Software
Houzz Logo Print
deb_s49

HELP !! Need suggestions on color pallet & de-country kitchen

7 years ago

I just purchased this property as a rental - so I need to keep a tight budget- and appeal to a young couple as the house is a 2 bd 2 ba. I feel the kitchen is outdated and colors are too gold.


I would like to remove the metal tiles, curtains and corbel shelf in the kitchen and install open shelving one the available walls (rustic brown floating perhaps?) but i need a new color pallet that flows from the kitchen to the fam room to the sun porch.


Kitchen has original hardwoods- owner put laminate in the fam room which we need to pull up-- hoping floors are in salvageable shape.


I would love to do the sunporch in a deep saturated color (maybe blue)- would it make sense to balance with the kitchen in the same blue then a grey in the fam room with the white wainscotting?


Please help !!! how do I bring a 90's kitchen into current without a complete cabinet change out


Re the windows between the fam room and sun room (which I had posted previously) we are going to try to widen and close up the windows OR we are going to remove the windows and install cabinets in the lower half -- an idea that was posted on a different thread a few weeks ago (unless there are other suggestions.


Thanks in advance for guidance/ advice






Comments (24)

  • 7 years ago

    I would start by removing the kitchen curtains and valence—leave window bare or put up a simple solid color shade. Take down the small cabinet and the little statues, the old fashioned clocks, and any other small decorative items. If you have the money, you might want to take down the tin tiles on the kitchen wall and put up something more neutral and modern.

    deb s thanked Laurie Radin
  • 7 years ago

    I’d like to edit what I just wrote. The tin backsplash gives it a unique look so maybe should be saved, but I would remove the shelf to the left of the stove. The cream colored large bookshelves have a very country look, but I’m not sure how to deal with them other than take them out.

    deb s thanked Laurie Radin
  • 7 years ago

    What is the rental market like in your area? Will the rental amount cover the mortgage and the money spent on improvements? You need to look at this property as a business and keep as much money in your pocket as possible. You may have to paint and replace flooring after your first tenant moves out. From the pictures, your property looks freshly painted and updated. I do like the idea of removing the curtains though. You could allow the tenants to paint the walls with your approval and make it a stipulation that they may have to repaint when they move out.

    deb s thanked love2browse
  • 7 years ago

    Rental market is strong in this town- its is rated #18 school system in the state so its a desirable town. The commuter rail into NYC is across the street and the immediate area is developing into a very cute downtown shopping area with high end restaurants etc. My competition is new build condos/townshouses with high end finishes but 0 yard, adjoining walls etc.. The rent will be priced under those new builds. This house has a large, private, well landscaped yard and spacious first floor. I will also accept small dogs So I have a 15K budget to do design updates to get to a higher end renter (think millennial couple or couple from NYC that will move a little further up the rail system for a yard)

  • 7 years ago

    I agree the tin back splash is a great feature!! The shelf could be modernized-made more sleek vs chunky but it would be a great place for cook books. Also I can hear an HGTV designer swooning over the corbel finds! The cabinet I would remove is above to the right of the dishwasher, and up against the monster 'fridge. Too kitchy. Too many "collected" shelving units!!! Agree on the curtains, and unless you want sloppy paint drips I would be cautious about letting just any ole renter go at this place with a paint brush.

    deb s thanked arcy_gw
  • 7 years ago

    I really like the tin backsplash - really adds personality. I'd personally want to remove most of the open shelving and replace with closed cabinets or lower drawers - but that's for me 1) I have cats - which renters likely won't have, and 2) my dishes rather clash with each other (yeah, I know, time to replace mine... but enough other things on my mind including not wasting things that are far from being complete sets but are otherwise functional...) Your - or renters' - mileage may differ.

    I do like the clock over the shelf by the range, but the other knick knacks should go. Or when you finish here, if the clock doesn't work there, find another place for it in your own home. If it's functional, you could probably get a good price on e-bay for it. (Although the décor is, I'm guessing now, what the previous owners had, and it went with them...?)

    Yes to removing the existing curtains and valence over the kitchen window. Renters would probably prefer the option of a simple shade over leaving that unadorned - even if the window doesn't face neighbors or let in too much sun. Just for privacy, which some people require more than others.

    The paint colors you suggest sound great.


    deb s thanked artemis_ma
  • 7 years ago

    Clear off the window and put a simple blind. Paint out the bookshelves (possibly the same as the walls) and lose the weathered look. If you hate the tin tiles, try painting them glossy white before you go to the trouble of ripping them out. Remove the shelf by the stove and the one by the sink. Keep the wall color light as you have a lot of wood in there.

    deb s thanked Mary Wiggenhorn
  • 7 years ago

    It's a rental property. Paint it a neutral color. Put plain window blinds in the windows. Make certain that everything is in working order. Put combination locks on the door that you can program with codes. These are easily changed when your tenant leaves or is evicted. You are done.

    The fact that you are willing to take pets means that you will have lots of applicants. The pictures show that this is a good rental unit. Good units are hard to find.

    There really isn't a need to appeal to anyone. Renters are looking for clean and in good repair.

    Keep the laminate floor. Unless you are selling it, the flooring needs to be durable. Check the roof and the HVAC.

    As a landlord, your first priority is safety. The second is security. The last is habitable and clean. Decorating doesn't even apply. Most of the country elements of the rooms shown are in the furnishings. That's easily fixed. You will have to learn to think in very different terms as a landlord.

    Include landscaping service and snow clearance in the rent. Hire someone professional to do this. You can't depend on tenants to do these jobs regularly. It's best to charge for them up front.

    There are websites that are set up to provide you with rental contracts, background checks and guidance.

    I do all of my advertising on Zillow.com and Trulia.com. I don't even bother with Craig's List due to the number of scammers and hustlers. Treat this like a business. Your success is directly related to the quality of the tenant. Be very picky. Learn how to do a credit and background check. Be certain to put in a late rental payment fee. Make certain that you understand how to evict a tenant.

    While I hope you find a nice couple, remember, this is a business. Be professional and treat it like one. It's better to rent for little less and get a high quality tenant than get a little extra money and take an undependable tenant. You will learn this.

  • 7 years ago

    Is this the current renters' decor?


    Do you have any inspiration photos that show the look you want? The kitchen will look considerably more streamlined without the country table, storage units, curtains, and wall knickknacks.


    You could ask the sellers what's under the laminate before you remove it. Sometimes sellers are happy to respond to questions.

    deb s thanked apple_pie_order
  • 7 years ago

    apple pie - yes there are hardwoods under the laminate - he is a nervous seller so wouldnt disclose what type of shape they are in.


    photos i posted are of the listing so the white open shelves are gone, the knick knacks are gone etc


    I dont have inspiration photos -- usually I can look at something and the inspiration pops - its the tin tiles that are throwing me for a loop as they are not my style - but its a rental so I figured getting an opinion from a larger community (this site) may guide my thinking


    The ceiling are high so its a nice dramatic room

  • 7 years ago

    Agree to leave the tin tiles - they are fun and different. Perfect for a rental. Also agree to remove the curtains- I wouldn’t touch the cabinets at all except for hardware. Can you remove that scroll looking thing on the cabinet face under the sink? That’s the biggest 90’s piece to me, personally!

    deb s thanked Kate E
  • 7 years ago

    Changing out the open shelves for new white painted ones and adding a new washable Roman blind in a warm linen color would be fine with the nice tin backsplash.

    What I'd spend money on is dog-proofing the flooring. Consulting a floor pro would be a good idea to see if you could add a couple more coats of polyurethane to the existing finish. As for the hardwood under the new laminate: had it been cheaper to redo the floors, the homeowner would probably have done that (as he clearly took pride in the character of the house).

    deb s thanked apple_pie_order
  • 7 years ago

    With all of the previous owner's things removed, I wouldn't do much more than paint the main floor a warm off-white that will work with the existing woodwork, cabinetry, and flooring. I suspect grey will bring out the orange more.

    No new window-coverings (leave that for the tenants to do), no new backsplash, no new flooring. Save your money for cleaning and repairing when the small dogs leave.

    deb s thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Other than valances, and too many shelves of different kind that are there to cover the storage issue I believe-I don't see anything bad about the kitchen. The wood is actually back, the tiles are fun. I'd leave the corbel shelf, and one of a free standing pieces (I'd be inclined to leave a narrow one..looks more different thus more intentional:) also can be reused as a bookcase or whatever, if renters don't like in the kitchen). BTW-different color/a tad different style hutches in kitchens gain big popularity recently. If you're worried about what's dated..

    Bottom line-if you really want to tackle storage-take both shelves out, put in over the counter cabs in different color, similar style..done. Switch the knobs for bigger ones -can make a very pleasing difference. Not that the ones you have are bad.

    It looks like a nice house, I wouldn't overhaul things too much. As for color scheme-as long as you keep colors related(same degree of mutedness/brightness for example) it'll be harmonious and work. Give the renters the possibility to repaint if they wish-and repaint back when they're out.

    I'd personally leave the windows between rooms-unless they interfere with functionality a lot. You'll know better as you know the space. These are good windows:) They don't make anything like these for cheap no more:)

    People with kids and pets will be overjoyed to rent this place. I know I'd be. Don't worry too much about newest high end finishes that often only look high end, and condos that are cool(I spent most of my life in apartments, condos and townhouses) but are different kind of living arrangements, with pros and cons of their own.

    I was a renter for many years, and nothing would scare me off your place. Except for yard maintenance and only if very complicated.

    Laminate is better for pets, or so I heard. (I've a friend that owns three big dogs. And two cats. And lots of smaller pets. and two pythons)) In short she knows what she talks about))

    But of course if you want continious flooring makes sense to pull it out still.

    If you're ok with pets-already brings you many people in. If you're cheaper than other places-multiply your appeal.

    Bottom line-your kitchen, in terms of colors and all, is moving very fast into a direction of current. Maybe not everybody figured it out yet-but they who're really into what's going on-they know..:)

    Streamline storage a bit, get rid of several things, you'll be just fine. Your renters will be too.

    deb s thanked aprilneverends
  • 7 years ago

    I love this kitchen. Curtains have to go but otherwise, I'd rent it for sure!

    deb s thanked sheepla
  • 7 years ago

    Agree with the others that I wouldn't do much at all...why spend money when you don't have to? How long before you recoup that 15k?

    deb s thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Why don't you post again once the seller's stuff is out and you have determined what shape the wood floors are in? If it is the same wood as the kitchen, then it is possible to refinish all of them to match and to get rid of some of the orange tone. Which way do you want to go with your color palette? If you want to go cool, you may be able to spray paint the tiles silver, but the countertop will still be warm.

    deb s thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 7 years ago

    It’s adorable. White curtains is all

    deb s thanked Stacey
  • 7 years ago

    Did the white freestanding shelves leave with the previous owners? What about the brown upper between the sink and the refrigerator? I'm assuming both did, but wanted to check.

    As others have said, I think you're planning to do a lot more than you need to do. Leave the tin tiles. I think you could even leave the one open shelf, though if you're going to add other open shelves, replace it to make them all consistent. I don't think adding open shelves is super important, though. This kitchen 1) needs more storage, and 2) has a variety of places in which renters could easily add their own additional storage, customized to their own style and needs. Some might like open storage, which others prefer a closed hutch. Empty wall spaces lets each renter do what works for them.

    Remove the curtains. Don't pick a particular color scheme (what if potential renters have different tastes than you do?), just paint everything (walls and trim) in the same nice warm off-white to coordinate with the warm floors and cabinets. That keeps it neutral but current, which is what you want for a rental.

    You can certainly see about removing the windows between the family room and the sunroom. I'd only do it if you could closet them up and widen the cased opening. Either way, though I don't think it will make a big difference in your ability to rent this place or what you'll be able to charge.

    I probably would try to refinish all the floors to a single flooring throughout, as that will give it an overall higher-end look, which might affect the rental rate.

    The other big thing that jumps out at me is that the vent hood is too small for the range. I'd probably replace it for both function and aesthetic reasons.

    It looks like a really charming place that will appeal to pet owners, people that want a yard, people who don't want shared wall/floors/ceiling, and to people who prefer character over trendy, cookie-cutter spaces. And there are lots of all of those out there.

    deb s thanked Kristin S
  • 7 years ago

    I wouldn’t spend a dime UNLESS you can’t get a market rate renter in there quickly. Save that $15k and reassess after the first year IF the tenant moves out and you can assess how the house has held up to a renter. Or of course your tenant might love it and you pocket the $15k and put it towards your next investment property or your maintenance rainy day fund.

    deb s thanked NYCish
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The metal tiles are easy to clean. I like the kitchen and would probably rent the house based it being in this condition. It sure beats the shack we rented out in Caliweird near Beale AFB in a rough neighborhood. The stove was sinking, random leaking of bathroom sink and a horrible swamp cooler.

    deb s thanked ocotillaks
  • 7 years ago

    I’ll be the naysayer re the tin tiles — not a fan. I’d maybe do something simple in maybe a cream color—not expensive but more neutral and less country.

    deb s thanked HKO HKO
  • 7 years ago

    Another thought is to replace the shelves to the left of the window with a white bookcase with baskets on the bottom couple of shelves for extra storage and a cleaner look.

    deb s thanked Mary Wiggenhorn