Software
Houzz Logo Print
jjkoc

Cut roses and figs

A few more cut roses. First with some long-awaited...still-awaiting figs. Second with plain backdrop to see the difference in colors more clearly.




Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago

    So beautiful. I'm dying to know what the seemingly two-toned roses in front are.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Beautiful! My LSU Purple figs just finished up. They were so yummy. I need to take cuttings and plant more trees.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Vaporvac, you can see Rouge Royale in the front, the dark rose is Munstead Wood, the peach is Carding Mill, and the red is Firefighter.

    Ingrid, I think you are referring to the RR with the quartered blooms. The petals are like satin so you can see a lighter reverse!

    The fragrance of the bouquet is amazing!

  • 7 years ago

    Hi SultryJasmineNights, the figs are called Petite Negra. I’m just starting to learn about figs; I find them fascinating!

    I only have the one tree, but it’s been growing for 10 years for me. It takes a very long time to bear fruit though so I am waiting...

    I may try a couple of figs supplies locally: Flanders and Yellow Long Neck...we’ll see. I can see collecting figs would be a dangerous enterprise as there are so many to collect and try!

  • 7 years ago

    Violette de Bordeaux would be a good one for you to try (figs). I have a three year old tree (in a pot) and got a Briba crop and will have a crop later this year. They are very tasty but my favorite fig still is the Panache. YUM! Love the cream stripes on the fig (they hide themselves from the critters that love them as well) and the taste is just divine! Yes, grow more figs! (sorry for the hijack!).

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Mustbnuts! Sounds like you are growing some specialty figs! If you would discuss further please message me!

  • 7 years ago

    Sorry jjk, I don't see where I can message you on the Houzz page for you.

  • 7 years ago

    Hi mustbnuts if you navigate to my profile then click on the activity tab, you should see an option to message.

    Please let me know if that doesn’t work.

  • 7 years ago

    sorry but no option to message.

  • 7 years ago

    The Panache fig sounds beautiful! I will have to look that one up. Same for Petite Negro. Some figs dont do great here but my LSU Purple does because it was bred in Louisiana for humidity. I usually get a breba crop from them too. The LSU Purplecan be grown like a small tree or large shrub. It makes lots of suckers which I sometimes just whack off and move where I want more. Most figs root easily.


  • 7 years ago

    Sultryjasminenights, I heard Celeste is good for your neck of the woods...if you want to try growing a different fig. They are a smaller size.

  • 7 years ago

    jj, you do seem to have your messaging turned off. May I ask how long until a fig gives fruit? Will it bear any if killed back?

  • 7 years ago

    jjk, your Rouge Royale is so much more beautiful than any picture on HMF. It's a very enticing rose with that play of the lighter and darker shades.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Vaporvac, I’m a super newbie when it comes to figs, but have learned a lot from a forum called ourfigs.com


    What I do know is that time to mature bearing is variable by cultivar and location just like roses. If you have a long growing season then you will have a better chance to get fruit sooner and some cultivars are more vigorous at bearing than others, but a great fig in one region can drop all their fruit in another area.


    SoCal has a mediterranean climates which is ideal for most figs. I am trying to grow those that stay small or are validated by local collectors. Don’t worry, there are cultivars that are great in cold regions.


    There are some figs that can be planted in ground in super cold areas, but most people who live in snowy places like New England keep their figs in pots and bring them in the garage to winter. Check out the forum, many of the discussions are very interesting!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Ingrid, thanks for your kind comment!

    I grow RR in a fairly large container and it grows in partial shade under the pergola. It seems to have stronger color that way as sun really mars the petals. It gets affected by thrips bad, but thrip season seems to be over now.

    I let the flowers open up wide and then cut them to enjoy in a vase. Because the petals are pretty sturdy, the flowers last a long time.

    Its also very responsive to fertilizer, It seems to push out buds every time I give it Rose Tone just like Munstead wood. The fragrance in the backyard is amazing right now!

  • 7 years ago

    Ok I think I fixed my profile settings to turn on messaging!


    Vaporvac and mustbnuts, feel free to send a personal message via Houzz!

  • 7 years ago

    You fixed it! I'm going to check out the site before asking any questions! : ))

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley