Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

Fall has to wait.....

Monyet
4 years ago

Had to break away from yard stuff, just came back from my old stomping grounds, Chicago! A few weeks is good enough, could have continue to pay a visit to my Canadian friends.

Anyway, trees didn’t suffer all that much, fruits are still developing at a good rate.

Comments (20)

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Amy, it was a trade I did last summer, got 3 plants, 2 died, this one is growing pretty good.

Don,t really know how to take care of, but it’s growing. Hope it will make it through the coming winter. Thanks. I don’t think they like acidic soil like citrus. Osmocote plus is what I am using for this plant, having a lot of this stuff available because I use it on citrus also. Starting this month I,ll be using Osmocote to about February, last application will be December.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Looking good Bob My forecast as follows for daytime highs.

92,91,95,95,93 Fall is waiting for me.

Steve

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Bob, welcome home. I'll bet you still missed your trees? What is that fruit with the cute dog in the picture? That is quite a nice looking picture to boot. Two nice things at once. I wish summer had not gone by so fast. They are already talking 3 feet of snow in the west and it's only September. I am already getting ny ares ready to bring m one inside even with a broken foot. Horrible doing this with a boot on(

Nice work

Mike

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mike, got good help, they told me, don’t worry. I put my trees on cruise control. You better take it easy and be more careful, not taken any unnecessary changes. Fruit is a Shiranui, it looks more like a rusted handgrenade..

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    4 years ago

Bob, nice looking trees and fruit! My Shiranui graft has two flowers on it, I hope to have at least one fruit this year :)

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey Mike, do you know anybody missing on this forum, Sunshine is back and, and, and a few others, I am beginning to stutter.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Bob, yes, too may are missing. I hope they are ok. I have been praying everyone is alright. It worries me to see how much we are getting older and how many are getting sick. Then too how busy everyone is and how fast time flies by. I am grateful you always find the time to be here. You always keep this forum going and I appreciate it more than you know.

I miss quite a few here and I think they know who they are. I am afraid to mention names thinking I might forget to mention someone. Look what happend to Sunshine, and I am so happy she 's back!

Amy good to see her here too, after all she's been through. Can't wait to see her greenhouse again.

By the way, my figs ripened this year thanks to your advice last year.))

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Bob, your family must be so happy to be able to use fresh ingredients to cook thanks to you! Pandan leaves how amazing! Oh I can think of a few desserts that I would have bake! I really love to see pictures of your collection!

Mike! How are you? It’s so true! Time flies so fast! It’s been almost one and half year since my diagnosis. I just came back to work last week. Very tired but happy to be able to do something else than go to the hospital!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Some of my Asian/Spanish collection of persimmon, normally I harvest hundreds of them around November. Amy, the power of exchanges among members nationwide including Canada. People wants persimmon sionwood and I want Pandan. Can get more If I want more.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    4 years ago

Bob your persimmon trees look great and what inspired me to get one myself couple of years back. My grafted asian persimmon did not make it through last winter. The root stock is still alive but not very vigorous though.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tropic, I am in 6b, the N/w corner of Arkansas, grow my grafted trees on native persimmon. Could send you seeds if you so desire.

4 years ago

Thanks a lot Bob for the offer but I think I will pass on that for now. I guess they will take years to fruit when started from seed. If my rootstock survives and I am still up to it I may bother you for scions in Spring/Summer. When is a good time to graft persimmons?

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Seed can grow the first year and graft the following year. Seedling tree will respond with a dose of fertilizer, graft with some decent variety and you can have a fruit in the third year or four. Grafting should be done May. Seedlings produces a strong taproot, that’s what you need.

• marty
    4 years ago

I want the guard dog! Very cute!

4 years ago

Thanks Bob. You are really tempting me to start with seeds. OK, I will try to follow your steps and see where it takes me. I will send you a message with my address.

4 years ago

Cannot still edit my message: Bob it looks like I cannot message you. Can you message me?

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Bob you always amaze me with your collection beautiful and interesting . Looks like your going to have a fantastic winter harvest !!!!! Love your handsome guard dog watching over your Shiranui fruit, your pup has great taste .

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Bob, your persimmon trees are amazing! Do you have any tips to share with me? I have a saijo persimmon in container and it such a slow grower. I think it is from one green world and I an not sure which rootstock they use.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Incredible Bob! I wish I could get an in-person tour!