Software
Houzz Logo Print
gle2011

Question About Over-seeding

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

HI,

I live in Central Massachusetts zone 5b and I want to prepare for the over-seeding of my backyard in early September.

The builder slice seeded in early October of last fall and this is what germinated this year. We think he applied a pre-emergent this past spring, but can not be certain if he did or not.

I am not sure what the light green grass is.

Can anyone please identify it if possible and recommend what I should do if anything prior to the over-seeding.

Would it be okay to weed whack the light green grass area very short; over-seed and apply a starter fertilizer?

I have attached two pictures to show what I am dealing with.

Thank You





Comments (25)

  • 7 years ago

    Not 100% sure but it kind of looks like Zoysia, which would be thriving right now.


    Certainly not the grass you want in MA.


    Can you ask the guy what he put down?

    gle2011 thanked Joe BigBlue
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I took another picture in another area of the backyard

    Could it be crabgrass?

    If that is crabgrass will the weed whacking down to the surface and over-seeding work?

    Thanks



  • 7 years ago

    Pull some out and take a pic of the roots; then we can tell better if it's crabgrass....

    gle2011 thanked Joe BigBlue
  • 7 years ago

    does this help?

    Thanks






  • 7 years ago

    I'm not sure if that's sedge, but it's not crabgrass.

    Whatever it is I don't think you want it in your lawn....

    gle2011 thanked Joe BigBlue
  • 7 years ago

    Does anyone know the protocol to rid the lawn of whatever this grassy weed is prior to re-seeding?

    Do I need to use "Round-up?"

  • 7 years ago

    I would think so; not sure of any other way to get rid of that much of it.

    gle2011 thanked Joe BigBlue
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Joe,

    Do you know the steps that need to be taken to do the job correctly?

    Thanks

  • 7 years ago

    Ordinarily, I'd say hit the entire lawn with Tenacity but it looks like your desirable grass could be predominantly fine fescue from what I can tell, so that wouldn't be a good option. I agree that it has the color and upright posture of a sedge.

    gle2011 thanked mishmosh
  • 7 years ago

    Get out there this week and spray all the areas where it is.

    Do it again a week later.

    Mow low and bag the clippings.

    Overseed 1st week of September.

    gle2011 thanked Joe BigBlue
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Landscaper was here today, I asked him what he slice seeded with last fall.

    I claims it's crabgrass or weed seed from the topsoil used from on site material.

    He will be applying Round-up to kill it off.

    He plans on coming back after August 15th to hydo- seed with a KBG, Fescue, and rye blend, (an athletic field blend).

    It's a 55+ community, HOA controlled.

    I don't think I have a choice on what he uses, unless I do it myself.

    Your thoughts would be appreciated

  • 7 years ago

    Well, that's good that he's taking care of it. It saves you a ton of work.


    Just remember to water 3x a day for a month.

    gle2011 thanked Joe BigBlue
  • 7 years ago

    I spoke with the landscaper yesterday, he thinks the grass / weed I show in the picture above is a perennial rye.

    I told him I was going to apply round-up to it and re-seed he was not to pleased.

    I guess I inherited a fall project.

  • 7 years ago

    gle2011

    I guess I inherited a fall project.



    UMass Ext. says Aug 15 - Sept 15 is “best” for seeding.


    gle2011 thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • 7 years ago

    Can sedge grow naturally or could it be part of an over-seeding attempt by the landscaper?

    Is it a common practice to use this type of grass if in fact it was part of an over-seeding attempt?

  • 7 years ago

    I don't think anyone tries to plant sedge grass; it's an undesirable weed. Most lawns can get it in the summer.

    BTW, that does not look like rye to me at all; I think the landscaper is full of it.

    gle2011 thanked Joe BigBlue
  • 7 years ago

    I agree.

    Trying to get out of any extra work assigned to him.

  • 7 years ago

    might be annual ryegrass which is sometimes used as a nurse grass. should die out after a year. not sure I'd round it up until i can ID that grass with certainty.

    gle2011 thanked mishmosh
  • 7 years ago

    HI Mishmosh,

    Any thoughts on how to ID the grass?

    I haven't found anyone here in the forum that can ID it.

    I Googled annual rye and the pictures do not look very similar.


    Would you re-seed over it?

    I was thinking of weed whacking it down as close to the soil level and possible and then re-seeding.

    Your thoughts?

    Thanks

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    With help and continued research I think I have finally ID the weed grass as a Nutsedge.

    When you have a large infestation like I have how do you go about re-seeding the area?

    From what I have read from University of Purdue Extension Service

    Late spring/early summer (when it is young and actively growing) is the ideal time to control yellow nutsedge. During its early growth stages, yellow nutsedge has not started producing tubers and is most susceptible to control with herbicides. As the summer progresses, nutsedge plants form seedheads and tubers.

    Thanks in advance

  • 7 years ago

    rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

    This may be nutty, but it that a sedge? (July 31)


    gle2011

    With help and continued research I think I have finally ID the weed grass as a Nutsedge (August 14)



    gle2011 thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • 7 years ago

    Pull up a couple and look for 1/8 inch size seeds attached to the roots. If they are there it is Nutsedge

    gle2011 thanked toolbelt68
  • 7 years ago

    Toolbelt68

    do the pictures above help ID it?

    Thanks

  • 7 years ago

    Sort of but if you go to google image search you should find some matching photos. Note the seeds at the top of the plant in the pictures. If your has those then it's nutsedge.


    gle2011 thanked toolbelt68