Software
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

OT It's the Silly Season.

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Midsummer Madness.



The leader of the pack.



Hug a flower.



Drink plenty of water when it is hot.



Face off.


It came from Outer Space!




It's my turn. No it's not, it's my turn!


Does anyone else have some photos for the silly season?

Daisy

Comments (50)

  • 7 years ago

    A hunting we will go ....

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • 7 years ago

    How did you ever mange to catch those pictures? Amazing! floral, Love yours also. : )

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Oh, WOW !! Super interesting thread. I love the blue and Red dragonflies facing each other . It's like you are seeing what the other person sees thro the lens...Art and skill :)
    You are really Great photographer, Daisy !!

    jin

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    What is the first pic that is red ?
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    I couldn’t catch photo 1 either

    flora are those the “real” English snails? The ones that eat entire hostas for a snack ? or is it English slugs that do that?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Marie Tulin Boston burbs z 6a
  • 7 years ago

    This may not seem silly to many, but this is what my husband found yesterday when he went to empty the container under the outflow of the air conditioning system. It's free water that he throws under one of the nearby trees, and he actually emptied the container twice and put it in place without disturbing this very tiny baby rattlesnake who was resting underneath the repurposed kitty litter pan that is always left there under the AC water hose. I've seen baby rattlers before but never one that was so very tiny. He was gone this morning.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    They're genuine hosta munching snails. I believe Daisy's first picture is a goldfish. Took me a moment to see it too.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • 7 years ago

    Cool pics!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked porkchop_z5b_MI
  • 7 years ago

    Big and Little

    Darcey Bussell (big) and Jet Spray (little). Jet Spray is a “miniature” Hybrid Musk, by Louis Lens.

    Big and Little

    I’m 5’ 7”. My Oom (Uncle) Willem is 6’ 9”

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    Young and Old

    Young ’Felicia’ buds and newly opened blooms.

    Old and spent Felicia blooms.

    Young buds/blooms today on my “Not Louise Odier- Maybe Grandmother’s Hat”. (It’s a mystery, but a fantastic rose!)

    Old blooms on the same rose, bought as ‘Louse Odier’, but that’s questionable.

    Yes, this picture shamed me into deadheading the poor thing, even though it’s hot and sticky outside.

    Young and Younger

    1990. Josh wasn’t born until 1993.


    Older and younger.

    With my daughter, Ingrid. 2009

    Even older, with DD and SiL. 2019

    Big and little again

    Big guy

    San Diego’s Safari Park 2016

    Little girl

    Millie, a few months after she arrived in her forever home. She was so small, she fit in my slipper!


    Big and Little again.

    Oh, oh. I must have exceeded my photo limit. The “photo bar” is now a different color. Well, it was fun while it lasted. I got a little carried away, so I hope you all enjoyed them too. Great idea, Daisy! Not all of mine are seasonal, but I figured “silly” covers a host of things. Lol

    Let’s see if Little Mel’s Heritage will post.

    Mel’s Heritage 11/2015

    Lisa

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    Lisa, you have a beautiful family! :)

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Jilly
  • 7 years ago


    Day 1


    Day 2


    Day 14


    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Lola Tasmania
  • 7 years ago

    Floral, thanks for giving me heads-up. After you mention it was Goldfish. It does looks like goldfish :)
    You are so brave to hold those snails .I

    like furry animals only. Like I don't mind letting Lola's beautiful lambs. They look so adorable :)
    Jinx, cute pic of sleeping cat in garden. By the way, I love your stage name .
    Ingrid, I was showing my husband your pic of rattlesnake and he turn his phone to me bec he was actually watching a show on rattlesnakes. What a coincidence !!

    Lisa, your pics actually put a smile on my face. I truly enjoy them very much. You have a beautiful family. Thank you for posting !! :)

    jin

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Lisa -- I have a brother who's 6' 8", your uncle has him beat LOL!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked porkchop_z5b_MI
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Simply wonderful pictures, everyone. Lisa, your family is delightful. Thank you for sharing them. You're a beautiful lady, and were stunning in the pic with your little ones.

    I hope the rattlesnake didn't offend, but he was such a poignantly little guy. I must admit, the kitties and adorable lambs are much sweeter and cuddlier.

    Here's my husband and one of his two granddaughters taken about five years ago.


    Casey and Peppie, in past years

    Sammie, rescued as a baby and returned to the wild, where she survived for a good number of years. She would disappear for a year and then come back with her children in tow.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Wow, baby rattlesnakes are the most dangerous! They don't rattle to warn you, and they can't regulate their venom so they inject all of it. Scary!
    I had a friend whose dog almost died stepping in a bush hiding a baby rattler. 3 vials of antivenin at 750 each and 3 days in the ER , and they saved him, but the fur on that leg was forever a different color from the poison.

    Adorable furbabies too, thanks for sharing!
    Carla in Sac

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • 7 years ago

    You're absolutely right, Carla, they are nothing to take lightly. However, the belief that baby rattlers are the most dangerous is a myth, and they've done several studies on this. It's the adults who can inject a much greater quantity of venom who pose the greatest risk. Fortunately we have hard surfaces to walk on throughout most of the property and we try to stick to those. I do walk among the roses, which is a little more chancy, although in most instances that's not where the snakes are, and during the day now the temperatures there are much too high for a snake to survive. At night now I stick to the paved surfaces, and always use a flashlight. Snakes inject the most venom when they're stepped on, and we're darn careful where we put our feet. Living out in the country does pose a risk, but living in the city poses a different, and percentage-wise, greater risk of harm.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Fun thread! thanks to all of you for these cheery photos and stories.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I can’t wait for the day when gulf fritillary butterflies are a daily occurrence in our yard again after an established passion vine was taken out they disappeared. I missed them so much I put in a new vine this spring. Haven’t seen an adult yet, but evidence they were here.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    That's wonderful, Stephanie. Where there's one there are sure to be more as time goes on. It's so nice of you to provide them with what they need.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Pipevine Swallowtail Caterpillars. They hang out together.


    Buddah's Hand citrus fruit. It was hiding behind some leaves so I didnt notice it untill last week. I like watching them develop. The 'hands' open and fingers separate and contort into different postions before they finally turn yellow and ripen. Right now it looks kinda squid-like or maybe like a green Pacman Ghost lol.



    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Yes Jin, that is a fancy goldfish. Here are his friends.



    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    There are some great photos here. I love them all. Sultry, I used to grow a Buddha's Hand when I lived in England. It was in a pot and spent the winters in a greenhouse.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Here is another weird one. The Doctor at night. Where did that spotlight come from? It wasn't there when I took the photo and the flash didn't work.



    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, your pic taken at night came out perfect. It does look as if it is in a spotlight, doesn't it ? Have this glow to it.
    Stephanie and Jasmin , you guys are so lucky to provide plants to special butterflies. I feel bad for removing Passion due to fence falling. Never realized it was for my zebra butterflies. I still see them daily in my backyard thanks to my neighbor who also grows passion flowers.

    jin

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I love your fancy goldfish!! I have a few calico fantails that live in my patio pond with other goldfish and 2 koi. They are my favs.

    Okay here is a Silly character I came across this morning sitting on a Bird of Paradise leaf. Our little native green anoles are very tame. He was posing for me while he greedily gulped down some poor slithery creature. He wasn't afraid of Me, he was only afraid I would take his food lol.


    Gross grub/cricket breakfast.. Enlarge for better detail if you dare lol.


    "Its mine, its mine, its mine!"


    "Don't even think about it"



    "Halfway there-its work!"


    "Slimy yet Satisfying"



    "Got 'er done!" (Is it me or does he look like he's smiling? lol)



    ~Sjn

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Bet that insect didn't use Geico!


    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • 7 years ago

    Sultry, too comical and delightful. And yes, that engaging little fellow is definitely smiling.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Aww thank you Ingrid. They sure are comical. Sometimes when Im out digging, they will run down into the hole and try to grab pincher bugs or grubs and scamper back up and wait for me to dig again.

    Cyn, haha I bet he didn't use Gieco! Good one :)

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Hey guys—popping in to say hi and to post my silly rooster, Rhett, and his harem of hens checking out their new coop!


    Gearing up to go back to school here, and ready for some cooler weather to enjoy my roses in again. :-)

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Rhett is a very handsome guy, and I'm sure he'll have lots of chicks bowled over by his charm.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    How cute is he!!! Is he a bantam? (or is the cage just small LOL)
    Carla in Sac

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Rhett is a nice little cockeral. Lucky him to have all those girls to himself. Maybe you can get some fertile eggs to incubate in your classroom, if the kids are at that age when they are still interested in that lol.

    I love your coop colors! Is that wallpaper?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Love him and the coop, especially the wallpaper. It reminds me of my first ever bikini, which was blue gingham.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Perma, he is so cute and young. Absolutely agree with everyone else above. Kids will love to see baby chicks next yr. A trip to school :)
    jin

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I’ll pass all your compliments on to Rhett; however, based on the time he likes to spend in front of the mirror, he’s quite aware of his striking good looks. He’s only about 6-7 weeks old, so not yet fully grown, but apparently Barred Rocks get their combs and wattles very early. So yes, technically he’s a “cockerel” not yet a rooster. He’s still in the friendly stage.

    The wallpaper is actually contact paper. Since I never get to do girly decor (I’m the only female in my house) I decided to decorate their coop. I’m finishing up a chandelier, and will post more pics of it when fully decorated. :-)

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Perma, I like your style. Not too many people would have a chandelier in a chicken coop but that idea rocks. I didn't notice the decor since I couldn't tear my eyes away from Rhett, but it is so pretty. Your chickens (and rooster) are very lucky.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I forgot just how many serviceberries these guys could eat as they got older...

    There are four of them wedged in there.

    tj

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    tsugajunkie, What cute babies you have there!

    Perma, Some adult roosters stay sweet when they are grown up. Sometimes due to a huge surge of hormones, they get very protective of their girls which is what they are supposed to do. They usually calm down after a yr old. Some just stay sweet the whole time, especially Silkies and Orpingtons. I have had Cuckoo Marans stay very sweet too.

    I had a group of Lav Orp Roos and a Black Marans Roo that I raised together. They were all best buddies and never fought. The only time they got mad at each other was if they thought one would get to sit on someone's lap and be petted and not them lol. If someone sat in a chair near them, they would all rush over and try to get on their lap. Then would lay their heads down and snuggle to be petted. They all thought they were oversized lap dogs! They loved to be letvout of their pen to try to raid the low growing fruit on fig trees, mulberries,and wild grape vines.

    The Goofy boys




    They also thought they were Flowers..sneaking into an empty flower urn that I was repainting..






    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Gorgeous Roos, Sultry! I really love the last pic, of them cozy in the urn! Just very photogenic! :-)

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Sultry, your description makes me want to run out and get one of these breeds. They sound so sweet and lovable. Whoever heard of lap birds? Works for me!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Sultry, love your roosters! What sweethearts. We had Silkies growing up and those roosters were very sweet too!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful roosters! I just love cuckoo morans! Do you have any pictures? Love morans in general! They are such beautiful birds and love the chocolate eggs they lay.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    I didn’t eat them.



    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • 7 years ago

    Cute animal babies everyone. The old and the young.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you.

    I love roosters they get a bad rap sometimes. Ive had a few that were real buttheads but in general most have such interesting personalities. Another generally friendly affectionate rooster variety is the Ameraucana (not the mixed Easter Egger but the true Ameraucana breed) the hens lay a blue egg and they would live in your shoulder and be carried around forever if they could lol.


    mustbnuts, I have a Marans album on the Backyard Chickens website that has some reg Cuckoo Marans as well as some Golden Cuckoos and other breeding project Cuckoos in it, along w other Marans.

    https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/marans.6314905/


    Here's a few pics of Cuckoo Marans

    Cockerals



    Pullet




    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Sultry, I enjoyed your album. That's a whole interesting world, raising and breeding these gorgeous birds. The babies are really precious. I love that they have such individual personalities and enjoy being carried around!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    I am in love with your chickens! So, on the 8th page of the pictures on your site, it shows a green egg (could be blue) with the eggs of the blue copper marans. Did one of them lay a green/blue egg or is the color due to just the lighting of the picture. Such beautiful chickens!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks Ingrid and mustbnuts!

    The green egg is an Olive colored egg that you get from crossing a Marans (dk brown egg layer) with a pure Ameraucana (blue egg layer) This hybrid breed is called an Olive Egger lol. It is a variation of an "Easter Egger" where they cross a pure Ameraucana (or another blue egged gene breed like Araucana) with a light brown or reddish egg breed to get the aqua, blue, or pinkish egg layers -Easter Egger hybrids. *I just put the white and olive eggs in the photo for color comparison.

    You can read about Easter Eggers here.

    https://www.purelypoultry.com/blog/what-exactly-is-an-easter-egger/

    or

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egger