nancyinri

Help With Backsplash Please!

NewEnglandgal
last modified: July 31, 2019

Looking for ideas to steer me in the right direction for my backsplash and also what to do over my cooktop.
I like color and prefer not to have neutrals unless necessary.
I will add pictures in the comments as well.

Perimeter countertop

Island countertop will be leathered.

• NewEnglandgal

very pretty mom! I am still looking as well bc what I have for first chouce may not work. I'll know once the counter is in.

Need help with backsplash please.

Hi there jsb, I love the granite you've selected, but not so crazy about the caramel subway tile. Perhaps it's the way the caramel looks on my computer, but I worry that it has a nude look that will stand out next to bisque cabinets. Consider a creamier white or the lightest color in your granite. Good luck.

help with backsplash please

No, it was installed by local people (I am in Chile) but the dilemma was that the brick is not even this is why it left a big gap that they used a think layer of caulking. I am having a hard time attaching pictures.

I need help with back splash please

Yes.. sometimes I see a bit of green my self but I really don't want to pull that out. . But other times its just like you said. . mocha, gold, orange and allot of gray..lol. Why do I do this to my self. .lol Everything I pick, makes my next decision much harder...lol. Any help will be appreciated...I do like the travertine but was wondering if that might be to much stone in one area. ..Marble, granite and travertine

Need help with backsplash please

Actually like lynnie's idea and choices of backsplash she posted. If mosaics feel too busy with your granite around the perimeter, try a gray or smoke glass backsplash as lynnie also suggested. We recently renovated our kitchen and used 2 different countertops-you are welcome to look at my ideabook on kitchen renovation to get an idea of what we did. Still not finished-next step is to change flooring. I think it will really help to bring some samples home so you can see how they work with both stones. Good luck and keep us posted. Love what you have done so far.
  • NewEnglandgal

Fabricator just called. He's installing my counters tomorrow!

• Momofthree Ma

Yay! Can’t wait to see them installed!

NewEnglandgal thanked Momofthree Ma
  • NewEnglandgal

Hoping everything turns out ok. ANother thing I did not take into consideration for over the cooktop is putting in something that will not be difficult to clean.

To say I am on overload from building is an understatement. This has been going on since December.

Annoyed and frustrated today. I am Bitchy McBitchface this afternoon.

Beth H. :

i feel your wrath I'm right there with ya

• NewEnglandgal

I wish you lived close by. We could drink Sangria, eat chocolate chip cookies(Im making them as we speak) and commiserate.

• Momofthree Ma

Ha! Bitchy McBitchface! I may be there next week...on vacay this week while demo is happening at home. Maybe we need a Houzz sangria support group? And yes, that’s an inch plus of concrete under my front hall tile:o)

• NewEnglandgal

OMG. Why do we torture ourselves? l
    The water looks lovely. II hope you have a nice glass of wine in your hand!
    I was planning on sitting on the beach tomorrow for a little bit but will now wait to see when counters come. Did DH ask for a rough estimate? No of course he didn't. He said he didn't think we needed to be there. Grrr

PS warm gooey chocolate chip cookies are helping.

Have you picked out paint colors yet?

• NewEnglandgal

Counters are in. I love the and he did a fantastic job on the seams. Took a picture up close of it.
    on the road but will be putting backsplash samples up to it later.
    painters in there now working.

Beth H. :

NE,,,looks so good!

NewEnglandgal thanked Beth H. :
  • Momofthree Ma

NewEngland...it looks amazing!! Can’t wait to see the tile samples!

NewEnglandgal thanked Momofthree Ma
  • justerrilynn

Wow, so beautiful!

How brave are you? I love this backsplash.

NewEnglandgal thanked justerrilynn
  • ritasj

Wow...this puts everything in a different light...tougher to choose the backsplash,I think....is the counter black or charcoal? Shiny or matte?

NewEnglandgal thanked ritasj
  • ritasj

And what a cool island sink...are the steps in back for any purpose or just a design feature...

NewEnglandgal thanked ritasj
  • ritasj

I think that last post nailed it in color concept...whether the style is a little out there for you or not ...the mix of countertop...island top ....and island navy....colors would tie it all together better than adding a new color into the mix

NewEnglandgal thanked ritasj
  • NewEnglandgal

Thank you everyone.

ritasj the sink is from Kohler, called a Prolific sink and it has the ridges for the cutting board, dish bins and strainer to slide back and forth. I added a link below on youtube that shows how it is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku_o7hnSDpg

justerrilynn,I think that backsplash is too small and would look too busy with my counter.

Beth and Mom I found this at the tile store today but could not get a good picture with the countertops because I had to pull up clear sheathing on the counters and cabinets that the painter has put down. I did get an idea of how it looks though and both my husband and I liked it for what we could see. I wish I had photoshop and could do that with my pictures! Did not try the other Bali tile and Lunada I have been holding onto.

Beth the salesgirl said make sure our tiler has used the paper method used with the Lunada glass tile as it can be tricky.

The painter will be spraying for the next few days so wont be able to check the backsplash until he is out of that room.

Here are the other two we really like together:

This is picket Watercolors by Lunada color: Turner

Hexagon is: Agate Bari Pearl. I do not have to use hexagon as the pattern over the cooktop.

There was also a long subway in the color Turner that was pretty. You can see it has subtle lines in it.:

What do you guys think? I think I am narrowing it down and have a good idea of what I like best.

• NewEnglandgal

PS Now I need to find stools. I am looking for low back swivel stools that would match and prefer non fabric since the grandkids will make messes so something easy to wipe down. I have looked for weeks and it is so hard to buy online because you cannot tell if they are sturdy enough.

Beth H. :

I posted that Turner tile way back! yes, I do like it. both of them. But I like the Steel color too.

re: the tile install w/the paper. those glass mosaics come w/a paper face. when the tiler applies the tile sheet to the wall, the paper faces out. the reason it's more difficult is because the paper is not see-through, so the tiler has to know how to make the sheets/end tiles line up correctly. once the mortar is dry, (or set enough) you wet the paper w/a sponge until it's soaked through. then you peel off the paper, revealing the tiles underneath. some will come loose, it's normal. you have to set them one by one. I've done many tile jobs w/those paper faced sheets. not fun, but it's just the way it goes. on some of them the paper doesn't reach all the way to ends, allowing the tiler to actually see the end borders so they can line up the joint lines correctly.

NewEnglandgal thanked Beth H. :
  • NewEnglandgal

So is it really difficult to do a framed in portion over the cooktop? I sent a text to the tiler to ask him if he is familiar and he said he is not personally. Great. Now what?

I do not remember you posting the Turner but do remember the Steel you posted. I think the steel might be too dark with the perimeter?

I saw this tile but wasn't crazy about the shape.

I like the picket vertically. I'll have to see how they all look once the sheething is removed.

Any suggestions for over the cooktop to go with the Turner? This tile guy is giving me angina. I cannot believe none of his clients have used Lunada glass tile.

Beth H. :

if he has never set this type of tile, find someone else! heck, I used this paper faced glass tile when I did my own bathroom almost 10 years ago! It's not that difficult. He's a pro?? find someone else then because these glass mosaics can get out of hand if not laid correctly. you also have to offset the sheets so as not to see a 'grid' pattern

NewEnglandgal thanked Beth H. :
  • NewEnglandgal

Well he was recommended by two people and I saw some of his work and it looked good.

He worked with someone else before going out on his own. He is busy and works on very nice homes by word of mouth. No idea why he has not done these. I told my husband we'll have to hire someone else to do the backsplash.

Beth H. :

or just show him a pic of what you want. and the tile sheets will look something like this

do not line them up like this( because if it's not perfect spaced, you'll be able to see the faint lines that look like a grid)

you stagger the sheets by offsetting them, or else you could get these grid lines:

when just about dry, soak paper and peel.

If he waits until the mortar is completely set, he won't be able to move any tiles that are out of square, or come loose. And it's much harder to clean up the mortar that oozes out between tiles.

Advise him not to use too much thinset or it will be hell to clean it out. like this:

if he doesn't use enough, when he peels the paper off he'll also peel off a lot of single tiles. has to be enough so that all tiles get set, but not enough that it oozes up between the tiles. If he waits until it's all dry to peel, and finds ooze, then he has to chip out all of the dried thinset w/a tool, possible damaging the glass. if it's still kind of wet, he can wipe it away.

normally w/this type of paper, you can wet it and peel it off within an hour or two.

Ideally your grout joints should look clean like this when the paper is peeled:

and if any of those glass tiles are see through, he has to smooth the trowel ridges before setting the sheet. he should be using a small notch trowel for these small mosaics. the ridges would look something like these.

if tiles are at all see through, those ridges will need to be smoothed w/the flat side of the trowel.

And of course it should be white thinset. I like to use Laticrete Platinum 254. it's recommended to glass tiles (since they are non porous and need more of a bonding type of mortar.)

• NewEnglandgal

Thank you so much Beth! I am going to speak with him Minday. I saw a tiler he is friends with on FB who has a ton of pictures of jobs he has done that look gorgeous and he had one that was paper faced iver cooktop. Looked fantastic so if he is not comfortable maybe he can get him to do it. I will show him your post. I really do not to to choose something else!
    Thank you SO MUCH for your help!
    How ate things going with your reno?

Beth H. :

slow. lol. put up the shelves last night, gave them a clear coat. have to order a new left door for new fridge. when he removed the ice maker face plate in order to get out all of the packing plastic, he put a small dent in the door. also had to order the new right door because of adhesive marks from the plastic (that shipping protective plastic does a lot of damage!) and the left door also needs a new rubber gasket. The left door is on back order and they have no ETA! So, i'm waiting on that. flooring goes down next week.

and i'm going to attempt to tile the black zellige tiles on the coffee bar area . just have to measure out the layout. (i'll have one other small shelf on the left wall. have to wait to see how the tile layout goes because I don't want to cut the tile around it)

• NewEnglandgal

It already looks so nice! With the tile will be gorgeous.
    Not good luck with that refrigerator! What kind did you buy?
    Never a dull moment wh?
    Have you found stools you like? Im in search of those now. I did find cabinet pulls I like finally. Going to be brushed Gold for the kitchen.

Beth H. :

GE Cafe. it's a nice fridge, it's just that the packaging material and removal messed up the doors. and the gasket that goes around the inside of the door, got squished somehow. but i love the fridge.

I ordered the Chi stools here on houzz

if you look at my idea books-wishlist, you'll see the list of stools I had saved. The White /brass Chi is the one I got

NewEnglandgal thanked Beth H. :
  • NewEnglandgal

I had a GE cafe double oven and cooktop and loved them.

I got a Bosch french door for this house because they were having a good sale on Bosch at the time.

I will look at the stools. How can you tell if they are going to be sturdy? I think I would like low back swivel but not sure what color to get with the blue island.

Here are my pulls. They are actually called Honey Bronze

• justerrilynn

Hi NewEngland, just want to clarify that it’s small tile but done in a Big design. Different animal! Anyhoo, your kitchen is so beautiful that I have no doubts on the final .

NewEnglandgal thanked justerrilynn
    Beth H. :

you just have to read the reviews.

i like the pulls. I actually found mine on Amazon. the blingy ones I ordered from AliExpress

NewEnglandgal thanked Beth H. :
  • NewEnglandgal

Thank ypu so much justerrilynn!

Beth I saw those and considered them. Cannot remember where I saw them but they were a consideration. Decided I wanted more square look.

• Momofthree Ma

New England, I absolutely love those pulls! I am going to do black or nickel, but I love the shape, where are they from?
    This my absolute fave combo of all of your options. It’s beachy and light, but interesting at the same time!

NewEnglandgal thanked Momofthree Ma
  • NewEnglandgal

Good Morning momofthree the pulls are from Top Knobs and called Ascendra. They have different colors. I am getting the dark for my laundry and nickel for my guest bathroom. probably for my master as well. My cabinets in the master are walnut.

• Fsal

Following. NEGal gorgeous kitchen!!

• Candace Stevens

Love your kitchen!! It looks similar to mine and I still have no backsplash. I’m waiting for you to decide. Lol

i used the Lunada Bay tile in my bathroom and my contractor never installed paper face tile that I had to show him how to do it. It wasn’t too difficult and it came out great.

Here is us a picture of my kitchen but I’m going to the ceiling with tile.

• NewEnglandgal

Thank you Fsal!
    Candace your kitchen is much bigger than mine and very nice!
    I went against the idea that you cannot have 2 different countertops with 2 different cabinet colors. I did this is my former home as well but my island was cherry. I wanted a blue island then but knew we were selling and stayed with neutral colors.
    What color is your island? Cannot tell on my phone if it is dark blue or black.
    I am trying to pick out stools for my island. thinking wood. DH wants to find some in stores, not online because he wants to make sure they are well out together.
    If I don't do wood not sure what color to choose.
    I am going to speak to my tile guy on Monday. Beth was kund enough to show me a step by step orocess I can show him.
    If he does not feel comfortable there is another tiler I know who has done it and my tiler actually knows him well so it will work out.
    Having your tile go all the way up will be beautiful!
    I really love this last combination so really hoping it works!

• Candace Stevens

NewEnglangal the island is navy blue.

Ive seen ever tile available to man and still can’t decide. Its a commitment I’m afraid making.

I went to a mosaic designer in Brooklyn and fell in love with her designs but still can’t Commit it’s the tile on the right.

Cant wait to see what you decide on.

• NewEnglandgal

Candace I like the one on the right! So are you using that just over the cooktop or the entire backsplash?
    Are those stools from Serena and Lilly? I saw some like that I really liked but I have young grandchildren so trying to find low back stools that match and can be cleaned easily.
    Are you in your home now?

• Momofthree Ma

Ooh, Candace, that navy and white tile is dreamy...might be busy for the whole space, but really beautiful!

• Fsal

@Candace LOVE your light fixtures!! Are you keeping the hood white or also painting it navy like your island?

@NEGal what kind of stools are you looking for? Just got these from Ballard Design. They’re super sturdy.

• luckyblueeye

Those stools are gorgeous!

• Candace Stevens

Newenglandgal I would do the whole wall but I’m afraid it will be to much even though I want a wow factor. But I love it!!! The barstools are from Serena and Lily and very easy to clean. I have 4 young kids and 2 big dogs and wanted easy to wipe down.

we've been in for about a year next month.

Momofthree the navy and white is definitely too busy for my taste but the tile on the right I can choose the colors And make it a little more beachy feel.

Fsal the the lighting fixtures are my favorite part of my kitchen! They are from Kathy Kuo Home. My husband hates them ‍♀️ I’m leaving the hood white but it would look amazing blue. I might need to find out if I could paint it. Thanks for the idea.

Love those barstools. looking through their catalog as I type this.

• NewEnglandgal

Candace how about painting the bottom band of the hood a blue to match? I have seen that done.
    I love the stools you both posted but we want stools that go under the counter.

• NewEnglandgal

I have decided to go with the picket tile vertically and the agate glass over the cooktop. Now going between hexagon or Japanaise pattern framed in.

The color is muted in the picture below but my friend, the tiler and I all agree it looks great together. Tiler loved my counters.

• Momofthree Ma

New England, I love those tile selections, it’s going to be fabulous!

NewEnglandgal thanked Momofthree Ma
  • NewEnglandgal

Not sure why my picture is tilted. The colors are muted as well.

I told the tiler I need him to measure the backsplash so I can order it and he said we'll get to it at some point. hmm.... but I want to order it NOW so it will be here by the time you are done with the other tiling!

How long till you have dry wall up?

I love Balboa Mist. You can match anything with it!

• Fsal

How exciting! Congrats with being done with that decision

NewEnglandgal thanked Fsal
  • Karen Rose

Such pretty tile! Can’t wait to see the final result!

NewEnglandgal thanked Karen Rose
  • NewEnglandgal

Thnk you Fsal and Karen.

• Leana Giannios

following!