Software
Houzz Logo Print
lesli_neubauer

What would you do?

My Aunt Minnie has had her own nursery for probably 50 years. She still has it all though it's been scaled back. Any way she is aging and in poor health now. She has a beautiful rose that she planted from seed. She said God did the pollination/breeding, but its a seedling from a Golden showers. I tried to tell her she should contact Mike Shoup to see if he'd be interested. Aunt Minnie said it blooms like crazy all the time and it's her healthiest rose. This is a cutting my friend bought from her. My friend found her without knowing she was my aunt. She said she's just not worried about such stuff now, but I had her permission to do that. She said it is only about 3ft tall, but it roots easily from cuttings. I don't have one yet so I hope this is not counting my chickens before they hatch. Aunt Minnie is supposed to be starting me one.

Comments (25)

  • 7 years ago

    What a lovely bloom. I hope you get your cutting!

    Kate

  • 7 years ago

    It's a really lovely rose, and seems to have so many desirable qualities.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh yes, that’s a lovely story! It has great value, as a family rose, so it needs to be propagated even if just for you and your family. It’s pretty enough to go with many other colors too.

    I just love a rose with a story! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Shows no resemblance to Golden Showers, although modern roses can have complex genetics.

  • 7 years ago

    I would buy that :). Is it fragrant? It looks like it would be lol.

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Emothrium in that it doesn't show any affinity with Golden Showers. It more resembles a Tea in foliage, form and coloring to my eye. Think William R. Smith, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Mme. Antoine Mari, etc.

    Mrs. Dudley Cross

    Mme Antoine Mari


    It IS a pretty thing and I agree it would make a very fitting memorial to Aunt Minnie and her half century of spreading beauty around her. Good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    Lovely! Is she fragrant? I would buy her as well.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm not sure about the fragrance, because I have not gotten mine yet. But I will find out.

  • 7 years ago

    Particularly with it being so similar to certain Teas probably it isn't the Golden Showers seedling.

  • 7 years ago

    Even if the other parent is different? She is sure she planted the seed from the golden showers rose. She was surprised also that it was more tea like. She planted the seeds, but didn't pollinate it, and of course has numerous roses so couldn't be certain who the papa was.

  • 7 years ago

    to me the shape/ruffles of the petals looks similar, but it has way more petals and softer color that seems to be from a pink rose father.

  • 7 years ago

    the first 3 are golden showers from internet 3 different sources. To me, the color and petal count are the biggest differences. I don't guess I understand enough about rose genetics to understand why you say it's NOT a seedling of golden showers.

  • 7 years ago

    Again at this stage in the discussion the cause for concern about the belief that it is an open pollinated Golden Showers seedling is how much it looks like specific known Tea cultivars. Including having the same pointed leaflets. As though it is in fact one of those itself.

  • 7 years ago

    But look at the 2nd "golden showers" pic on my previous post. To my eye looks much more like my aunt's rose than the tea roses and has slight tinges of pink. I'm looking at the form not just the color.

  • 7 years ago

    The foliage shape, texture and color show no affinity to any Golden Showers seedling I've ever seen. That is far from definitive, but if I had to place money, it would be against GS being involved.

  • 7 years ago

    Minnie Dudley Cross would be a good name if she is so small. She looks adorable.

  • 7 years ago

    Can one of you post a close up photo of your golden showers foliage?

  • 7 years ago

    I just spoke with my Aunt Minnie again. She said that perhaps her golden showers isn't really a golden showers, but it is a bright yellow climbing rose that looked like a golden showers that she did receive from one of her customers who called it a golden showers. and she said it's foliage does look like a tea rose, and said perhaps she got her seedlings mixed up, but regardless she has never owned a Dudley Cross or any other similary colored rose. She has had medium pink rose. but again most of the roses she has does not make hips and this "golden showers" does so she assumed it was the parent. even though she said the seedling doesn't look like the yellow rose to her eyes either. When she pulls the hips she bites them to open them up and crumbles them into a hanging basket pot and that is how this rose came to be. It is definitely a seedling that did NOT come from a Dudley Cross. She said she has a fairy rose, a climbing blaze. A medium pink rose and a climbing pink rose that my grandmother used to grow with fairy like only larger flowers.

  • 7 years ago

    I definitely wouldn't name it and disperse it as something new without using in person comparison with other roses such as the suggested Teas to make sure it wasn't in fact one of those. And even if it is somehow of independent genetic origin yet essentially duplicates the characters of one or more existing named cultivars than that similarity just be itself would rule against naming and dispersal of it. Because there are already thousands of kinds of garden roses out there, with too much similarity between some of them as it is. To give just one repeatedly discussed as an example there's apparently a whole set of 'Cecile Brunner' type roses for instance, all quite of the same ilk in appearance yet different from one another in naming and origins. As though different breeders all had the same idea at different times.

  • 7 years ago

    To give just one repeatedly discussed as an example

    was supposed to be

    To give just one repeatedly discussed rose as an example

  • 7 years ago

    If it is a seedling, the parentage is not really that relevant. It will be a unique cultivar in the same way any orphan at an orphanage would *not* be the same as any other person, barring identical twins (which is not in question in this case). Not having a definitive I.D. on the parentage of a seedling does not preclude its introduction. (A good number of those are reported falsely anyway.) The bigger problem in memorializing your aunt is simply the question as to whether anyone will find adequate value in the plant to want to acquire it.

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful flower. If it is fragrant, I'd want one. It looks a bit like White Maman Cochet to me in terms of color. How big are the flowers?

  • 7 years ago

    A friend's younger plant is sending out blooms a little smaller than your palm.

  • 6 years ago

    I experimented with Teas back I was more willing to do zone pushing. When I saw the picture, I would have thought it is a Dudley Cross.