Software
Houzz Logo Print
ali_elyse

Entry Closet? Thoughts?

7 years ago

In our current floor plan we chose NOT to have an entry closet because it’s hot here, Phoenix Az. It’s still 113 here and no one wears coats. In the winter when we wear coats- they are sweaters. Am I overlooking any usefulness of having an entry closet? We will have plenty of storage throughout the house.

Comments (22)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I do not think an entry closet is a necessity in every climate. You could always add a coat rack if something changes later on.

  • 7 years ago

    My thought is you can never have too much storage space. Put your vac in there maybe.

  • 7 years ago

    @Angel 18432 i already have a vacuum closet

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    So, you don't need a closet. Don't have a closet. Or make it larger and roll out your Christmas tree : ) completely decorated.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I have often thought that would be awesome Jan. I agree if you don’t want one don’t have one.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would KILL for that : ) honestly.

  • 7 years ago

    Shoes?

  • 7 years ago

    @J Williams our shoes will be kicked off in the mud room- I dont make guest take off their shoe. Also, we don’t have many guest

  • 7 years ago

    @JAN MOYER that’s a great idea for some. As of yet, I love live Christmas trees and the act of actually decorating it while eating Cookies and listening to John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album. Lol

  • 7 years ago

    Extra storage space is always handy. If a coat closet space works with your design why not include it? You can use it to store bulk items from Costco for example.

    Unless the closet is going to use up a large amount space in your living room, I can't imagine anything negative about including a coat closet.

  • 7 years ago

    I would still put in a small entry closet. What can you keep there? Shoes (I assume you have more pairs than ones you’re waring at any given time?), rain gear, light outerwear... also any other seasonal items.

  • 7 years ago

    If you have closets for storage, linens, brooms/vacuum, mudroom, and you live in a hot climate, I wouldn't put one. In the future during winter if you have more visitors, you can put a coat rack or decorative hooks.

  • 7 years ago

    I'd just wonder about it for resale. Do other houses in your area have entry closets? If you don't include one now, would it be easy for the next homeowner to add one should they wish?

  • 7 years ago

    In Arizona its 50/50 for entry closets. someone mentioned putting shoes in there but why wouldn’t I put them in my closet in my room or the mud room off the garage where we will enter and exit? If I dont put a closet I can have more windows in the entry. we will have a giant mudroom and large laundry room for costco storage and a random walk in closet in the hallway. I think I’m going with more windows and forgo the closet since it sounds like I already have storage for the above suggestions. Thank you all for helping me think about what could be put there- I was worried I was overlooking something!

  • 7 years ago

    Also I’ve never actually seen anyone (in my entire life) take off a coat and hang in up in the coat closet when visiting. I just don’t think that’s a thing in Phoenix. Too darn hot. Also we don’t have rain. I don’t even own an umbrella.

  • 7 years ago

    No rain either? Good grief. This is so foreign to me. If I had so little need for an entry closet, I'd want windows instead as well. Good luck with your build!

    Ali Elyse thanked tartanmeup
  • 7 years ago

    @tartanmeup flip flops are also worn year round. Scarves and boots are mere fashion accessories, I wear shorts and flip flops in December.

  • 7 years ago

    We grew up in Phoenix. Had an entry closet and never used it for coats. My mom stored the dining table leaves in there.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Just to mention we went to a dinner in ahuge home and one room was devoted to christmas it was awesome like walking into a wonderland and apparently they get a real tree every year to decorate so the best of both .

  • 7 years ago

    @Ali Elyse This is what I wear in December. And many of us have two pairs of winter boots: dressy and casual. Every winter, I curse my ancestors. :P

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I had a client years ago with a great dining room. Her built in buffet /serving spot, was flanked by two ,two foot CLOSETS. Yes closets. One was a single hung rod, with all her table cloths ready to go and hanging perfectly pressed; alongside were the leaves for her table and the pads.. The other was all deep shelving. Chargers, candles, the "seasonal" dishes, fun salad plate accents. colored stemware, outdoor dining , unbreakable stuff for the summer months.......and more. Most fantastic. : )

    Another had a large home, with a closet totally devoted to "game night." Trivial Pursuit to Monopoly, and on and on an on. Tucked in below the shelves, were folding chairs and the card table she needed for hosting bridge .

    A recent client .........one with a four years married son and now toddler added to the family mix? Emptied/shelved a less used closet for the very garish plastic toys and high chair needed when they visit.

    If all the "life" in your home, and the stuff of that life is accounted for, do the window. Just realize, life changes.....

    You made me think about it, and remember all manner of things.......locking gun closets, those devoted to a large safe ......toy closets , xmas closets, games....craft closets, man toys like drones and photography and camera collections., audiophile closets and the records collected to go with the high end turn table.....even extreme handbag collecting of a very expensive variety..

    You never know.