Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Excellent resource for hard-to-find roses

Just wanted to say thanks to Vap and others for pointing me to Freedom Gardens...wow, what an amazing resource! Peter was a delight to work with, so incredibly patient with me, and I’m super-excited about my new roses.

http://www.combinedroselist.com/freedom-gardens.html

I’m just delighted to find some of these “disappearing” varieties, and can’t wait to get my roses in a few weeks. :-)


Comments (38)

  • 7 years ago

    What did you order perma ? I looked at the list and it looks intriguing!!!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 7 years ago

    It started with Ash Wednesday and Butterscotch CL...I’d been wanting these two for so long. I then added several more...lol!

    I’ll look up the others. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Great that they are offering so many unique varieties. Though I had to chuckle that Dr Huey was listed as ‘hard to find’.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 7 years ago

    This reminds me I am going to ask about rokoko !! Fingers crossed! I have seen pics of butterscotch, and Ash Wednesday. So beautiful!!


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 7 years ago

    I also ordered Sebastian Kneipp, Elisa Boelle, Anne Harkness, and Jayne Austin. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you so much for this link. I can't believe how inexpensive the shipping is to the West Coast! 3 Roses for $20! One rose I have been searching for a long time is Indigo, I'm so thrilled, the other 2 are Elina & Souvenir de la Reine de Angleterre. Thanks again.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked smithdale1z8pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Folks, he has over 1200 varieties. Those listed are just what he has at the moment; the list changes all the time so I've been urging folks just to call and ask. He custom roots and also buds I believe. I think his Dr. Huey is virus-free which IS hard to find and especially useful to those who custom bud. Perma, you will like JayneA. I have a rooted cutting so we can compare notes. My roses from him have well developed roots. The only problem I see is some may not want to overwinter their pots and they are only delivered in the fall. I just repotted mine and let them go dormant in a cool spot in my house. Thanks for the post Perma. I've brought him up ad nauseum, so maybe folks will catch on if we keep doing so. It's a small operation so I really like to support him (along with all the others!).

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    No spring shipping?

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • 7 years ago

    I second your post. Peter is wonderful to work with. He is rooting Commandant Beaurepaire for me. I keep adding to my order too. Every time I come across a hard to find rose, I reach out to him. He is very timely with email responses.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
  • 7 years ago

    Spring shipping is not available. The only available time in the summer is if you actually visit the gardens for the open house. I had no problem overwintering mind. However, it was probably too late to actually put them in the ground. I didn't try anyway.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    the gardens are fantastic AR

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Vap! (My Butterscotch CL is coming from Peter!)

    I’ve been looking at Jayne for a while now, and am really excited about her.

    Very happy to have found Elisa Boelle...found some old research I’d done on HPs for FL and she was on the list, so wooohooo.

    I love supporting good people doing important work in roses, and keeping our smaller nurseries going. And the fact that I get beautiful roses out of it, is the icing on the cake! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, I forgot to add that he has many Kordes, too. I’m getting the Madame Anisette I’ve wanted forever!

    Whatever you’re looking for, just call or email and he’ll check on it for you. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    I'm getting "Lady Moss" and "Queen of Denmark" from Peter and this will be the right Queen for sure this time. So far I got a "Maiden's Blush" and a second Queen of Sweden" so I am ready for the real thing on the third try. I'm also getting Lilacs.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Oooh, Sheila, I’m so excited for you! I saw the lilacs, but alas, they won’t grow here. I can’t wait to see them added to your garden! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    I too am looking forward to getting my roses from him. Augusta Louis comes on her own root next fall. I have two more coming this year, Alice Hamilton and Souv. Mckinley

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Awesome! Those are gorgeous selections, mustbnuts!

    I’m so glad he’s doing custom orders, and spoke to him about a few of those myself. Lol—I’m going to need to buy a few houses around me to make room for all of these. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Sounds like a lovely resource! I can’t get the website to load to check it out; any ideas why?

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • 7 years ago

    Hmmm...not sure, Diilybean; just tried it and it worked for me. Maybe it was temporary? :-)

  • 7 years ago

    So sad , he said he used to grow rokoko but didn’t anymore . Oh well !! I enjoyed it when I had it. I’m so glad he is in business !! Thanks for sharing his info and I’m happy so many of us are supporting him !!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks for the post, Perma, and the reimnders Vap! I didn’t plan on ordering any but there were several I’ve wanted and, well, you know what happens next. When confirming my order this afternoon, he said he has received several calls the past couple of days and so I‘m also happy we can support him. I ordered Elisa Boelle, Indigo, and Mayor of Casterbridge. Country Boy was sold out and so maybe next fall.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Dave5bWY
  • 7 years ago

    As I mentioned on another post he has MANY of the older Austins.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Perma, I just got back from our weekend Descano Gardens walk. They have a 5 foot tall Jayne Austin that I never noticed before. After determining it has the most exquisite fragrance, I rummaged around under the bush and found the tag!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Stephanie! That’s what I’ve heard about her, so I’m really looking forward to it. She’ll go over on the fence between my chicken coop and my neighbors property, so I’m hoping Jayne will be all they smell. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

    Oh, I forgot to add that he has many Kordes, too.


    It’s not Kordi?

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • 7 years ago

    Stephanie, that's fantastic news! I just potted up my Jayne cuttings which rooted really quickly. I have found that that often means a vigorous rose, or at least I hope so in this case. I'm also putting mine on a new metal fence I installed this summer, placing it next to Quicksilver. I can't wait although they are still babies. : ))

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I am excited to be able to get the roses on their own root. He has several that Palatine carries on multiflora rootstock, but multiflora rootstock does not do well with my type of soil. We also have nematodes in our soil as well. So own root is my preferred way to go, especially those roses I had on the Dr. reverted back to rootstock. I forgot that he also has Schon Ingeborg as well and I am excited to be getting that rose next year. That means I have a whole year to figure out where to put it!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Yesterday was cloudy/misty and the fall flush was just starting at Descano. The humidity helped me smell the fragrance. For some reason, and maybe it is the usually dry weather here, I don’t get much fragrance from a rose until I bring it inside or it could be, in part, just my nose. I took advantage of being able to really smell them yesterday. I got a scent from their Jude the Obsure for the first time! I think Jayne Austin was an even more exotic fragrance, while being in the same fragrance category as JtO.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    Vap, Jayne & Quicksilver should be gorgeous together! I can’t wait to see that!

    I’m really excited about my new babies, all arriving over the new few weeks. I’m thinking that for my area, this fall planting should work much better than spring planting. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    So have you all read the rose descriptions? Some had me laughing out loud they are so funny...I love their sense of humor.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked pippacovalent
  • 7 years ago

    They are funny. And they change year-to-year! Not all but some.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    My favorite was ‘Fisherman’s Friend’—best Rose ever named after a coughdrop! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    My favourite has always been KEAN (1820?) purple pink gallica, recommended to all who dislike complicated OGR names, but I might be adding LADY SALISBURY (Austin 2012) scarce pink, popular with people named Lady Salisbury. OR I might add, at least who favour Salisbury steak! : )) More seriously, does anyone grow LadyS? I have NEVER heard of this Austin and it's not even that old!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Well, as luck would have it, I may be driving right by Freedom Gardens going to and from Maine, so what's a girl to do? A friend has expressed a desire for a lilac and I might as well get a rose I've wanted for a while: Greetings. Lady Salisbury will get a serious once-over while there as well as some of these others, but I only have a chosen space for Greetings near Christian J in my new front bed. If it's happy, I may get a couple more to form a drift. I also put in a future order for the climber Paul Jerabek, though I've no place for him at the moment. At least I won't receive him until Fall 2020. For those interested, he does have Sonia Rykiel.

    Any recommendations from his lilac holdings, even those sold-out? I had thought of Blitz, but fear it's too big for my friend's space.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Kosmos, Nadezhda, or Frank's Fancy would be lilac winners, vapor.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Marlorena!, but no scent? What kind of Austin is this!??? ;D Just joking. I'm so appreciative of you commenting. For how long have you had yours? It seems to have that delicate colouration that gives me the vapors! : )) I haven't spoken to Peter about it yet, but should do so soon I think.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Vaporvac… I had it 4 years.... I recently removed it as I'm downsizing somewhat... its lack of scent was the decider there... so I found it difficult to love... but really that was its only fault... the blooms can be a bit muddled at times, but a very charming rose. These days I do want some scent...

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked User