Software
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_mayer33

LaCanche Ranges

7 years ago

I am comparing the Cluny 1400, Chagny 1400, Fontenay and Citeaux.


Things I like about the Cluny 1400:

1. 2 small ovens

2. Warming Cupboard

3. Can choose a rangetop option


Things I like about the Chagny 1400:

1. 2 small ovens

2. Warming Cupboard

3. Can choose a rangetop option

4. Addition of the broiler 6" tall oven (wondering if this would get used, I love to bake but there are 2 bigger ovens for that)


Things I like about the Fontenay:

1. Large oven (though I think the smaller ovens would work well for me)

2. 2 warming cupboards

3. Can choose a rangetop option


Things I like about the Citeaux:

1. Large oven

2. Warming Cupboard

3. Vertical oven

4. Can choose a rangetop option


Thoughts:

I am still debating whether to go with the traditional frenchtop or the classique 18,000 BTU burner, if I get the traditional frenchtop can I still use my huge (14") pan?

Is it worth it to get the 6" tall broiler oven, I know the other electric ovens can also broil? And can broiling replace grilling?

I am in-love with the warming cupboards, I love that I can keep food warm if someone is running late, I love that I can warm plates/serving ware. I love that I can use it as a slow cooker too. I do not know if it would be over-kill to go with a range that has 2 of these. I like that the Cluney 1400 and the Chagny 1400 have a second small/normal oven. I also really like that the Citeaux has a vertical oven as a second oven. If they made 1 I could go for 1 warming cupboard, 1 vertical oven and 1 small/normal oven.


I will also have a single wall oven that has a rotisserie in it.


Which of these ranges would you choose?


Rangetop options that I am also looking at:

1. Flame Grill

2. Plancha


I love grilled food, my thoughts are that I could always get a griddle plate but it would be harder to replicate the grill. That said, I do also currently use a griddle plate at very high heat on my GE cooktop and have found that very convenient compared to using a pan. I don't currently get to grill very much because of not being good with propane and charcoal being very messy (plus weather).

If I get the flame grill can I put a griddle plate on that when I want to use one?

Comments (19)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    None of the above. A 60” Bluestar would give you everything you really need, with far more capability, in a color, and still fit a full sheet pan in the 30” oven.

  • 7 years ago

    I am not interested in Bluestar. This is the only brand I am interested in. I do not like the pro-look ranges. Your comment is not helpful, I am only looking to hear from people who have LaCanche.

  • 7 years ago

    Apologies, I did not mean to come off that way.

    I honestly thought I was just being direct, like in my post where I mentioned I prefer the smaller ovens, such as the reason I really like the small 13" wide vertical oven and that the warming cupboard is a must-have.


    I have seen many threads on here of just the brand that I am looking at and I was only expecting answers ether comparing the specific features I mentioned on the ones I listed.

  • 7 years ago

    I’m not much help because our kitchen isn’t finished so I’m still eagerly awaiting my Chassagne. We chose that one because of the larger oven, even though there are several threads here saying that the smaller one is fine. Originally we were going to do the Chagny 1400 and I do wonder if we will regret not getting the broiler.


    We chose an induction hob as our rangetop option and I wanted the French top, but we couldn’t do that because of the induction. I was also interested in the multi cooker option but we didn’t want to have to plumb for it.

  • 7 years ago

    K G, That is exactly what I am wondering. Would I regret not having the option of the broiler.


    For perspective, I grew up using a 24" wall oven (18" wide interior, I just measured it) and currently use 2 counter top ovens that are smaller than the small ovens in the LaCanche ranges. 1 fits a 11" pan and the other fits a 13" pan.


    That is interesting to know that with the induction you can't have the french top. I will admit the multi cooker was tempting, I just felt I would use a plancha or flame grill more. If space didn't matter I would consider going up a size and get both.


    Are you doing the two 11,000 BTU burners or the 18,000 BTU big burner?

  • 7 years ago

    We are doing two 11,000 BTU burners. I have heard that even the standard burners are very hot so I wanted the extra burner.

  • 7 years ago

    We chose the Chagney 1400 with the traditional French plate 5 years ago. Very happy with our choice. We use the small boiler all the time. It is perfect for roasting veggies, baking quiche and cornbread in. I got them optional griddle also. We chose the Chagney for the warming cabinet and small boiler and have been extremely happy with it.

  • 7 years ago

    Garderner2014, funny you should mention that. I make quiche often and was wondering if it got the correct temperature for that. I also have been trying to make more healthy meals so very good to know it can be used to roast veggies, leaving the other ovens available for items requiring more room or a different temperature. ^_^

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Bonjour Carolyn! Such an exiting time :)

    You can definitely combine induction with a French top on certain Ranges, it all depends on original hob configuration and Range size :). Please let us know if you have any questions large or small, and very happy planning :)

    merci !


    Blair | Lacanche US

    blair@frenchranges.com

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Carolyn, not sure if you ordered yet, or not. We are awaiting delivery of our Cluny 1400 in a few weeks. Yay! I debated between the Cluny and the Chagny, and ultimately decided that the small broiling oven was not worth it to me. I almost never broil, but if I needed to, I can still broil in one of the ovens.


    As for your top options, no matter what range brand I was looking at (I considered a Lacache about halfway through my search), appliance stores told me to NOT install a grill in the range. They are messy and grilling should really be left for outside. We did consider the Plancha, but ultimately went with the Classique top and the induction hob. We also ordered the cast iron accessory to use over top 2 of the gas burners. It serves 2 purposes: 1. you can cook on it and 2. you can use it to food items, as a prep space, etc while you're cooking.


    As for the size of the ovens. Yes, they are smaller than our standard US size, but when I looked at all of my cooking dishes, I only had to replace a few things. I had to get a roasting pan where the handles pointed in towards the pan, not out. All-Clad makes one that fits perfectly. The other thing that I will have to do without is my cookie sheets, but I did order extras from Lacanche when I ordered my range. Oh, and my 1/2 sheet cake pan. But no problem, I will just purchase some 1/4 sheet pans to roast veggies and such on.


    I would really consider how you cook. If you need 2 ovens (which was my main goal), then go with the Cluny or Chagny. So excited for you! Btw, what color are you considering?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Hi Carolyn, I honestly think no matter which way you decide to go with your Lacanche, you will love it!

    I have a Cluny 1400 and I also debated the same ranges and concerns that you have mentioned. I have been using my Cluny 1400 for just over 4 years for my family of six and there hasn't been anything I couldn't do with it. I love having two ovens especially during the holidays or when I throw large parties, which is very often. Having a second oven at Thanksgiving allows me to cook the turkey in one (I have cooked a 22 lb turkey in the ovens) and the sides in the other oven. I move the sides to the warming oven once they finish cooking. Having the two ovens allows me to cook things at different temperatures. And the warming oven can hold a surprising amount of food!

    I also like having the smaller ovens for everyday cooking because what I am cooking fix nicely in the smaller oven. When I had my old American sized oven, I never filled the cavity accept during holidays.

    As for burners BTU's, the Lacanche people can really help you decide which ones are best for you and the way you cook. I am very pleased with my removable French plate, it allows me to cooks delicate sauces, melt butter or chocolate, keep food warm or simmering on my range and I also have the ability to remove it or move it to another area of the range as needed.

    I absolutely love my Lacanche and I so pleased that I purchased it, not only does it look beautiful in my kitchen it cooks fantastically and they are built to last. I fully expect to hand my Lacanche down to one of my children! And, I would definately buy another one if I ever need a range for another kitchen.

    Please let me know if you have any more questions!

  • 7 years ago

    Can any Lacanche owners with a convection oven comment on how even the baking experience is? Do you have to rotate cookies or cakes to get the best results? I’m having a difficult time finding reviews of convection baking experiences.
    Thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'm 99% certain there is no convection bake setting. Is that what you mean?

  • 7 years ago

    Holly, please contact Art Culinaire / Lacanche, I am sure they can answer your question on the convection ovens. I only have gas and electric ovens, which bake wonderfully. The Lacanche ranges come with pastry sheets that ensure even baking.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Bonjour Holly!


    Very happy to chat regarding all things Lacanche ovens :) It is to note that on the more intimate 'Cluny' ovens, convection is not an option, where as on the larger 'Sully' size ovens, our electric ovens offer a toggle switch to move between static and convection baking, depending on your specific cooking needs. Please feel free to write me at blair@frenchranges.com and I'll gladly see what questions I can answer, large or small.

    Merci !


    Blair | Lacanche US


  • 6 years ago

    @Holly Hoye Am I too late? I posted my thoughts about the convection ovens on another discussion. I raved about my Vougeot's even cooking convection oven. Here is a picture (Sorry to repeat for those that have seen them) of some croissants made beautiful by the Lacanche.


  • 6 years ago

    Hello All, First of all I want to chime in that I did not think Caroline was being snotty, I appreciate the directness.


    Second, I am currently debating what type of range to get and it has been really far more challenging than I thought. It seems the brands I like for looks just do not get solidly good reviews for performance or service. I love the looks of Ilve or Hallman, Aga Elise, La Cornue Cornu Fe, Big Chill Classic, and LaCanche. I would definitely like a gas top with two ovens and something with color options and brass knobs. But I have not been able to see some of the models in person (I am in a large market so it is surprising that none of the distributors have floor models for Ilve, Big Chill Classic, Aga, CornuFe).


    I can choose almost any size as this is new construction but I don't think I want anything larger than 48".


    And the range will be installed on an island so I am also trying to determine how service will be managed for the brands I like should something happen which seems to be the most difficult. I get lots of "we will help you get service" but nobody actually does the service themselves and the local appliance repair folks only service Viking and Wolff for high end brands.


    So far La Canche is the only brand that covers all the bases but it is 35-50% more in cost and in absolute dollars that is between $3-$7K (yikes). In the long run, if I am saved the hassle of some of the horror stories (wow, have you all read the better business bureau reviews on Hallman, eek) then I suppose it is worth it. I do like that there are no digital parts so i believe it will be something that lasts and is fairly easy to repair.


    I am not a major chef so I do not know if the lack of a convection feature is a deal killer for me (I too am leaning towards the Cluny) but I do love the idea of one electric and one gas range. As for oven size I have to believe it will be manageable, I don't cook for dozens of people. But that is the paradox, do I really need such a high end range? The answer is no regarding performance, but the answer is yes for looks and ease of maintenance.


    In this day and age of internet information it can be very hard !!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hi S F. Please know that the ovens in the Cluny have never been too small for the owners who I have chatted with. That said, you do have to put the pans in with the handles front to back instead of side to side. That was a game changer for me. I bought a Vougeot with a warming cabinet. I couldn't live without the warming cabinet. I have a convection oven that browns very evenly. Roasting is better in gas, baking with convection. I have had 0 problems and the range is 12 yo.