Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

'Dame Judi Dench'...

7 years ago

I recently acquired this rose, and enjoying it very much... I absolutely love the colour changes that you get...

..tea scented, sometimes rather tar like..

..when it's like this, it really stands out in the landscape...






...I love these fading colours... all at the same time...


..if you are thorn shy, this may not be for you...



I'm looking forward to this as a larger bush, providing it doesn't tear me to shreds first..

Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    What a stunning color

  • 7 years ago

    There was a time I would have sought it out simply for whom it is named. The actress is a favorite.


  • 7 years ago

    Wow, scary thorns! Thanks for sharing Marlorena. Helen

  • 7 years ago

    ..tea scented, sometimes rather tar like..


    Interestingly Malorena, when I read your post and looked at your images, the first thing that popped out at me was the phrase above. It has long been one of my pet peeves with David Austin Roses Ltd, that they no longer publish the breeding of their roses. Dame Judi... is only the second rose whose fragrance I have heard described as tea scented and tar like. The other is the early English Rose Jayne Austin. A decade or more ago, I wrote the quote below on this forum in answer to a question about J. A.:


    Jayne, has a potent blend of Tea rose and phenol, yes phenol. But to my snout Jayne's fragrance is the greatest rose scent there is. Major personal preference here; but Jayne's scent is TO DIE FOR!!!!!


    With respect to the reference to Phenol, it is an aromatic organic compound first extracted from coal tar. Your images and your description Dame Judi's... fragrance, all instantly made me think that this rose quite possibly has Jayne Austin in her breeding. Just a side bar and a guess, mostly because I am enamored with rose genetics and rose breeding and this fragrance is quite rare.


    Dame Judi... looks to be a lovely rose named after a great actress. I am ever so curious about her fragrance now!! I wish I had the room to give her a go.


    Cheers, Rick

  • 7 years ago

    Rick that's fascinating, how coincidental... I don't know the Jayne Austin rose at all, and I had no other reference to the 'tar' scent other than my own nose...

  • 7 years ago

    It’s so beautiful! I’d love to watch it bloom. It’s putting on a show!!

  • 7 years ago

    Jayne is a vigorous beauty. I'm growing up a cutting and am surprised how easily she struck and how quickly she's grown. There are some fabulous pics of her on HMF, some of which may be Rick's. I can't wait to smell her. I'm now also wanting Dame Judi! Your pictures are beautiful. I love roses that exhibit many colours at the same time; it's like growing multiple different ones!

  • 7 years ago

    Wow—what a beauty, and very interesting notes about the fragrance. Lovely form, too—like a perfect Pom-pOm. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful and I am not a fan of bright orange roses! Really pretty! Oh, those thorns! Major owies!

  • 7 years ago

    I love the colour , Marlorena. I was wondering which rose you picked since there were two new ones . Dame Judi is totally unique like Vap put it so nicely. It exhibit many colours as if you are growing different ones. I totally like that Vap and you are right !

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful rose!


  • 7 years ago

    Stephanie, that rose is beautiful and how big are the blooms ? I read on HMF and it just says large flowers :)

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Plumeria, Compassion’s blooms in our cool spring were 4in, it’s second flush mid summer, 90 degrees, were about 3inch. It’s setting a 3rd flush now.

  • 7 years ago

    EGADS!!! Those are some crazy thorns! She looks worth it though. The real life Dame Judy Dench is also sharp as a tack, so not inappropriate. She is one of my favorite actresses.

  • 7 years ago

    The buds look like Tea Rose... a beautiful blend of colors, Marlorena. I've noticed with the Tea scented Austins a mix of sweet and non-sweet scents, a complex type of fragrance.