gardengal48

The eucryphia are in bloom!!

Our local library has a number of these large shrubs/small trees scattered throughout their landscaping. It is always a joy to see them in bloom as they do so very heavily, are lightly fragrant and are not the most common evergreen shrub/tree around either. Somewhat borderline for this zone but they seem to do very well in my area, as I see more and larger examples here than just about anywhere else in the region.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Takes me back to my Dads garden. He had a big Nymansay. Lovely trees.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • dbarron

Other than this picture, I have no idea what you said. But looks nice anyway!

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked dbarron
    The Logician LLC

Thanks for reviving the Eucryphia topic.

One of my E. intermedia "Rostrevor". Shadow-measured at 37 feet a few years ago, not much taller in 2019. Above picture begins about 8 feet up from ground. Prior to peak bloom.

Same tree from the south at peak bloom, about 12 feet above ground and up. Has reliably bloomed for 20+ years but this is the first year of even, profuse bloom for this tree.

Petal drop. Tree is in SE Portland, planted 1993. Oddly, this is the first year my E. lucida 'Pink Cloud' has zero blossoms. My nearby E. hybrida (Lucida x Milliganii) is blooming also.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked The Logician LLC
  • Sara Malone Zone 9b

I have two babies. I can't wait until they get bigger!

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • socalnolympia

Could anyone tell me what they smell like?

I'm not sure how to describe it.....just a light and very pleasing floral scent.

The Logician LLC

Aroma is very similar to the white blossoms of wild Morning Glory.