Software
Houzz Logo Print
kouklitsa159

Custom Closet Design help.

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've mocked this up for the builder. What do think of this layout? For us it makes sense but I want to be sure Im not missing anything!

Some specs. The drawers would go on the longest wall. Each unit is 32 inches wide. Total together is 64. On the left I did 4 shoe rack shelves. Right has 2 with a shelf on the top. 4 is more than enough for me and 2 is way more than enough for my husband. We're pretty simple when it comes to shoes.

The double rod on either side of the closet is 3 feet. The single rod is 20 inches.


Also I wanted to add the door to the closet is now a pocket door.







Comments (9)

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Lindsay Lausch Interior Design! The only issue is we've moved out of our old house and are living with my in laws while we finish our build. I wish we had measured beforehand but I never though about it... :/ Im trying to find closets specs online that show what should be at what height but no luck so far. The measurements you see there are just the standard provided by the SmartDraw online app. Im thinking that's just standard sizing and I should be ok. Hopefully...

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    California Closets will do layouts for you for free along with a consultation. Maybe check them out to confirm, but your layouts look appropriate.


    When is your new build scheduled to be finished? Do you need any help in any other area?

  • 7 years ago

    Just wanted to ask what other furniture will be in the main part of your bedroom -- it seems like you're spending a lot (money and space) on putting drawers in your closet, and that would be redundant if you have dressers and other storage elsewhere. We did our extra space as open shelves, and it's been good for sweaters, extra or off-season blankets, and all sorts of other things that seem to come up...

  • 7 years ago

    @acm we will have one large dresser in the bedroom and two side tables. Then a sitting are for reading if we can fit it in there.

    I guess our thinking is after we shower we can grab what we need to get dressed in one place and not have to go to the closet and then our bedroom. I plan on putting stuff like workout clothes and pajamas in the bedroom dresser as those are things I don’t usually put on after a shower. Same with my husband.

  • 7 years ago

    @lindsaylaushinteriordesign We are in northern Ontario so I don’t think they would deliver to us unfortunately. The builder is building these units for us custom.
    No help yet but thank you!

  • 7 years ago

    So this is what you're planning to do?

    - Yes to changing to the pocket door ... since the current hinged door will "cover up" all the clothes on one side, this is essential. However, a pocket door will break eventually, and then it'll be an expensive fix.

    - Yes to placing the drawers dead-ahead of the door. Clothes will look messy at times, but drawers will always be nice and neat.

    - You really don't want a 24" door anywhere (except maybe a small reach-in coat closet).



    But the closet's pretty small for two adults to share, while the bathroom contains so much wasted space. I'd condense the bathroom -- here I've condensed it only a small bit, but it adds more than a foot of extra space for each adult. Bring the toilet out of the dark, difficult-to-clean closet and set it apart behind a pony wall. You have a huge-long vanity.

    This balances the closet and bathroom a bit better.

    Note that I also "pulled back" the master suite door, creating a little hallway for the entrance. This allows your door to "park" in the hallway and makes your room feel a little larger.











  • 7 years ago

    @acm we will have one large dresser in the bedroom and two side tables. Then a sitting are for reading if we can fit it in there.

    I guess our thinking is after we shower we can grab what we need to get dressed in one place and not have to go to the closet and then our bedroom. I plan on putting stuff like workout clothes and pajamas in the bedroom dresser as those are things I don’t usually put on after a shower. Same with my husband.

    If this board is any indication, I think most people are building closets big enough to contain ALL clothing, which allows them to omit dressers in the bedroom. It's a neater, cleaner look. With the dresser gone, you could definitely fit in a reading nook.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    As Lindsay said you definitely want to measure the contents that will be going into the closet. I’d suggest adding to that number for future purchases.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County