Software
Houzz Logo Print
catspa_zone9sunset14

Chance Rose Seedlings

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have some roses in the front yard that I guess are particularly prone to supplying chance seedlings: Nastarana, Narrow Water, Darlow's Enigma, Lyda Rose, and Secret Garden Musk Climber, because there are more than half-a-dozen seedlings out there right now that bear some resemblance to them. The adult roses all produce numerous, colorful hips for which mockingbirds and squirrels, at least, have a great fondness during winter. Come this winter I will pot up the stray, smaller ones that are scattered about and see what they do.

There is a vining climber type with single white flowers in bunches that I think came from Darlow's Enigma (overall look of the leaves and prickles and that alluring musky scent) that I will leave in place (it's near a climbing support, fortunately). One that I already potted up and replanted in a front corner of a bed a few years ago is this one, found under Nastarana and looking a lot like Narrow Water, but not nearly as vigorous, staying just a few feet tall so far -- good repeat bloom and scent:





This little guy (3" tall!) is growing in a crack between pavers and got no irrigation until I saw him blooming one day (and he's already had two blooms!). The leaves are very much like Secret Garden Musk Climber and he smells like that, too:



There are a bunch more out there for me to collect, yet to bloom. I always enjoy random seedlings -- sort of like little surprise presents. Have you grown some on? Not many turn out to be great, but I do like that Nastarana seedling a lot.

Comments (2)