Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon494

What is the best garage storage solution?

brandon494
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm looking for the best organisational tools and I can't decide if I should go with cabinets or drawers.

Comments (8)

• User
    4 years ago

Slat wall with all of the myriads of accessories that will fit it.

brandon494 thanked User
  • User
    4 years ago

Cabinets don’t fit takes and inner tubes and gas cans as well as organizing them in the open. Add a good tool chest to the mix for actual tools. And overhead storage for large bulky things like tents and sleeping bags.

brandon494 thanked User
  • wdccruise
    4 years ago

My dad had a garage workbench and a pegboard behind it on which he hung all his tools. He put other things (e.g., paint cans, pool supplies) on open shelves so they'd be easy to find and mounted very deep shelves high over the hoods of the cars -- which I used to crawl around in.

I don't have a garage but I like Closet Maid adjustable wire shelves and I put stuff I want to keep together (e.g., sandpaper, paint brushes) in clear bins of various sizes, some with lids and some without. I have a tool box for my tools; I'd get a tool chest if I had a lot.

There are wall-mounted stands for bikes.

• branson4020
    4 years ago

The best storage solution is getting rid of stuff.

• fnmroberts
    4 years ago

Must agree with branson4020, however being organized for how you work is next best. I don't do much mechanical or project work in my garage, have a basement workshop.

These photos show 3 sides or our garage - 2-car. A cabinet for small items to always be handy. Slatwall for hanging, shelving for larger seasonal items and storage tubs plus a stand-alone shelving unit. The shelving unit is on casters and behind is a "sleeve" where storm door inserts are kept. Floor space can quickly be vacated for cleaning.

• Izzy Mn
    4 years ago

Depends on how much you want to spend. I used some discontinued lower kitchen cabinets with drawers and doors. Probably could get some used ones from a reuse store if you want to save even more. Then just a length of a laminate top you can get pretty inexpensive off the self at home improvement. I painted the inside and outside of the cabinets with left over semigloss paint.

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    4 years ago

I find cabinets are far superior to drawers. My 3-bay garage is pretty squared away and I like it organized and de-junked. One of the keys is to toss out anything you have used in the past three years. Pegboard works well where applicable. Mine used to be a mess, too. Took out five pickup loads of junk to the dump (old wood moldings, parts from cars long gone, etc).