Software
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

David Austin sprays from late August

7 years ago

We had 100+ temps about a week ago but some of the developing sprays kept on developing so we have these pics.


Crown Princess Margareta at the end of her bloom cycle looking mostly buff colored and retaining a strong fragrance.



This Thomas a Becket spray reached about 6ft tall and was much more upright than in prior years when it tended to be more lanky. TaB is exceptionally fragrant!



The Endeavour Rose can also reach about six feet tall and retains its pink and orange blended color in strong sun. Can't wait for the whole spray to bloom.



Chaucer displaying his usual silvery pink color. He has sweet myrrh fragrance.



Leander showing his peachy pink colors in late summer. Canes are now over 6ft.



Hope you enjoyed the pics!

Ann


Comments (20)

  • 7 years ago

    Hmmm...I’m really liking the look of Leander and Chaucer. Are they fragrant for you?

    Ann9BNCalif thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • 7 years ago

    Wow they are beautiful even in the heat!

    Ann9BNCalif thanked pippacovalent
  • 7 years ago

    Ann, they look so healthy and grown so beautifully. It's like they are laughing at heat that doesn't faces them. I love them all and can't pick a favorite. Each has its own unique colour. Beautiful blooms :)

    jin

    Ann9BNCalif thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    oursteelers - Both Leander and Chaucer are moderately fragrant. I know Chaucer was discontinued awhile back but I got mine from Heirloom a couple of years ago.

    pippacovalent - thanks! We're back in the high 80s, low 90s so that's great. Most of my roses are resting and hopefully I'll see them one more time in early October.

    jin - Thanks so much for your kind words! Roses are so resilient in spite of the heat and drying effects of the constant wind. My next door neighbors of 16 years are love to entertain outdoors and are moving about thee miles away because it's less windy. The wind really dries out the leaves and petals but I guess my watering regimen of 20 minutes 3 times per week with drip irrigation seems to be enough to keep them going. :))

    Ann

  • 7 years ago

    Just gorgeous! Love them all. I'm interested in Thomas A Beckett, if I can find it here. I always note this one and wonder why it's not more popular. It looks like a good one. Does it have any cons for you?

    Ann9BNCalif thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • 7 years ago

    They are all so lovely, esp. CpM

    Ann9BNCalif thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks HalloBlondie! TaB starts out with very thin, lanky canes and looks and acts more like climber initially. I planted Thomas in a spot where a climber doesn't work well so he stood out in an awkward way for the first couple of years. Marlorena in the U.K. advised me that Thomas would become more upright in growth as he got settled which has turned out to be exactly true as of this year which I think is the magic third year.

    You can't see it here but in years one and two, there were mostly nodding blooms.

    Thomas produces mostly rosette-shaped blooms so if you're looking for something deeply cupped, this isn't your rose. The pic below shows a bit of variation from the flatter rosette style above. I like this rose because it adds variety since I have so many pink roses. The fragrance is unexpectedly very strong and pleasant!

    totoro - Thanks so much!

    Ann

  • 7 years ago

    Absolutely beautiful roses Ann !! I haven’t heard of Chaucer , how lucky for you that you have it . It’s beautiful!

    Ann9BNCalif thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Ann. I do prefer the nicely cupped blooms in general. However, I don't mind the
    rosette blooms, this style of rose would be great in a farther corner of my garden, where I need a big punch of colour. To be honest many of the lighter coloured petalled roses tend to look dingy, show bug damage too often or sun fade in my yard. So I'm interested in the brighter colours.

    Ann9BNCalif thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • 7 years ago

    Chaucer is lovely! How hardy is it?

    Ann9BNCalif thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • 7 years ago

    Hi joey - I'm in 9b where the daytime temps in the winter are about 55F so I can't comment on hardiness from experience.

    According to Help Me Find, 5b seems to be the lowest zone it can be grown.

    https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.1112.1

    Hope that helps!

    Ann

  • 7 years ago

    Ann, I hope Chaucer will be in stock at Heirloom. I signed up for notification and I hope it will return back since it is out of stock. Thanks for introducing. It is really beautiful.
    jin

    Ann9BNCalif thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Ann! What a pity! Your pictures show Chaucer off so beautifully.

    Ann9BNCalif thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • 7 years ago

    These are all absolutely gorgeous! I’m also taken with Chaucer and Leander, I’m going to do some research to see how they will do in my zone, but they are going on the list! Those peach tones of Leander are to die for!

    Ann9BNCalif thanked Katherine Zone 7b Oklahoma
  • 7 years ago

    Your Austin roses are so beautiful. I especially like Leander. Lovely summer garden, and a wonderful collection of roses.

    Ann9BNCalif thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago

    What a feast for the eyes, all of them are absolutely gorgeous!

    Ann9BNCalif thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Katherine! Chaucer and Leander would both work in your zone. Of the two, Chaucer blooms a lot more often. Leander has a great spring flush then rests. Second flush isn't as strong but still lovely. Leander over time will grow very tall with the blooms only at the top so just be aware.

    Krista - Thank you for your kind words! I really enjoy your lovely collection too!

    Sara - Thank you very much!

    Ann

  • 7 years ago

    This has been a WONDERFUL post of rose porn. Thanks everyone.

    Ann9BNCalif thanked joycrick
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks joycrick! I hope to see your photos too!

    Ann

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting