Software
Houzz Logo Print
chelslynnvt

Chels Bedroom

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Need help with Bedroom layout and where to hang pictures. Any advice is appreciated!

You might get a better idea of the layout if you search the original design dilemma post, "living room isn't flowing"

Comments (107)

  • 13 years ago
    East coast Canada here. Grey skies.. Is it bad to say I'm relieved? Humidity has been disgusting here. Haven't experienced anything like it since we lived in Ottawa.

    Could well do the hutch and the mirror with diamond pattern in the office as baby jean suggested. At any rate, must take leave and get MY sewing project done ;). Cheers, everyone
  • 13 years ago
    Glad to be of help, Maguire:-) I know that chalk paint is expensive, but it is soo easy to use and the result is wonderful.
    There is an antique shop here in Northern New Jersey( Sweet Pea) that has the most wonderful pieces done up in the paint, have a look for some inspiration.The link here is for a gray and white dresser that I have been coveting,but it wouldn't fit anywhere in my house. bummer.There are also DIY instructions for homemade( cheap) chalk paint, or, as you mentioned, the Martha Stewart line.I didn't know about it..Many options!
    http://www.sweetpeasantiques.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_2185-600x800.jpg
    Chelsea thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    How funny.......before Abby was born in December that year, we had a stocking up that just said BABY on it. After she was born, it worked to just rearrange those letters.
  • 13 years ago
    updates - I raised the curtain rod. The sheers look okay when they are pulled together, but i'm not sure if I raised them too high.

    I took the rings off the mirror so that I can hang it either direction.
  • 13 years ago
    Hahahaha, Maguire, that is too funny....no, I don’t work at all anymore, just get to have fun And I have fun dragging my husband up to Sweet Pea..he’s game as long as I invite him for lunch..
    My decorating style is more Betsy Speert, and I love love love Bunny Williams.Check Betsy’ site for some chalk painted pieces.
    Chelsey..I think that the big dark mirror over the dresser takes away from the bed being the focal point..you need something lighter and more graceful there? I like the sheers..
    Chelsea thanked User
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with papoodles. The bed is the focal point and anything higher than it will take away.

    I would suggest these 2 hexagon mirrors above the dresser, with an arched configuration (of some sort) over the bed. Large mirror on angled wall so that dresser is actually reflecting the bed when ricocheted.

    http://st.houzz.com/simgs/3872cd4c01f3276e_7-9845/home-design.jpg
    Chelsea thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Love the pink in this room. About the sheers, they do look better closed. I would get a plain roller shade for under them for more light control. Maybe they will look better open, if you move the knobs up and closer to the window and drape the curtains so that they are almost closed at the top.

    One other thing. I love the headboard and would not hide it with propped up pillows. Stack the two flat or one flat and the other at an angle.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hey everybody! I'm here, I was just working all morning. Raised drapes in bedroom, lowered dr chandelier, painted bookcases white and added poly-urethane. Put lighter desk back together and put into office. laundry....tried pictures to left of window.

    -Over bed, at this point I prefer nothing there
    -like idea of frenching up buffet
    - I have moved the buffet more than any piece of furniture in my life! ha ha its okay
    -Tv does fit in buffet, but something still seems odd about this piece. Not sure if its color....(won't fit in dr and i like bookcases in lr)
    -Dresser is just for clothes storage, not for make-up
    -I sleep on the side furthest from the window so I like the alarm clock on that side too.
    -if I put hutch and the mirror with diamond pattern in the office, I would still have book cases to put those bookcases somewhere.
    -trolauemicol - that bedroom you posted is in my ideabook:)
    -Like the monogram pillow idea
    -I would like to do 2 rows in bed room. sheers and drapes, but not sure on color/print of drapes.

    Didn't understan "There is just something....pleasing......about using those smaller mirrors with that dresser on that wall. Placing that larger one on a different wall would be another touch in the room with the colors and the mirrors. So feminine!?"
  • 13 years ago
    Options for side table:
    Don't know if you can tell because I didn't close the blinds, but I put the sheers together at the top. Do you still think I should raise tiebacks?
  • 13 years ago
    mirror options for next to chair
  • 13 years ago
    octagon side table tried with chair and octagon mirrors over dresser. Smaller table tried with Van G.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Yes I removed the hem from the sheers so they do touch ground (or right above ground)

    Is otto = octagon?

    Haha regarding last coment.
  • 13 years ago
    what color for the drapes in my room? What about a light gray with a hint of blue....like a light slate blue the color of my chair?
  • 13 years ago
    Holy cow! Come do my place next please. Lol. I have many ideas just not enough drive to do what you have accomplished!

    I'd leave the sheers to hang straight with a room darkening roller shade behind. If you want to add some fabric to the window treatment consider stationary drapes. Essentially they are look at treatments. They don't function for any other purpose than to look pretty :)

    I like the van g painting there but it needs to be a bit higher. Maybe somewhere so that the middle of the pic top to bottom is at same spot as top of grey chair. Could still leave tall white mirror leaning against wall by chair I think same wall as window

    Really like the pics stacked one over other on wall to left of window. Agree with you you don't need a thing over the bed, really like the red shade on that lamp base. I like the two smaller mirrors arranged so they are staggered height but centred over dresser. Really think what's throwing that wall is the fact the dresser is cream and wood of headboard is bright white!

    Like the octagon table next to the chair

    This room seems to be easier to put together. I hope you are getting help moving that hutch... It's done it's fair share of traveling in last month :p. can I ask? Is it a family piece or just a great find?
  • 13 years ago
    Check bed bath and beyond, you can get a dust ruffle to finish off the look of your bed and they sometimes have pretty decent drapes at a fair price point.

    Other option is Van Gogh painting back over dresser, but not resting on top of it, then stager the octagon mirrors next to grey chair?
  • 13 years ago
    @abbyjean. My iPad keeps correcting your name to baby jean. Sorry about that!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Side table by bed: I like the dropleaf one there. (The small you had there got lost. )

    Pink lamp: can you put the pink lamp on the right side stand?.It is dominating the mirrors. Then put white lamp on dresser. No lamp next to chair.

    Canvas floral art over chair and table (not the one you have there---the other one).

    Pictures to left of drapes. I would remove them. it is just getting to be to many pictures.

    Mirrors over dresser: just put them side by side, not one at an angle from the other.

    Drapes: for phase 1, pin them in the center at top and leave them be.

    Large mirror: hang on angled wall.

    Shams: I would do the pink only. Bedding today is all about simplicity. Also, gray shams are too large for the bed. If you do decide to use them, you can tuck them under and pin them.

    Youv;e been working hard!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Just a thought....I know you don't want anything above your bed and I know you are one a budget, but .......I thought you could make the bed/dresser entire wall a focal point by doing something cohesive. First would go over dresser. Second would go over bed.

    Something to think about.

    http://www.kirklands.com/product/Wall-Decor/Mirrors/Acrylic-Blooms-Mirror-Set-of-3/pc/2283/c/0/sc/2306/167470.uts

    http://www.kirklands.com/product/Wall-Decor/Mirrors/Concave-Circles-Wall-Mirror-31-in/pc/2283/c/0/sc/2306/168155.uts
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    chels, that was my statement that confused you....sorry! I think I confuse white frames with nothing in them with mirrors and then some with pics, too.....so I got my white frames confused. We shall move on and never mind my senior moment and frames. I was seeing white frames in your room with your white headboard and thought that was a feminine look.
    BUT this is what I see that I like.........in your busy world.....I like the two small silver ones with the dresser....the silver and your gray headboard are a great match. I love that tall white mirror on the slanted wall........nice fit there and can be used, too. I like the white table by the bed that WAS by the chair with the two white pics over it. NOTHING over your bed and those pics totally work on that wall with the white table there. MAYBE the white lamp by the bed and the red by the chair? White sheers in the bedroom are the best!
  • 13 years ago
    What a great idea to take the hem out of the sheers to make the length work. That is what we LOVE about you!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Since i know your tv works in that buffet/hutch, I think it really can stay right where it is at the foot of your bed. It goes with the....feel.....you have started in that room. I may need to give up on having the gridwork piece in there as I cannot see where it would go.....and the same with that painting. Shucks.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The Kirkland's mirrors I posted....was really just an idea down the road of how you could bring the dresser and headboard areas together, yet still have the headboard as the focal point. They wouldn't necessarily have to be mirrors.

    I don't think I explained my intentions very well. Sorry about that.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Serious question, please be honest:

    Did bedroom look better before? I know I was trying to make the buffet work, but I do t want to use it if it is better to not have it in the room. I am no a decorator, but very OCD and something just seems off. The octagon table feels to big for the space. There seems to be clutter with the buffet, dresser, and chair. The drop leaf table corner feels very tight. I know everyone is working with what I have, but if a piece doesn't work, it just doesn't. You won't hurt my feelings I just want your honest professional opinion about the layout, what works and what doesn't.

    These are the 2 pices that must stay in the room

    Bed- off centered or centered?
    Dresser- end of bed or beside table?
  • 13 years ago
    Original
  • 13 years ago
    Now
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I personally like the three big pieces in your room, right where they are. I worried about the octo table taking up too much floor space with the chair and did like that drop one there......gave the chair a table and no floor space gone. Maybe nothing in that wall corner and just use the dresser as an end table, which I really like right by your closet, which is where I feel a dresser belongs. I like how the piece at the end of your bed balances your headboard and it is also a functional piece for you. I also like that big mirror behind the door. Maybe not use any mirrors over the dresser since they would only be for looks and enough mirros in the room. There was something about your picture over that dresser that caught my eye. I know the frame is dark, but I am ok with the colors in it working with your room and it was a splash of color there. The lamp worked with it, too. I love the two pics on the wall to the left of the window and I love the simplicity of sheers there.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just looking at your pics again and wondering how that flower pic would work with the dresser......it is a nice one, too. It is the one with the dresser and the tv, but if it was lower with the dresser and a lamp right there.......or maybe that flower one would work by the chair over the drop leaf table????
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Chels.....I think it looks good either way. If you like things centered, put the bed back in the center.

    The idea of moving the bed towards the window was to give you more room. I you wont' use the chair anyway, you feel it is off-balance, then by all means, move things back how they were.

    Sometimes it is hard to get a clear picture of the room from photos.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    In decorating terms what is the best place for a bed?

    I always say I like feng shui, but don't really know much about the term. I just,like balance and know it is supposed to have a calming effect and help you sleep better and that's what I want.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would put your bed back in the center. I think for looks, the best place is in the center. Some people like symmetry and I am sensing you do.

    If you don't put it back in the center, you will forever walk in that room and feel unbalanced. There is absolutely nothing wrong with thinking that way!
    Chelsea thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 13 years ago
    I think your room is too small for the buffet to be in there. Before we had a house we lived in a good sized apartment in the city which actually reads as small bedrooms. At the end of a busy day where you are surrounded by noise and constant movement, isn't it nice to go home and be still in an uncluttered space. Bedroom your size = bed, bedside table, dresser, full length mirror to check out your outfit, chair to put your shoes on.

    I know nothing about fend shui.
  • 13 years ago
    Check this out chels. No need to be moving furniture around ;)

    http://www.urbanbarn.com/Room-Planner

    It might help if you laid out the dimensions of the room on graph paper so your hours 'helpers' can make better suggestions. When I designed my kitchen I laid everything out on graph paper. It allowed me to see how much space I had around the island to walk. I went as far as drawing to scale blocks roughly the size of my dining room furniture to see how they would fit if I put an island in. Like you , I need to see how things will look in place. Really think it might help people help you better if we get a better appreciation of the sizes of your furniture and the size of the room
  • 13 years ago
    Stupid auto correct hours is HOUZZ
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone!!!! You all said what I was thinking.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    As a third choice, you could leave your bed near the window (as it is), but move the dresser back to original spot (across from bed).

    Then you could place 2 equal sidestands by the bed.

    I think what is really bothering you is that large dresser on one side and the small sidestand on the other side. That is understandable.

    Then, you could place the chair on the same wall as the bed (but in corner by the door to closet).

    Could you then place buffet on wall to the left of closet?
  • 13 years ago
    Problem with centering bed on wall you currently have it on is you then have no room for the dresser which forces you to put it on the wall opposite bed, but judging by the pictures that would mean the dresser would be over to the left and not lined up with the bed when you were laying in bed. Would that bother you?

    You could leave bed over to the side where you have it now with night table to right of bed. Dresser opposite be on facing wall. Move long rectangular mirror and chair over by closet. Unless I'm totally missing where closet and entry are, in which case -- sorry.
  • 13 years ago
    papoodles- love the link to the dresser you have been coveting - do you know what color the used?
  • 13 years ago
    Dresser
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    One more opinion to throw you off......since you do not NEED both sides of the bed open for use, I feel like it makes more sense off centered and frees up the floor by your closet.....no need for the floor space in front of the window. You have room to move there to make your bed and then the item at the foot of your bed is still away from the door, too. Again, I like the dresser near the closet and wonder if it could switch places with the chair......would that make you feel better?
  • 13 years ago
    Chelsey.I think that it is "Paris Gray" I'll call them tomorrow for you:-)
  • 13 years ago
    The tv did look fine on the dresser at the foot of your bed. The octo table could be a night stand as it is out of the way then and we know the gray chair looks nice with it. Does the buffet fit by the closet?
  • 13 years ago
    Maguire..I am, because I love the pieces that my sister had painted-they are exceptionally lovely, so much so, that I will be painingt my bedroom nightstands soon.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh you might be right, Maguire..it could be Paloma..I was just guessing off the top of my head.I will confirm.
  • 13 years ago
    I like it the way it is in the most recent photos! I think you are done! :D
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Looks nice! Maybe the magnolia art above the chair and table to bring more color to the space.
  • 13 years ago
    If you don't center the bed have you tried the chair and lamp table where you had the dresser when it was next to the bed? Will the dresser or tall cabinet work where you had the chair?
  • 13 years ago
    Have you tried the bed on the window wall?
  • 12 years ago
    What a fun transformation this was to watch. (Just found it.) Hope all is well Chels. Such a cute room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Emily, you are right. Chels did a great job transforming the room. I love your enthusiasm, Chels!
  • 12 years ago
    I'm re-visiting for updates and it looks great! Love the tiebacks with the sheers : )