Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadywillowfarm

Casual Dinnerware

ShadyWillowFarm
4 years ago

I want to get new dinnerware, and nothing fancy. I am thinking white dinner plates and then I can get a variety of serving pieces, salad plates, bowls etc. I would prefer durable, heavier plates. I was thinking about fiestaware, and someone said that the cutlery marks really show. I am also thinking about Williams-Sonoma, the Pantry line dinner plates, or the Open Kitchen line. I really love the fun, seasonal salad plates and serving dishes at Pier One, and will be getting some of them to. Go with the white dinner plates. Any recommendations for dinner plates? Or warnings?

Comments (31)

• pippabean_5b
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I prefer thinner porcelain to heavier stoneware dishes. The heavier stoneware dishes are not more durable, porcelain is. Also stoneware being softer, chips much easier than does porcelain, plus porcelain doesn't show cutlery marks as much, or like my Ikea 365 porcelain, doesn't show any. All the stoneware dishes I've ever owned, show cutlery marks really badly. To the point the plates or bowl turned grey.

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

Yes, Crate and Barrel. World Market is also a good source.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Apilco, Villeroy and Boch, Pilivuyt are my faves for everyday whites. They dress up or down beautifully. Great selection of Apilco and Pillivuyt at Williams Sonoma. Good discounts available in the fall before holiday season begins.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OK, no French anything!!!! Nothing that I can’t pronounce !

• stillpitpat
    4 years ago

I just bought plates and bowls from Crate and Barrel (Marin). I love them but one is already chipped. My 18yo Pfaltzgraff that I finally tired of held up so well, and the Fiestaware I have is nearly indestructible. I have some cobalt plates and bowls from them and I honestly don't think any of them is chipped, and some are 19 years old! I understand about the silverware marks on white dishes though. You don't want that.

• localeater
    4 years ago

Bone China to avoid silverware marks. I haveLenox Tin Can Alley, I got it about 7 years ago, it is great.

• NYCish
    4 years ago

Front of the house whiteware. Used in restaurants across the country. It is heavier however is is incredibly durable, no silverware marks, no chipping, you can’t match your whites across a broad variety of styles and forms. I registered for some back when cooking.com was still in biz 10+ years ago and it still looks as good as new. I’ve never had a chip nor a shattered plate or bowl and I have probably 50 pieces (FOH is mainly to the trade. You can buy it direct from their own website.)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

LOVE my Bistro from Sur la Table. 6 years. I bought service for 18 the month we moved into this house....lots more room for friends and family, entertaining. Not a mark, chip, break with any of it and it goes from patio to formal holiday and all in between.

The 24-piece service dinnerware is on sale for $99 every few months. It's discounted 20% right now but I've seen it at better price.

If buying as a set, I should warn you that men don't like the hand feel of the mugs. I replaced them with clear glass hot beverage mugs from Bargeen Ellingson Restaurant Supply.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

I have very plain white bone china by Gorham that is no longer available, but I was in Costco today and they have Mikasa Lucerne that looks identical as does Macy's Hotel Collection. The plates fit easily in the narrow tines of my DW and have been extremely durable. No chips after several years of use. Here's an older thread with a lot of good suggestions.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4366550/what-s-your-favorite-everyday-white-dinnerware#n=52

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I need to stick with plates that are no larger than 10.5", my current dinner plates are 11" and don't fit in my dishwasher. Some lines are being discontinues, Macy's Hotel, and you need to be in the hospitality industry to buy from FOTH.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

I get the gray marks but the Denby I have is 25 years old and has never chipped. I don't think all porcelain is made the same either. Some brands mention chips often in reviews.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

Ikea 365+ dinnerware. Veldspar porcelain which is what you want. I like dishes with rims so the contents don't slosh out if you have to carry the dish. So incredibly inexpensive that if you break one, shrug. You can buy a set, and then buy accessory pieces in different colors at Ikea.

I like Fiestaware, but just have a few accent pieces. I find they are so thick, they take up too much room in the DW. Ikea are thinner.

Ikea 365+ white dinnerware set - 18 pieces @ $40

Ikea 365+ white dinnerware individual pieces

Ikea dinnerware various styles and colors

• unraveled_wi
    4 years ago

I have whiteware that I’ve gotten from various places over the years. The Crate and Barrel pieces have not held up as well as the ones from Pier One and IKEA.

• smiling
    4 years ago

As localeater said, bone china is a good choice. I've used the same plain white bone china for 30 years now. The stuff is like iron, doesn't break, looks great, is light weight, fits the dishwasher easily, and stacks in little space in the drawer. You can pick it up really inexpensively at outlet stores! Not a single dish has broken in all those years, despite two active boys and their friends! I'd suggest you research bone china before you decide.

• darbuka
    4 years ago

Don't laugh, but if you're looking for white dinnerware that is inexpensive, doesn’t show cutlery marks, and doesn‘t break easily, take a gander at IKEA. We’ve had the same set for 8 years. We originally bought service for 12, and purchased two extra sets (service for 4, per set), just in case. However, in all that time, just two pieces have broken, so the extra sets are still in tact. The set has very generous soup/salad bowls, which is what we were looking for.

We bought our glassware from IKEA, too.

• sheepla
    4 years ago

I'm very attached to all my Fiestaware. It's substantial but almost unbreakable. I've had mine for YEARS and not a single chip. Plus it is SO SO pretty.

• sheepla
    4 years ago

Just went back and reread your post. I don't have a single cutlery mark on my fiesta...not even on my pizza pan.

• NYCish
    4 years ago

@shadywillowfarm you can buy FOH on wayfair!! They also have an outlet; sign up for their emails; they open the online outlet every few months. I just bought 10 plates in a different style to supplement my settings. I have their square canvas plates but bought a low coupe shaped plate which we are loving using.

• tackykat
    4 years ago

We have had Crate & Barrel Cafeware II for 17 years. Still looks great.

• darbuka
    4 years ago

Shannon, that IKEA 365+ set is lovely. Slightly different than mine, but then, mine is 8 or 10 years old.

What you said...”So incredibly inexpensive, if you break one, shrug.”

• salex
    4 years ago

Following. (I also followed the 2-yo thread linked above and still have not replaced my old Ikea set with silver marks all over it!)

Question for anyone with the C&B Aspen series: Does anyone have the plates with the colored rim around the edge? If so, are they just as durable as the rest of the plate? I really like that detail but am worried that it will be the first and most obvious place for any chipping.

• Babs Fla
    4 years ago

Love my Fiestaware. Only the darkest of colors have marks on them..

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What do you all think of Wedgwood Willow Weave? So much for “cheap!”
    https://www.replacements.com/p/wedgwood-willow-weave-dinner-plate/ww-wiw/7985891

• athomeeileen
    4 years ago

Williams Sonoma carries Pillivuyt Basketweave. Very similar to Wedgewood Nantucket.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think most os thw W-S plates are 11 inches, which is too big for my dishwasher.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I love the Wedgwood.

• athomeeileen
    4 years ago

I love the Wedgwood too. I got the WS at the outlet at a huge discount. Had budget been bigger, I'd have gotten the Nantucket.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

Just wondering why the 11" dish doesn't fit. What kind of a DW do you have?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

One that fit into the space in my 1970s house. 10.75” dishes fit, but the thing on top that spins like a fan hits the 11” plates.

I found 2 of the Wedgwood Willow Weave dinner plates on eBay for $20 so bought them. I think I will give them a bit of a test run before committing to buying a bunch.