Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofthreema

Why don’t more people choose induction?

Momofthree Ma
4 years ago

I was just reading an article on induction(below), and after reading, other than for looks(I personally prefer the look of a gas range top)I can’t figure out why anyone who actually cooks would choose gas over induction???
We are putting an induction cooktop after facing multiple building code issues with our preferred gas range top. At first I was disappointed, but the more I read about it, I am getting really excited about all the things an induction cooktop can do.
But, then I was talking to a neighbor today and he had never heard of induction. Are people just afraid of change?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewirecutter.com/blog/why-dont-people-use-induction-cooktops/amp/

Comments (102)

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

Great kitchens are usually designed around a great beefy gas range. What can I say, but nothing about a Wolf induction range rings my bell. Wold doesn't even show many pictures. A 48" range with grill and griddle?

• AJCN
    4 years ago

We've lived in Europe for work transfers and such, and every home or apartment we rented had an induction cooktop, teeny tiny separate oven, small fridge, and wierd washer/dryer combo for laundry in the kitchen (which never dried anything; and we had to hang all our clothes after the whole cycle was done!). But it was great; I'm not complaining. In the USA, induction is just not promoted or marketed in the same way (my family and friends have NEVER heard of it). Maybe it has to do with the more stringent energy-use regulations in Europe, so that builders go straight to induction as the default? I don't know. I do know that the HVAC we have here and the huge tanked water heaters we all have in our attics?? In Europe, it was all tankless, and the HVAC unit looked like it was about the size of a large briefcase. We didn't rent high-end places; just kind of middle of the road apartments or small homes. Things are different here in the USA, where there is more space, less population and population density (about 4.5% of the wordl?) and less regulataion. In more crowded placed like dense European cities (and lots of other cities around the world), things need to be really energy-efficient, and fit into smaller spaces, and induction is pretty much standard because of that.

• Just Me (Zone 6a)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We're appliance shopping and looked at induction and gas. I am sticking with gas. I like the way it looks and I'm not willing to part with my Simplex Tea Kettle - one of my all time favorite gifts (and doesn't work with induction). Also have heard a few stories about damage to induction not being repairable and don't want to have to replace it, as I'm a bit of klutz sometimes. A cast iron pan slipping onto my gas cooktop won't do much but annoy me.

That said, for everyone who loves induction, have at it! To each their own. :-)

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

We have a propane range. I have never used induction so can't really compare. I did have a question though. Can you slide heavy things such as a Lodge cast iron skillet across the induction top without it scratching the surface?

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vin, I just looked this up because my husband loves his lodge pans, I find them too hard to work with most of the time because they are so heavy. Paragraph on scratching below:
    —-
    How to Prevent Cast Iron from Scratching Your Induction Cooktop

It is possible to keep the surface of your induction cooktop looking smooth and pristine when using a cast iron pan and pot.

The first solution is to use a thin flexible silicone baking mat to protect the glass. Another practical suggestion is to move or place the cast iron pot or pan on the burner gently. For those of us who are used to using electric stoves with raised burners, this will be an adjustment. The third approach is to make sure the bottom of the cast iron skillet is smooth.

• Hillside House
    4 years ago

Translation: No.

• sierra90
    4 years ago

We are another induction lover. Had ours for 9 years, we like gas also but induction way easier to clean. We were in Home Depot last week and they did not have any to even look at. Salesperson said there is no interest and she really didn’t know anything about them. I will always choose induction- safe, clean and easy! Too bad it hasn’t caught on in the states.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    4 years ago

Where the US has 110V or 220V (60 Hz) for some appliances; Europe has 220V with 440V (50 Hz) for larger appliances.

• NYCish
    4 years ago

I think it is because a lot of people go by looks first and function second (but won’t readily admit that). Certainly not all people, and definitely not most people on houzz. But I’d imagine that a LOT of people look at an induction top and think it looks an awful lot like a cheap glass top electric stovetop. And they just can’t get past that.

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

Because they don't understand the difference, and don't know what they're missing.. imo.

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

NYCish, that was my exact issue! I really wanted the look of the range top, but it was just going to be such a hassle to install with all of the codes in my town, I just couldn’t justify it when the gas range top doesn’t offer any additional functionality.

• highdesertowl
    4 years ago

Two things holding me back from induction:

First: arthritis in my hands--I've read that lightweight pans often hum or buzz on the induction stovetop--unfortunately, all those wonderful, gorgeous, heavy cooking pans that work well with induction, are literally out of my "reach".

Second: My Mom--Every year of my life has been framed by Revere Ware pots and pans. Each morning I make hot cocoa in the pan my mother used to make hers. Many of my pots and pans belonged to her--they are light weight, they are not magnetic--My Mom is gone, and not able to be with me each day--but I can be darn sure her favorite pots are :)

• Just Me (Zone 6a)
    4 years ago

This is random, but I also read that a pacemaker could be affected by induction if the right conditions were reached. Admittedly, there are conditions that may or may not be met, but my FIL had a pacemaker before his death, and DH has some heart issues, so another reason we steered away from it. But the main reasons were in my comment above.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/medical/ask-the-experts/induction-hobs-and-pacemakers

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Interesting on the pacemakers, I’ve never heard that!
    Chocolate snap, that is definitely a good reason! I lost my mom 16 years ago and I hold on tightly to the things that remind me of her too.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

megs1030 said it best but like all threads about preferences people have to put down those who have differing preferences than their own.

So people who prefer gas are:

1. afraid of sciencey things

2. only got gas for looks-This is funny: like no one on Houzz puts expensive things in their kitchen for looks.

3. don't want to get out of their comfort zone

4. too stupid to realize it's not the same thing as an electric glass top

Got it.

• Kaylie
    4 years ago

My induction cooktop got a crack in it within a few months because I accidentally dropped a small glass spice jar on it. My fault, yes, but I don't have to baby my gas stove the same way. I've had both and I still think gas cooks better.

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Interesting. Is the glass on induction cooktops less hearty than those on electric smooth tops? I’ve had electric smooth top for years and I have never scratched or cracked it.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Two things holding me back from induction:

First: arthritis in my hands--I've read that lightweight pans often hum or buzz on the induction stovetop--unfortunately, all those wonderful, gorgeous, heavy cooking pans that work well with induction, are literally out of my "reach".

My pans now are no heavier than my old Revere Ware pots and pans and I have no issues with them humming. I bought Calaphon pots.

Additionally if you're using gas, those grates are harder to lift and clean than any pot.

If you're using an electric smooth top, cleaning on an induction is so much easier than the scraping and scrubbing on electric when something boils over.

Second: My Mom--Every year of my life has been framed by Revere Ware pots and pans. Each morning I make hot cocoa in the pan my mother used to make hers. Many of my pots and pans belonged to her--they are light weight, they are not magnetic--My Mom is gone, and not able to be with me each day--but I can be darn sure her favorite pots are :)

You can get a heat diffuser to use your Mom's old pots. While I wouldn't use it for all the pots and pans, I certainly would for your morning hot cocoa on Mom's old pot. :)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

This is random, but I also read that a pacemaker could be affected by induction if the right conditions were reached. Admittedly, there are conditions that may or may not be met, but my FIL had a pacemaker before his death, and DH has some heart issues, so another reason we steered away from it. But the main reasons were in my comment above.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/medical/ask-the-experts/induction-hobs-and-pacemakers

Most newer pacemakers are not a problem at all. And I mean over 20 years newer. My DH has a pacemaker (put in well over 20 years ago) and we called his pacemaker company, gave his number and were told he's fine as long as the pacemaker is at least 6" from the surface. I somehow doubt he's going to stand bent over with his chest 6" from the cooktop.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Interesting. Is the glass on induction cooktops less hearty than those on electric smooth tops? I’ve had electric smooth top for years and I have never scratched or cracked it.

No they are the same.

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

CPArtist, thank you, I got nervous about the glass for a minute!

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Thanks @vinmarks! Some of the comments I've read about the assumptions made about those who purchase gas ranges or (gasp!) actually prefer gas ranges... wow! Neither is superior to the other, it comes down to preference and how one likes to cook.

To me, there's something romantic and sexy about cooking on a gas range. TBH, when I first used gas 20 years ago, I was petrified of it. I was used to cooking on my parents' electric coil cooktop. I didn't know how to use a gas cooktop, I burned many things, cooked food way too fast. But I got used to it. Now I love it!

• User
    4 years ago

Because my DW wanted a gas cooktop. Enough said.

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Megs, I totally get what you are saying about the romance of the gas rangetop, I am honestly most sad that I won’t have that visual presence in my new kitchen, I just love the way they look.
    But, with that said, I have tweens/teenagers too, and I know that for my sometimes forgetful, impulsive tweens and teens, the induction is the safer option right now.

• Cavimum
    4 years ago

"Is the glass on induction cooktops less hearty than those on electric smooth tops?"

I do not know, but an induction cooktop won't have the burned on crud that I have seen accumulated on some electric smooth or ceramic tops. Induction has no "burner" under it, so the glass does not get as hot...though it will as it absorbs heat from the cookware. Spills have never burned and fused onto our induction cooktop. It is so darned easy to clean, even when rice has boiled over.

One thing I like about our cooktop that electric coil and gas cannot give, is I can use it as a counter top surface for food prep, chopping or mixing (baking). in our kitchen, that helps.

• highdesertowl
    4 years ago

Cpartist, thanks for the additional info. I will have to take a closer look (and weight test) with the Calphalon. I agree soooo much about the weight of gas grates! I am actually getting close to replacing our gas range--and was SERIOUSLY considering an electric just because of the increasing difficulty for me in cleaning the gas grates.

I knew about the heat diffusers--heard mixed reviews, but you're right, for the cocoa pan alone it may be enough :)

You have given me some things to think about, Thank you

Can I ask, which brand induction range is working for you with the Calphalon?

• megs1030
    4 years ago

@Momofthree Ma, I get it. Like I said, neither is right or wrong, you do whatever is best for your family! How's the hotel??

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

On day 3...so over the hotel!!! Ready to be home tomorrow and running a huge fundraiser where I have to distribute 1800 mums to the cross country runners who sold them...never a dull moment!

• Steph H
    4 years ago

With a crazy busy family schedule, I love induction for the ease of cleaning. There are so many crevices with gas. I also don’t think it looks cheap like someone said- mine doesn’t at least.

• moosemac
    4 years ago

As many have pointed out, I think the romance of the big beautiful gas range or range top is the dream for many Americans. I was one but then reality set in. No available natural gas so we would have had to plumb for propane. Then just before we were to start our kitchen reno, our DD and 18 month old grandson moved in. I reconsidered and ended up with an induction range. I am thrilled with it! The responsiveness, ease of clean up and safety add up to one great appliance. As an added bonus, I get new pans!

• Trish Walter
    4 years ago

our neighborhood doesn't have gas so we'd have to do propane...might still do it for fireplace but we might do wood burning...anyway I was really sad at first but then read about induction and now am super excited...mostly because bottoms of my pots and pans won't be black and the clean up...but a gas range sure is fun and pretty.

now i'm trying to decide on a 36" induction cooktop and electric ovens...thoughts?

also those that love the look of the range...check out the AGA Mercury Induction Range ....hubba hubba.

• Robbin Capers
    4 years ago

I'd be interested but I also want a double oven slide-in range and the selection is really limited. We already have propane in the house and are used to gas ranges, so it's the default for us.

• rureadyinla
    4 years ago

I’ve had my induction cooktop for 3 years now and I love it. I grew up with gas, but when we remodeled, I did my research and decided to go with induction. No regrets at all. Love their is no fire and super easy to keep clean.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

Trish Walters I'm curious what you mean by the bottoms of your pots and pans won't be black?

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Trish, we are installing the Bosch 800 series 36 inch induction cooktop and double ovens. I haven’t used them yet, but I’ve heard really good things!

• Trish Walter
    4 years ago

winmarks...my gas range gets the bottom of my pots and pans black sometimes if too hot or uneven cooking. it wipes off but annoying.

• rureadyinla
    4 years ago

I also meant to add that another reason why I like the induction is that gives the illusion of more counter space. So I tend to use it more for other things beyond actually cooking than how I previously used a gas cooktop. Here is my 4 year cooktop.... still looks new! (I know I said 3 years above but I forget how time flies. Plus I am getting older, leading me to being more forgetful!)

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    4 years ago

I think most people don't think that much about cooking appliances like they do on this site. My mother-in law has an old flat top electric and she is an amazing cook. She just takes the pan off the burner when it gets too hot.

Secondly, people don't like that the may have to replace their pots and pans (not a big deal in my eyes).

The other problem is induction is still over-priced.

• mlb418
    4 years ago

I think most people prefer or stick with gas just because it is tried and true. We had a gas range that we replaced with induction when we remodeled. We were drawn to the look of the smooth cooktop, the ease of cleaning, and the safety of cooking with induction. But a lot of people tried to talk us out of it - gas is the preference around here, so moving away from that was seen as risky. We are two months into using our induction cooktop, and so far we love it!

• S L
    4 years ago

Got an induction for my main house bc didn't have the gas hookup. I've wanted a gas range for so long and have a vacation property that has all the hookups and we're renovating it now. Guess what I'm going with induction. I'm 62 and love the ease of cooking and cleaning the induction more than the aesthetics of a gas range.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Just read that the city of Berkeley has banned gas appliances in new construction. Several California cities are considering following suit. I didn't see this coming.

• kerryfromtheprairie
    4 years ago

I have an induction, and I hate it. Anytime your water boils over or even splashes (say, boiling pasta) our Bosch induction shuts off and starts beeping. The only benefit is it's safer for my kids to cook on because of the lack of burner.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Can I ask, which brand induction range is working for you with the Calphalon?

Oops. Sorry I missed this before now. I have the Bosch 800 cooktop and I love it. The reason is it had actual "buttons" you "push" to get the exact temperature you want as opposed to scrolling. Plus each hob has it's own timer.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I have an induction, and I hate it. Anytime your water boils over or even splashes (say, boiling pasta) our Bosch induction shuts off and starts beeping. The only benefit is it's safer for my kids to cook on because of the lack of burner.

That's strange. That hasn't happened to me on my Bosch. That would be quite annoying. Maybe call them and find out if that's normal?

• kerryfromtheprairie
    4 years ago

We bought the house with the induction stove. I think it's normal. It's telling you there's water on the electrical panel. Ughhhhhh!!!!

• Chessie
    4 years ago

I have a good-sized collection of gorgeous copper pots and pans. They won't work on induction. I also have a few other pots that won't work. I am not willing to give them up, so my electric range is just fine for me.

• MizLizzie
    4 years ago

cpartist, my old Bosch induction cooktop was very forgiving, too. Spills and boil overs were never a problem. It was the old Bosch 300, no longer made, unfortunately. We moved, and installed a Bosch 800 in our remodel. I have to say, it is more sensitive to everything, including spills — but only if the spill reaches the control panel zone. I still would not give up this cooktop, or go back to gas. Ever. But I wish I had swapped out the 300 before I sold the old house. It was much less sensitive to touch and spills. and the beeps were softer and less annoying.

• PRO
    The Chair Affair LLC
    4 years ago

I decided to try induction in my last kitchen remodel. I was scared to walk away from gas completely, so I got a Wolf induction cooktop and one of their gas modules. Three years later, I almost never use the gas. The induction is fantastic! It's as responsive as gas, maybe more so. It gives off much less heat than gas so the kitchen stays cooler. And it's easy to clean. I just wipe it with water and a paper towel. If I want it to look brand new, I use a glass cooktop cleaner, which is like Softscrub. I will never cook with gas again.

• Momofthree Ma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just an update, after 6+ months with my Bosch 800 induction cooktop, I would never go back to gas. The speed boil is amazing, it’s so easy to clean and getting a specific temp for a seat etc is perfect. I love my induction cooktop, thank you to everyone who helped me make this decision!

• Robbin Capers
    3 years ago

Great update! I'm looking forward to our induction stove. If we want to use gas for anything we can have a separate burner outside with the grill.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor