gardengreat

Lancifolia hostas exploding in blooms now

gardencool
September 10, 2019

• djacobz568sewi

They certainly are!

• popmama

wow, gardencool, I love your garden. It's very abundant! I like the love lies bleeding and cock's comb celosia. Fabulous!

gardencool thanked popmama
  • lindalana 5b Chicago

Last hooray. ..I always start feeling sad when my anemones and aconitums going into bloom. So far asters have started.

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

They are pretty this time of year

• gardencool

I grow the celosia every year. Hang the seed heads upside down in windows for color in the winter (they hold their color for many months) and in the spring just shake the seed heads over a planter and a thousand tiny little celosia pop up.

• djacobz568sewi

Love this idea!!! What type of celosia is that in your garden??

• popmama

I will never forget seeing the huge cock's comb celosias at Monticello! They were huge like the size of your head! When I see yours I am reminded of that.

• popmama

I'm full of questions. Is that a Tiger Eye sumac in your profile pic? I just love your style I guess!

gardencool thanked popmama
  • gardencool

popmama, that is a regular Cutleaf Staghorn sumac, not a Cutleaf Staghorn Tiger Eye sumac. Not native to my area (zone). But like native sumac spreads through sucker roots, luckily for me because for 2 years in a row very large branches from the maple tree have broken off and bombed the Staghorn with direct hits.

• gardencool

" Monticello! " Funny you mention that. My local MSM newspaper weekly national columnist Gerson described Monticello yesterday as "a mountain top prison for black people"!!! Part and parcel of the 'America is evil' progressive campaign being taught in our public schools. At the very same time this very same MSM newspaper is lamenting the loss of readership!!!