristallo quartzite with a quiet backsplash or a plain quartz with an interesting backsplash.

• frostyfootball

Debi, very interesting about going without grout. That would definitely be a consideration if the pieces interlocked seamlessly but they don’t. :(

Debbi Washburn

A tile like that has to be manipulated during an install, just like the mosaics mounted on mesh do not install side by side. You could create your own splash. Get a board and find a lot of sea glass pebbles and glue them on - no grout... You will think of something interesting...

• frostyfootball

ok, very weird but comments were reverse ordered today with most recent on top. Is this a new feature here?

• D N

@frostyfootball, yes, it's the latest "improvement." :-(

• frostyfootball

Looks like it reversed again. LOL