Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

I thought you might enjoy . . . "DAWN CREST"

7 years ago




This Ralph Moore rose was never introduced, so officially, it is MORsoucrest -- But we named it "Dawn Crest" for sharing purposes.


See: https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.62668

Take time to see the other photos shown there.

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    So lovely with yellow stamens and so pink petals. Does it fade ?
    Kim how does it smell ? Your are such a tease...lol
    Any pics of the rose as a bush ? I can imagine how beautiful it looks but a picture worth a thousand words...lol

    Jeri since it is no longer in commerce :)
    That's it...I am coming over to your place than to Kim's with my pruners....lol.

    It's beautiful rose. Thank you for sharing :)

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    It's a strong, sweet scent, Jin. You'll have to sneak into Jeri's garden for it as I no longer grow it.

  • 7 years ago

    What is the hardiness of this rose, does anyone know?

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, so pretty. I think rosarians and rose breeders need to live to 200 with special good health, etc. Imagine what would be coming out of his nursery now. I was so close (miles wise) and yet so far as I don't have this special beauty. Sad it is not available. Thanks for sharing, Jeri (you big tease!).

  • 7 years ago

    First -- It was NEVER in commerce. Rose breeders always produce more seedlings than they ever introduce, and as lovely as it is, this did not represent a step toward Mr. Moore's vision. And I got it by accident.

    I have it in mind to ask Alice Flores if she might want to grow it for HRG.

    MustbNuts . . . As it was, I think Mr. Moore made it to (?Kim?) ?106? . . . HE had good genes! But I grieve that that old place is gone. I can close my eyes, and see it . . .

    Jin -- You asked about the plant . . . , and I am very glad to have it. I almost lost it once, so my current plants are not mature. (But they're starting, now.) This is what it looked like, wound on a tuteur. But that is a dreadful job, because its prickles are vicious.
    https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.139284

  • 7 years ago

    I believe Ralph was 102 when he passed away. Just think of what roses could have developed if he lived another 100 years! Perhaps he could have found a rose that resisted RRD.

    I think it would be wonderful if this rose could be in production. Love the pictures!

    It is interesting to read the Texas A and M website about the Moore roses that they have. Seems most of them are susceptible to mildew and fungal diseases. A breeder is certainly influenced by the area where their roses are produced. Since Ralph bred for health, I would have not suspected that. Given where he lived and where his nursery was, we just really don't have the conditions that promote mildew and fungal diseases. So unless they are grown elsewhere, who is to know if the plants are disease resistant or not. Very much the same as DA roses that may do great in England but not so great here.

  • 7 years ago

    I've grown many of Ralph's roses, and I never saw a mildew problem. But TX's climate is unlike any part of CA -- so I suppose it's not surprising.

    By contrast, I have grown roses that are bulletproof in TX, and found that they were martyrs to rust and mildew in my garden.


  • 7 years ago

    Absolutely. There was a famous exchange between someone and Joseph Pernet-Ducher about his Pernetianas. The question, "But, what about the rust?" was posed, and answered "What rust?" He had never observed rust as it wasn't an issue where he developed and grew them. Ralph Moore created a very interesting Rugosa hybrid using 1-72-1 as the seed parent. The plant was nearly thornless with fuzzy stems and new growth, HT formed buds in red with yellow reverse. It flowered wonderfully, I really liked it, though the first spring I grew it, the plant rusted as badly as Wandring Wind (Buck) and all Arkansana hybrids except Morden Blush. He was flabbergasted because it had never rusted for him...until that fall when the weather was just right for rust to be rampant in his nursery. He experienced the same issue with another striped Rugosa hybrid he gave to Tom Carruth for test. For Tom, it rusted awfully, yet seldom for Sequoia. Some areas have little to no mildew issues while others it is terminal. Some areas have awful black spot issues, not just because of the conditions but also the strains of the fungal group they support. There are so many genetically different strains and no one rose is resistant to them. Even those resistant to the greatest number, aren't AS resistant under all conditions. Rust? Some of you have never seen it while others of us treat it with heavy iron applications (SHOVELS). Yes, Ralph Moore bred for disease resistance as well as ease of rooting and vigor own root and overall, he did a MARVELOUS job of what he achieved. But, it all depends upon location, location, location and all those locations bring with them.

  • 7 years ago

    I was fortunate to be gifted a large plant of ‘dawn crest’ from a great rose friend and I LOVE it! Fragrant, healthy (in S Central TX), ever blooming and very heat tolerant. DC is growing in a large container, on my brick patio in all day sun and is un phased by the heat and intense sun. I’ll be happy to share cuttings in the future. It seems to root easily too.

  • 7 years ago

    Hey Matt! I'm really pleased to know that!