Software
Houzz Logo Print
jjkoc

Is Evelyn compatible with SDLM?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a full-sun-all-day spot in the yard next to a fence. I was thinking of maybe planting Evelyn and potentially a climbing Souvenir de la Malmaison that will continue along the fence.

Would the two roses be compatible in color and growth habit?

Comments (19)

  • 7 years ago

    I found that 'Evelyn' ages quickly to a "dirty dishrag pink" when grown in full sun - a color I found to be most displeasing. Otherwise, the answer to your question is yes, except you'll likely find 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' is exponentially more vigorous than 'Evelyn', so don't place them where they will compete for space.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    One thing ... I see you are in a climate similar to mine (Coastal Ventura County). Here, 'Evelyn' was a robust climber that only bloomed at the top of 14-ft. canes.

    Had I known, when I planted her, I'd have espaliered her canes horizontally, to push blooming laterals, but I could not do that where she was. Because of the lack of bloom, I would not plant her again.


    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for your thoughts Paul, Jeri and Austinkisses.


    Dishrag pink doesn‘t sound pleasing at all... and neither does blooming at the tippy top. Jerri I had read your experience in another thread and considered pegging/espaliering. But if SDLM will be a more vigorous rose, perhaps I only need one rose for this location?


    I had thought of planting Elie Beauvillain to climb along the top of the fence, planted from another spot farther down the fence and have SDLM/Evelyn from this L-location, where the fence turns a corner. Would SDLM and Elie complement one another? I think Elie is a warm pink while SDLM is a cooler pink, would this look awkward due to colors and flower forms?


    Paul, would you know if SDLM climbing would be so vigorous it would take over the fence? It seems like Elie could, which is why I was thinking to provide the entire south-facing length of the fence to Elie. I am inspired by a pic of Elie growing on Masha’s fence in her blog!


    Thank you all for sharing advice so the choices I make will be suitable!

  • 7 years ago

    Wow Austin!! Just wow . I was coming here to say thanks to Paul and jeri so I didn’t make a mistake and now I see your pics and I want to cry they are so beautiful. You grow it very well !!! I did see Evelyn at a rose society garden and it was indeed very tall and blooms up high but the owner said it was old and time to replace it .

  • 7 years ago

    Let’s see more of your garden Austin !! Love your arbor , where did you get it ?!

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Lilyfinch, your obelisk planting of Evelyn is lovely! Austinkisses can you share your zone?

  • 7 years ago

    Hey thanks folks I love compliments on my roses, guess we all do. I have bought several of the pyramid supports over the years from different places. I looked and Amazon currently has them like mine which is 81" tall and made of cedar. It is $149 which is about $50 more than I paid when I last bought from elsewhere. If you get one my suggestion is to support the legs on something. I bought thick pavers from Home Depot. After mulching a couple of times the legs get buried and start to rot. I plant the bush to the side and wrap the canes around and around when they are young and pliable. This works great with the Austins that throw those long unattractive arms in all directions, the fault becoming a strength.

  • 7 years ago

    zone 9 Dallas for me

  • 7 years ago

    I had the same problem with wooden things too. How about the black metal arbor in the back of the garden ? I just ordered a second of one I have from plow and hearth but I kinda like yours better :)

  • 7 years ago

    Sharing Paul Neyron since you were so kind about Evelyn. I couldn't resent sending that pic of the top of the obelisk Paul is one who has beautiful huge flowers year round (larger than my hand) with lots of fragrance but throws long canes. They suggest pegging him but I have never wanted to use up so much real estate with one bush. t I have seen pictures of pegging l that gave a beautiful result. Maybe some of you do that and if so I would love see pictures, I bet Ben T has pegged some, he seems to be on top of all things rose.




  • 7 years ago

    the metal arch was from a store in Houston that has since gone out of business. I have always had trouble with this one staying straight. It worked when next to a fence but not so this one without anything behind it for support. I think it is the physics of design, the opposing sides can't counter balance the weight. Not my area someone smarted would know.

    That Monet Arch is a great one with over 6' betw. sides if you have room. I sent photo of Abe Darby growing on it in a different discussion.

  • 7 years ago

    I think SdlM and Elie would look good together and complement each other. Here, I have both own root. My Evelyn own root, OTOH, I would not recommend but a grafted one does a lot better. I may pull own root Evelyn, and I am not prone to doing that.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks for the sources for arches Austinkisses, and nice pics!


    Sheila, wow... is own-root Evelyn a poor performer, I had thought it would be vigorous! Thank you for your thoughts on color, as I haven’t seen either of these roses in-person.

  • 7 years ago

    Jjk, own root Evelyn is terrible for me here in the spot I put it. I'm not sure on other's experience like Ingrid in your area. My grafted plant is much better in the same conditions.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Also Elie and SdlM might be a similar color and not offer a contrast with each other, but I love their colors.

  • 7 years ago

    Austinkisses, Wow! What beautiful roses! Now that is exactly what I need to do for my Paul Neyron. It just threw these 6 foot canes a few weeks ago from a 2 gallon planted this April. I wasn’t sure what to do since I have such a small yard.

  • 7 years ago

    all of our gardens shrink when you start growing roses... :)) I try to go up for space and sun in my north facing garden

  • 7 years ago

    So based on sharings and re-reading posts on SDLM, I’ve backed off on SDLM climbing until I see how the bush form does here. I still plan to have Elie on the fence, and depending how all the colors work together then I’ll decide if I want to try Evelyn or another at the SW location.


    Right now the garden is at a stage where I wonder if I will ever be able to materialize the garden in my mind...


    Here’s to the attempt!

    plumeria—a symbol of new life


Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals