GET IDEAS
skell311

White cabinets different?

skell311
last year

I can't tell if it is lighting or if the lower cabinets and hood cover are whiter than the uppers. The kitchen place had many shades of white options....wondering if these got mixed. Any thoughts?

• Jody
    last year

On my screen, the white on the hood matches the white on the cabinets below. So I think its just lighting.

Can the walls and trim be painted a different white color from Cabinet

You'll want to be careful where you start and stop one white and begin the other so it isn't too noticeable, but I don't see why you can't do it. The worst that can happen is that you have to repaint, and I've done that several times.

To paint or not to paint our kitchen cabinets?

Many comments to add pendant lighting over the island. If your cans are in the right place consider DIY instant pendant lighting. I have placed these over my kitchen island and over the master bathroom vanity. Installing is as simple as screwing In a light bulb....literally! The cords are adjustable to get the right hang. Google "instant pendant lighting" or can converters. I don't have a photo of my kitchen island lighting so have posted the bathroom lights...many different style available. The advice to get under cabinet lighting (assuming you don't already have it) is essential....added it to my dark little kitchen and was amazed at the difference it made.....have seen many new built high end homes that don't have under counter lighting!

white white kitchen cabinets or off white cabinets?

@theresaweaver It really depends on what you like. You should do a few tour of homes and see what you like before you decide. I like it all but I really prefer a warmer white -- still crisp but not too cool of a white. If you really want the white white maybe your builder will give you what you want and charge you a little more. IMO the white of the trim and cabinets shouldn't be that far away -- white with a yellowish white might clash too much. I'm going to look for pictures and if I come up with something I will be back.

what is the difference between soft white and white?

Bright white is usually cool, and soft white may be warm. Can you give us more info, or preferably a link? I Googled your product and a lot of different items came up.
  • eam44
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yeah, they look different to me. Follow cali’s advice, and when you confirm that you are right, ask your cabinet people about it. Taking some drawers with you that illustrate the problem is a good idea.

JAN MOYER
    last year

It's the lighting . Change the bulbs in the recessed. Your cabinetry is matched.

• megs1030
    last year

On my monitor, they look very different.

JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

The chances of being shipped two different whites is NEAR ZERO. Less, actually . Hold a drawer from the lowers up to the hood bottom, and snap ANOTHER photo. : ) Do two, one with recessed on, and one with them off.

• live_wire_oak
    last year

Lighting.

• lucky998877
    last year

I think that the bottom of the hood looks different/brighter white, it would bother me.

• megs1030
    last year

Yes, exactly what @lucky998877 said.

• catbuilder
    last year

In the first photo, the side of the hood extension looks exactly like the side of the cabinet, leading me to believe they are the same. The doors also appear to be glazed, so I wonder if a lack of glaze on the hood extension is contributing to the different look. The bottom cabinets look the same as the uppers, just the lighting makes them appear different.

• carol aaron
    last year

Looks really different . The top cabinets look like a grayish White. The bottom looks whiter. I would remove a drawer from the bottom and hold it up to the top cabinets to make sure. Mistakes do happen all the time. Nothing is impossible

last year

It is unlikely the manufacturer would offer two colors that are only a shade apart. It is possible an error has occurred but it is more likely the color variances are caused by the light hitting at different angles and from reflections and shadows. A horizontal suface will look different than a vertical surface. Simply remove two doors that appear to be different and take them outside. Lay the samples flat, side by side and view them in full sunlight. Any difference will be obvious.

• Molly Fien
    last year

My son and his wife picked these same cupboards in a flat white. It looks like they are 2 different colors, but it is the lighting in the kitchen that makes it look that way. I didnt say anything to them!

• plkowalski
    last year

I am a colorist and just painted a kitchen white. Those are definitely different shades of white. I would not live with that.

• mdln
    last year

From an old thread, Shiloh had at least 3 whites.

• Mitchell Noland
    last year

I think i see a graphite colored glaze on the cabinet doors. If the glaze is not applied to all of the parts, trims, hood, etc, they are going to look different.

• cedy paul
    last year

Just the light

• imperialbrowns
    last year

i would not accept this. I just had cabinets put in same lighting you have and there is no difference in
    color of any of the cabinets. Don't accept this. if they feel it is the lighting which I dont, let THEM prove that to you. i had msny problems with my cabinets. They even screwed up the standard 18 inch height between counter and upper cabinets and I was unable to get my appliances on the counter. I made them take down the upper cabinets and adjust from 16 inch to 18 inch.I fought tooth and nail to get them right.!! tou should too!

• millworkman
    last year

That absolutely has to be two different whites. The hood and the cabinets next to it seal it for me. I may be able to buy uppers versus lowers, but definitely not the hood and the surrounding cabinets.

Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Likely different. It could be laminate mixed in with paint grade.

One major mfg uses laminate sides and flat fill panels as a standard. A little shocking.

• skell311
    last year

Depressing! We will go back to the kitchen place. I thought we were nearing completion. Wah! Thank you everyone. Will let you know end result.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

And while you're there, change out the knobs on the lowers for pulls.

• Mitchell Noland
    last year

I'm with Jeffry on his point as well... Good luck with the wholesaler. I've known a few painters over the years who were skilled enough to come in and fix things like that with paint finishes.

last year

First change all the bulbs to LEDs in 4000K all of themn need to be the same then see if the colors are still off. I sure as heck would not get a painter to touch these until you get the lighting fixed and see then you get the cabinet shop involved to replace.

• skell311
    last year

@Patricia these are 4000 LEDs.

• skell311
    last year

Hi all. Builder insists cabinets are all the same color and the lighting affected the views

• J S
    last year

Photoshop says same color.

• J S
    last year

Photoshop says same color.

• tiggerlgh
    last year

Its lighting. The cabinet to the left matches both the bottom and top cabinets. If anything looks different its the hood.

• Mitchell Noland
    last year

Now that we can see the window, that explains the difference in color... However, I'm not convinced that hood was properly finished.

• skell311
    last year

I agree about the hood but I don't have a way of "proving" it

• Marion Deleon
    last year

Brightness!

Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

heres a store display this am of a national brand... painted frame next to laminate panel... more obvious with a couple years of paint fade.

Creative Design Cabinetry
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have had customers think I used two different shades of white on the same job when I didn't. Lighting.

I also have customers use two shades very similar in the same room. So close that I really cannot tell the difference. We have to make sure we label everything well and usually spray those close shades on different days so we don't mix up.

That all said, part of your hood definitely looks to have a different shade of white in the pic. Was the hood assembled on site from parts?

• Mitchell Noland
    last year

I don't know if the hood is one piece or two pieces. If it's one piece, it was finished as such and there is no way it could be a different color. If it is two pieces, try and retrieve the factory sticker from the lower part of the hood, and one from the other cabinets, and compare the finish codes. The only other true way to compare the two, is to them in the exact same lighting...

• live_wire_oak
    last year

It is impossible to order two different colors from a manufacturer without going to a lot of trouble to do so. You have to design in Catalog A and Catalog B. This is done frequently when doing the island as a separate color. The most often done mistake when doing that is to end up with the island color component as a perimeter component, because someone didn’t double check the catalog when selecting.

It is extremely rare for a manufacturer to mix colors on an order. Each piece has a bar code, and the progress through the plant is recorded. Any mixups would show up with the wrong bar code being scanned. Each order is all sprayed at once. A hood is always done as a component of the main order. All of your better quality manufacturers use just in time production for each order, with no stock components.

There are some crown or filler pieces that are stocked by some budget manufacturers, and then pulled to include in the order at the end of the assembly line. Using a budget line to construct the hood out of a mix of stock and just created components would be the only opportunity for there to be a mix of new and aged shades. But the components that would be aged are fillers, crown, and some panel goods.

• chispa
    last year

Might want to think about adding some led lights above the cabinets to fill in the corner shadows between the top of cabinets and the ceiling.

How high are the ceilings? Was there a reason you didn't go to the ceiling with the cabinets?

• skell311
    last year

@chispa. we have 9' ceilings

• Lindsey_CA
    last year

Even though you have 4000K lights (which are supposed to be close to daylight in color) and there is true daylight coming in through the window in the kitchen, the two different light sources are striking the cabinets from different angles. What you could do is this: Wait until it's dark - no natural light at all. And make sure the overhead lights are turned off. Then, use a horizontal light source aimed at the cabinets about mid-level. Take some photos. There won't be any light coming from any other source or any other angle, so the one light source hitting the cabinets "head on" should then show if there are any differences.

• maavernon
    last year

It definitely looks brighter white to me. I had a similar issue with my cabinets. First of all not every cabinet box was finished the same color. My glazed cabinet doors were definitely a different color than the boxes. The majority of my hood did not have glaze and it was bright white in comparison to the doors or trim pieces. I was extremely unhappy with the result of several items looking bright white while the rest of it off white and I sent back all of my white cabinets. My suggestion is to open your cabinet doors and see if the cabinet frame/box is the same color as the doors or that part of your hood. Are your doors glazed? If so it is likely they are a different color then the hood area. Is there any trim you can add to the face of the hood to cover the bright white? I would not and have not settled for that look!
    As I was posting this comment I realized you say the lower cabinets are brighter as well, definitely check the top and bottom against each other. Then figure out a solution with your KD

• live_wire_oak
    last year

The doors are removable you know. You remove one and place it next to one, in the same light. And you get in a halogen work light to even out the effects of all of the different color toned lights from all the different directions. This isn’t building the Petronas Towers level difficult.

• carol aaron
    last year

Totally agree with Maavernon . Whether it's the lighting or the glazing or mismatched cabinets if this is the way that you will see it everyday you may want to consider having them changed out. You will never be happy unless it looks right to you no matter what the problem is.

• acm
    last year
    last modified: last year

Look at the piece of wall to the left of the cabinets in the last photo you posted -- it also looks whiter at the bottom and yellower at the top, even though it's a single surface that was presumably painted all at once. Pretty good evidence that it's the lighting and/or reflection of nearby things.

Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

@skell311 Any luck?

• skell311
    last year

it was determined this is all a play of light. Under cabinet lighting and pendants need to be installed. Looking in daylight from different angles it appears the cabinets are all the same color. Thank you everyone!

• mtokar123

I have the same problem with my hood. The top part is angled but the bottom is flat. The angled piece looks lighter when the lights are on. The cabinet guy is coming tomorrow try to tweak the angled piece to make it less obvious but the colors will be different when the lights are not on so I am not sure what to do.

JAN MOYER

What you do is leave it ALONE. All whites change with light and shadow.

• mtokar123

Thanks, So frustrating but I think that is what I will do. The tweaking of the paint did not work. He suggested painting the entire hood a contrasting color.