Software
Houzz Logo Print
skatd

What colors/ styles will look good for my master bedroom?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a medium sized master bedroom. I recently bought a Tommy bahama island estate bedroom set because i tend to like all things Tommy bahama. I like the tropical feel of it. But i guess everything looks much better in the showrooms than at home. I might have gone overboard since i think the bed looks a tad bit bigger for my room. Also i am not getting any tropical vibe due to the wrong paint colors which kind of matched my earlier bedroom set. Could you give me some ideas on what colors to paint the room in, wall paper maybe, curtain types, carpeting on floor etc so that the room looks more cohesive and tropical. I tend to like resort rooms.


Comments (22)

  • 7 years ago

    Not without photos.


    Also, there are 6,831 tropical bedrooms on Houzz here: https://www.houzz.com/photos/tropical-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2108 Start a bedroom ideabook.

  • 7 years ago


    Tommy Bahama Island Estate Bedroom Collection · More Info


    Tommy Bahama Home Beach House · More Info


    skatd thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    First I rarely like bedroom sets but now you it lets get some pictures of your space .

  • 7 years ago

    Sorry i have been trying so hard to upload a photo of my space but looks like there is a bug in their website. It doesn't seem to be accepting the image. I'll keep trying.

  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    Add your photo - .png format is fine. Wait until it is no longer grayed-out before hitting submit,

    skatd thanked branson4020
  • 7 years ago

    In reply to njmomma - I looked at the first photo and was wondering if the look will be too manly for the room. Also should i go for wallpaper or paint?

  • 7 years ago

    First, the room is too cluttery. The gray wall doesn't work here. And the quilt doesn't either. Not for a tropical look. I'd start by looking for new bedding. Crisp white could work here with the right accents.

    skatd thanked groveraxle
  • 7 years ago

    Is the gray an accent wall? The warm cream color on the right side wall with the window would work as a base with the bedroom set and might be a easy change if you only have one wall to paint. It is lighter than the warm golden color in the sales photo.

  • 7 years ago

    Do you have windows on the other walls and do you prefer darker/cozy or bright and light bedrooms? Are you changing the drapes? If so, the rods can be hung closer to the ceiling and longer panels used.

  • 7 years ago

    Patchwork quilt does not say tropical. The too small pictures detract from the bed.

  • 7 years ago

    Here's a start:


  • 7 years ago

    Love groveraxle so helpful all the time ;-)

  • 7 years ago

    You need to raise your mattress to work with the proportion of the headboard.

  • 7 years ago

    Love of idea of white bedding, I think that will help a lot! Maybe instead of gray walls, try light green instead to help with the tropical feel? Something like this:

    Ocean Reef Club, Key Largo Florida · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Very good ideas. The gray wall was done for a previous bed that i had. It had a more modern feel. The current one is traditional. I want to go for a different wall color (beige and gray) and have something that matches the look. Maybe greens or yellows?

    groveraxle - What did you use to draw up that image with all the changes? I do my editing in paintbrush and its a nightmare. It's lovely. Thank you

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    How will a tommy bahama bedding look instead of white?

    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tommy+bahama+bedding&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

    Not sure which one to choose. I basically just like a quilt or coverlet on bed instead of comforter sets.

    Also need help selecting drapes and choosing between wallpaper and paint. Thanks

  • 7 years ago

    Skatd, I use Photoshop.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I love a tropical room but could never quite pull it off. It’s a fun feel. The good news is you have those corner windows and the ceiling fan. I agree that repainting could help. I’d look at the photos of rooms you love. I’m guessing the wall color is a warm white. The carpet is going to detract from the tropical vibe. Not sure if it’s worth-it to go to hardwood floors. Plus accessorize. I’d suggest a big tall plant, like a palm. Also, google for similar rooms to see how they accessorize. I’d suggest googling Tommy Bahama and also “British colonial“ to get ideas. In terms of art, I’ve found that one large painting has more impact than a group of smaller ones. (But don’t rush it, wait to find a piece you love, preferably original art). And queue the Hawaiian music ;)

    skatd thanked girl_wonder
  • 7 years ago

    Natural window shades and tropical print curtains would pull it in the right direction. There are "tropical" prints that are still neutral.

    skatd thanked suzyq53
  • 7 years ago

    Google British Colonial design ideas. I think something along those lines will go with your bedroom look.

    skatd thanked A V