katyajini

Is Ascot fragrant?

katyajini
September 23, 2019

Here is a another rose I nearly ordered from palatine but held back because I was not sure how fragrant it is. Can someone please comment on how fragrant it is? I know it is much loved among many members.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Am getting mine from Freedom Gardens in about a month so I can't comment, unfortunately.

katyajini thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

You know, if you give Peter a call at Freedom Gardens, I am sure he could tell you. He has that rose available on own root. Nice guy. Responds to emails too!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

I don’t remember mine being fragrant:( but the color and form was excellent!

katyajini thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • katyajini

Everywhere I read it is very modestly scented. But oh the beauty of the flowers! You are so right Lilly. Its not mostly red is it?? The rose list at freedom Garden does not have ascot so I did not call. But thanks for that source mustbenuts!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

He has over 1200 different varieties so they aren't all listed and those which are change based on availability. I don't even think he lists all the Jerabek roses. Call. I got mine from him. Very slight fragrance. I would put it as a deep red which ages to the blue spectrum. Great plants.

If you want a fragrant red look at Rouge Royale (I don't grow it) or Crimson Glory. I only grow the climbing form of the latter, but want the bush form as one can't have too much of this rose. A smaller fragrant red that I've been very impressed with for health, vigor, bloom form and frequency is Bordeaux Citiscape. Really great rose in its first year. Of course, for a smaller red Barcelona sets the standard.

katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • katyajini

Ok I will call. I actually dont want red at all. I thought ascot has a lot of blue in it and is a over all cool colored rose?

You always give so much helpful information Vap. Thank you!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Yes, please call. As Vap stated he does have a ton of roses that are not listed (although it was when I ordered it in August). He told me that this rose is one of the most popular with visitors and that more people should grow it. I am excited to be getting mine (especially on own-root since the rootstock that Palatine has does not do well with the soil and water that I have).

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

My ascot is one of my more fragrant roses!

It smells sort of like raspberries to me.

katyajini thanked Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Beautiful Tammy !!! Well if you say it’s fragrantcthen it must be and I had forgotten. I shouldn’t have answered without a rose in front of me to compare. :)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Lilyfinch, my first blooms weren't fragrant so don't feel bad. I have a few buds so I'll be sure to take note and post here when they bloom. Of course, Nahema is flowering and it's hard to compete with that one! : ))

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Vapor how hascthe growth and rebloom been on nahema been for you ? I ordered two and am wondering where I’ll place them . I have super high expectations for them ! Lol

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I grew mine from a tiny rooted cutting taken winter 2017/2018. In it's tiny pot I got one bloom to hook me in last summer. She had a growth spurt late spring 2019 and I planted her in the ground on 7/8/2019 in full sun growing up into a small Cornus Mas tree in front of a brick wall. She is now partially shaded by the wall as she sits on the North side. Given those parameters, I'm very impressed. Clean and vigorous. (OK! I don't mean vigorous like Gold Blush or Florentina, but good growth.) She is now on her 3rd baby flush giving a handful of deliciously fragrant blooms of a mature look, but not as full as other pics I've seen. I have amended clay and her roots stay moist even without much rain. Truly a wonderful rose. Lilyfinch, if you have a protected spot do consider Cl. LaFrance. Ingrid loves the bush version. What a fragrance!!! Are you able to grow climbers on your back hill perhaps adding some sort of support and then planting bush roses at their feet? I think you have a lot of space for more that way similar to Cori Anne's garden.

• katyajini

Tammy, thank you! I forgot I asked you the same question previously! For me its so good to know Ascot has some fragrance. The physical beauty of the rose is extraordinary.

Is this Ascot, the shorter bush with clusters of dark pink red purple flowers at the beginning? I cant understand what she is saying but the writing sure looks like ascot. Do the leaves look right? I wonder what the white climber is, its impressive!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajG1S6W8gSE

Bolero is unanimously considered to be fragrant but my first year bolero blooms were not fragrant. So....

I have ordered a nahema from Palatine and am so excited to experience its fragrance...but long way off!

Now I have to look up climbing La France..

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Don't forget ARE has free shipping (again I hope) on CyberMonday! They carry climbing LaFrance.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

My Ascot has put up a couple of more mature blooms and it is DEFINITELY fragrant!!!