Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19747395

A busy weekend for me!

7 years ago

I can't speak for anybody else, but traditionally, this is the weekend I hit the lawn hard as I anticipate fall crawling its sticky way southward. I just dropped 17.5 pounds per thousand soybean meal (I had some left over from garden feeding), plus some urea I had lying around as a bit of a kick (about half a pound of N per thousand of immediate release).

Then sprayed my Prodiamine for fall coverage of sprouting P. annua and P. trivialis, and since I'm doing that, I might as well drop in the kelp and soil conditioner.

Then weeded the gardens and pulled out a few things that are done for the year.

Now I'm taking a short nap, thank you very much...

Comments (3)

  • 7 years ago

    LOL love it....How's the lawn reacting to all that food you put down?

  • 7 years ago

    Hello morpheuspa, Here's another chance to thank you (and San Antonio) for your wonderful help with my KBG renovation project. Here's a recap summary. Three years ago, I installed an underground sprinkler system on the back half of my 1/2 acre lot (1/4+ acre of grass). Front was already installed when I purchased the property. Now the sunken pipe lines are pretty well filled in and things are looking decent. Two years ago, I used Roundup to kill a large part of my lawn that was infested with undesirable grasses, weeds, etc., and decided to go with a 100% KBG lawn. This was followed with my Mantis tiller using the dethatching accessory installed to dethatch the lawn and then rake by hand. That was followed by the slicing accessory on the Mantis to make for a better seedbed. Lot of work? Yes, but well worth it in my opinion. The Mantis is a hard tool to beat. I then seeded with KBG in late summer. At first, I didn't think the KBG was going to germinate, but found out that with a little patience that a good part of the KBG sprouted. The (iPhone controlled) sprinkling system was essential in my opinion.I also got to see the sleep, creep, and leap factor of KBG along the way. Fast forward. This year I used the Mantis to slice additional small areas where I thought the KBG was not coming along as expected. I can now report that 98+ % of my lawn is made up of KBG. Front lawn is 99+ %. With my sprinkler system, I was able to get KBG germinated without difficulty even in the 90+ degrees of summer temperatures. I still have to go after a few straggler unwanted grasses, but I'm gaining on it. I also learned this year about Tenacity and can only give rave reviews about this product thus far. Since it can be put down with new KBG (and a few other varieties of grass) seeds, it has turned out to be a post emergent miracle worker for Yellow Nutsedge, Crabgrass, Dandelions, and several other weeds, even around new KBG sprouts. I'm confident it will be effective as a pre-emergent as well. Before learning about Tenacity, I was pulling as many of these weeds and I could (not nutsedge), since I didn't want to jeopardize my new KBG with other herbicides. Tenacity is working so well that I decided to put it down in my widow neighbor's yard to help keep weeds from her lawn to the southwest at bay in my lawn. Of course she was appreciative and my work will hopefully be lessened next year. My plan now is to continue with removing occasional unwanted grasses, leveling the lawn over time with the lawn leveling tool that I see on youtube. I also have several new plants to install in my front landscape. Finally, I'm now using Milorganite for most of the fertilization needs. Once again, thank you for your help with my project and good wishes for your own lawn work.

  • 7 years ago

    Wil: We need photos!


    James: So far, there are machetes involved... But rainfall has been minimal lately, so the grass growth has slowed.