Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_179064122

Bathroom Remodel Cost

C L
4 years ago

I am a new homeowner and this is my first time renovating a space in my house. I would like to renovate a bathroom but am unsure what to expect as an average cost of the remodel. I have had a few contractors in the space who have quoted anything from $5000 to $40,000. How much should I expect my bathroom remodel to cost if we're looking at removing the next room closet to expand the bathroom, install a double vanity, relocate the vanity and toilet, install a fan, wall-to-wall tile and radiant floor heating? I am wondering what is the best way to get a reasonable estimate of what the bathroom remodel should cost?

Comments (12)

• tatts
    4 years ago

You're wasting time. You didn't even tell us where you live and what the costs are (but don't bother). New York City? Praetoria? Peoria? Toronto? Seattle? Homer? Honolulu? Impossible.

Do you really expect people to come up with any real answer online?

Get three written estimates. Get references. Pick one. Done.

• Cavimum
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You are describing an extensive remodel. My advice, based on learning this the hard way, is get an architect to draw and spec out everything you want. Then get the bids on the project. Otherwise you will be comparing apples to oranges with those quotes. You say one thing, the contractor hears something else. It happened to us. Get what you want down on paper. Hiring an architect was the best money we spent before we started over with the bids. It likely saved us money, in the long run.

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Couple questions-Where do you live? Do you have to obtain permits where you live?

I'm in So Cal..here, you touch plumbing-you present plans to your city and you obtain permits.

The reno you've described sounds extensive.

I think I'd have to pay around 40 K for the labor only needed for remodel of this scope where we live Materials-that would vary. Depending on what one chooses.

We skipped remodeling our hall bath (small, no change in plumbing, no change in size, just new fixtures installed with everything that entails-waterproofing, tiling, etc) because the labor would be 10-12 K, no finishes included.

That was a quote in 2014. I imagine the prices risen since.

• Helen
    4 years ago

Realistically how much do you want to spend on the bathroom and why are you doing it.

There are numerous threads on this subject and the problem is that it really all depends on location - scope of project and to some extent finishes.

Five thousand dollars is crazy low and an immediate red flag. Honestly $40,000 in certain locations with "Houzz" aspirational design is probably too low.

Moving toilets and other plumbing is extremely expensive which is why even people doing gut remodels try to keep the toilet in the same place

Tiled showers are very expensive to construct and you need a high level of competence to build so they are waterproof. One could easily spend $10,000 on a fairly standard tiled shower - any tiled shower with a "wow" factor will be much more

Frameless shower doors are expensive

Depending on the age and condition of the house, you will have electrical and plumbing that needs to be brought up to current Code.

There are so many other things that need to be purchased that start adding up really quickly especially if one wants anything above builder grade - faucets, shower heads, pulls, knobs, fans, sconces, mirrors, flooring, tile.

In terms of how to proceed - decide how much you want to spend/can afford and whether spending that amount of money makes sense as an economic decision based on your life stage and neighborhood comps or how ever else you make that determination.

You would then need to find a designer - tell the designer your budget and the designer will either tactfully tell you it's impossible - provide a design OR come up with a design that gives you some of what you want within your budget. That design is then sent out to GC's with EVERY specification so that you receive a firm bid. And even with that firm bid, be prepared for at least a 10% contingency if you start opening up walls because anything that is unexpected is an additional expense.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

You need at least a good designer to draw up plan with your budget firmly understood all finishes chosen and then you get quotes they will all be for the exact same thing and be prepared for an eye opening experience .5K will not even begin to do what you plan and 40K could also be low depending on too many things for us to even begin to answer here

• geoffrey_b
    4 years ago

I'm an engineer and a DIY'er. I have gutted and remodeled several of our bathrooms over the years. I can tell you that to remodel a 9x7 bath - just for materials will be at least $8k. Once you start knocking down walls, moving toilets, moving doorways, the cost rises exponentially.

From the looks of the current bathroom - you have a modestly priced home. IMO you will never recoup the cost of a major renovation that you are considering.

• Jean Wheeler
    4 years ago

I echo Geoffrey_b comments. I demo'd to the studs and joists and rebuilt a 6.5' x 7' bathroom, and DIY'd. I bought all the materials on my own, which were about $9k for moderate scope, All said and done w/ plumbing, electrical and new doors it cost me $14k and there was no moving walls. If I had contracted, it would have cost me $30k + I live in Salt Lake, for reference. I bid this with cookie cutter designs and it would have started at $20k with a 7 month wait to get started.

• Brooke Strong
    4 years ago

We live near Seattle. I am adding a smallish bathroom in our basement and without a tiled shower, the cost is about 14k. That's without the cost of materials. So a total of probably 16-18k in reality. I got a bid for remodeling my master bath (without changing locations of anything) and just new flooring, bath and tiled shower were going to cost about 40k...he said it can easily go up from there. Another bid for that came in around 30-35k for pretty simple remodel. If that helps. Good luck!

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    4 years ago

$40k is realistic for the proposed scope. If you accept a bid for any less than this the result will likely be a disaster.

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

We had mold damage in our master bathroom in 2006. We had the drywall removed and replaced on 2 of the walls. The contractor used new greenboard in the shower. We reused the shower basin to save money, same with the tub. But we had to put new tile in the shower, tub surround and floor (no radiant heat). We did not move any plumbing (but in retrospect I wish we had the funds to enlarge the shower). We had a ceiling fan installed (vaulted ceiling) and new, larger shower fan installed. Total including materials was around $22,000....13 years ago. I live in the Midwest, suburbs of a major city to give you an idea.

• Hannah Jhonson
    4 years ago

These are the costs fir bathroom renovation please go through the costs:

Install lighting fixture $120 - $900 $1,100 - $1,700

Install shower $450 - $2,000 $3,000 - $4,800

Install sink $190 - $900 $1,400 - $2,300

Install toilet $130 - $250 $340 - $480