nulesm

Amy greenhouse tips

nulesm
October 2, 2019
last modified: October 2, 2019

Hello Amy I thought I would post this thread knowing you had a few questions on the how's of growing in a greenhouse so here we go point form my experiences.
Heating a 8x12 GH three 1500W heaters must be ready to go on -25C temps or lower . Your pool cover should really help $$$$$.
Backup heat in case of power failure . I have a gas generator in case of failures. I also have propane and kerosene not to sure if these two with there fumes would be harmful to plants though .
Wifi thermometer or weather station with temperature reading of GH . I keep my monitor inside bedroom because you know 9/10 problems happen during nights or when your not at home lol . Very very important check your monitor regularly especially during intense cold snaps just a small power surge might trip your digital thermostat heater its happpened to me and a friend . If running two heaters all the time run one that does not have a thermostat it shouldn't trip .
Make sure not to rest your trees on the GH walls , during -25C or colder nights any foliage touching the walls might get frost bite .
Watering must be thorough and using a hose accomplishes this task . I use an expandable light weight hose hooked up to a faucet with an adapter. Also water with mild water not cold .
Humidity issues should ease up a bit once the heaters are on full time until then water with care . The heaters will dry out the air in your GH a bit . On mild sunny days open up those GH doors for a minute or two to change the air .
Plants off the floor in the greenhouse. The floor can get very cold . My trees are on shelves
Eyes wide open all the time for pests . Pests usually start to appear in numerous #'s right after Christmas. Every year it's a different pest . Overcrowding makes dealing with pests very difficult trust me I know . Watch for tightly curled leafs on your trees they are usually homes for bugs . Just don't kill spiders lol they are good . Spray tree's before bringing in fall.
Lighting lots of led's as many as possible makes work , watering , searching for pests etc at night easier and not to be forgothen the trees will like it to . Also helps makes reading a good book easier.
Fan circulation is good .
Place smaller plants south side of GH to let that valuable winter light in .
Fertilizing I don't start until growth and bloom starts late February early March and even then lightly .
Clean GH sweeping up dead leaves from floor and removing dead leafs that have landed on the potting mix . Clean GH thoroughly in spring after plants are out and again before bring plants in for the fall .
Amy you have such a lovely setup . I wish you great success this winter . I know you already know most of this stuff I've seen the pics of your GH . If I can think of anything else I will write .
Brian

• nulesm

Bob the lights I use are cheap Led's also not the grow lights . Now the fixtures are $25. 00 for a pair with delivery.

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Brian, my trees are doing very very well in my new greenhouse. Even my clementine tree that refused to do anything for two years pushes new growths. I took a couple of pictures to share with you guys but houzz refuses to collaborate. I tried to post many times yesterday and again this morning but my posts keep disappearing. Oh I hear you about leaving plants outside. It’s heartbreaking right? Which one do you need to leave behind? I just saw a beautiful dwarf cavendish banana plant on sale for 30$ but I have to pass on that. It will get huge and I will probably regret my purchase.

Brian, I have two different outdoor electric outlets and plug my two heaters on each one of them. Is it ok to plug two heaters on the same outlets? I am scared to overload it!

Here is what I plan to buy for my backup in case of power failure

https://www.costco.ca/Dyna-Glo-18K-BTU-Cabinet-Heater.product.100458111.html

Brian, do you put your generator directly in your greenhouse? I don’t have a garage so if I buy one I don’t know where I can safely put it.

Oh I also want to put a couple of water jug to have some kind of passive heat. Do you think that it can help?

Bob, in my greenhouse, we have install this set of light

Do you think that I can replace a couple of bulb with what you have suggested?

Modern, eclectic girl in a Victorian home - Living room tips needed

I have the best mom. :) If two southern women weren't enough, my husband has decided that he wants to be part of this decision making (I admit, it really never occurred to me, due to his usual lack of interest in home decor). And, I am probably the most eclectic of the bunch. Updates on the transformation of this overly safe living room... - Couch: We've decided to move our velvet, dark purple couch into the room. It's got slightly more formal lines, and I can have more fun with that fabric and color. - Colors: With that said, I still love orange and red, so I'm leaning towards using cool tones for most of the larger pieces and vivid orange and red for accents. - Chairs: The stunning chair that Darzy displayed earlier in peacock blue is now an inspiration for recovering the smaller of the two chairs in the room, and we may even paint the wood (black or antiqued gold). I can't decide on pale green or the peacock blue, though, with the addition of the deep purple couch. Pretty sure that the bigger chair will get a slipcover before this is all over. - Rug: Husband wants an oriental (apparently, he hates shag), and I think the washed out orangey red ones are lovely. So, I think that's how we're headed for that. - Art shelf: A huge win, thank you again, chemayne! My husband is making them for us this week. :) - Frames and side tables: We're looking for ornate, Victorian lines for both frames and side tables, and then we'll either paint them black or orange/red depending on how big they are or where they're placed. - Taxidermy: The daughter now wants in on the project. So, we're going to be making a paper mache unicorn head, painting it black, and hanging it on the side of the big window. - Pillows: Lydia, you've been a huge help, thank you again! I ordered a pillow of a favorite video game, and we're experimenting with a bunch of different ideas. Thanks again, all, and I'll be sure to post pictures as things take shape.

Houzz Live Chat: Seasonal Transition Tips

A9) Storage is key for liking your decorations from year to year. If you don’t take care of them and just throw them in storage every year, they don’t wear as well. Have enough plastic bins for everything to store nicely and make sure you take the time to wrap and put everything back in a neat and orderly fashion. The extra hour or so will really be appreciated the following year when you pull everything back out.

Design/Build firm recommendations

Try the FIND LOCAL PROS search function here on Houzz and see if there are any design/build firms in your region. That will give you a start to begin your research on the individual firms. Another good option where you'll likely find excellent design/build firms is the professional search tool from NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry): http://www.nari.org/homeowners/findapro/ Good luck!

Your Best Organizing Tips - Tell us!

Actually Organized, NY & Miami Organization: what does that mean. simple definition: Everything has a place and a place for everything.....You are organized when you can find what you want when you want it. Many clients complain of the "Clutter". Clutter is actually decisions not made. You walk in your home you have an item in your hand you are not sure what to do with it you put it down on the counter.....this continues with all sorts of items in your home and eventually you have piles of stuff everywhere on every surface. Nothing has a designated home where it lives when not in use, so it remains where ever you put it....and when you can't find it you buy a new one. So designating a home for your belongings will save you money and duplicating your belongings. When starting an organizing project it can seem overwhelming. Break it down into smaller pieces. Instead of trying to organize the entire room, (you may not have enough time to do the whole room, you may not be able to focus long enough to do the entire room) pick one area. Maybe begin sorting through those items that are on the floor, or maybe organize one shelf, one drawer, one corner of the room at one time.
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)

Amy: Please do not run two electric heaters on the same outlet. In fact, you cannot run them on the same line either. If you have one electric line ending one or more outlets you cannot run two heaters at full capacity. Hopefully you have two independent lines.

The costco propane heater seems like a good heater and has an oxygen sensor but does not say it is rated for indoor use. But seems like it is meant for indoor use. It will consume oxygen and give out carbon-dioxide. Good for the plants but make sure your greenhouse is not air tight. There should be some air coming in to feed the heater. Usually, when using propane heaters indoor it is recommended to crack a window open. Also usually, the tank itself must be outside the house unless it is just small 1-2 lb tank. To be safe you should install a carbon monoxide detector too. Personally I will be hesitant to use a propane heater as a primary heater inside a greenhouse.

Putting a gas generator inside an enclosed space is not a good idea either. It will quickly overwhelm the enclosed with fumes.

nulesm thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
  • nulesm

Amy I don't believe you can plug to heaters on one outlet but I'm not an electrician. I guess it would depend on the out put of amps Mikey I believe would be a better person to ask . Do you have an outlet in your shed ? If so you could always run an extension cord from the shed to your greenhouse. Not entirely the best solution but it might get you through an intense cold snap . Amy as we know Montreal and Ottawa can get a few nights of - 30C with wind chills of -45C during the winter, two heaters just wouldn't cut that kind of cold . Amy you are going to be very excited at the growth of your trees not only growth you will never get fruit drop again . Amy this morning I was able to fit another citrus ( satsuma ) in to the GH Yippee just two more to figure out . The two trees still outdoors are Moro blood oranges one of them produced a couple of great tasting fruit a few yrs ago and that tree is about 8yrs old . The other has produced flowers but has never fruited and its older so neither trees are big producers. I would love a banana plant they love Greenhouse's but they would grow way to large . I would also love a Papaya but same problem they grow to large and I believe you need two male & female . I just love the leaves on Papaya's . Amy we bought a Honda generator during the big Tornado outbreak here last September . We had no power for 4 days hence the generator. We so take electricity, water for granted but when they are out ouch !!!! Happy GH gardening.

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Brian, first off..WOW!! You light your back yard up like it's daylight. I'll bet your neighbors have to draw their shades after drak.lol Geez, I love it though. I would not mind readinga book in there with that bright greenhouse. Wow buddy!

Bob and Brian, I have a question...How do you guys hang your lights up and do they plug into regular light sockets? Can you guys take a close up of your lights, how they hang, and what they are plugged into? I need to do something and I can't imagine how you hang them from the roof to stay there. Thanks guys@!!

Amy, I could not plug two space heaters onto one line or outlet if you paid me. They would blow a circuit because of of too much draw, over load. I have a dedicated line or outlet for each heater. One goes to my bedroom upstairs on a long strong cord, another on another cord from the back of my home, and another that is set inside the greenhouse directly. I do need three incase we go to beloew 0. I also have a small propane heater incase I loose electricty with back up canisters just in case. I have not have any issues with heat so far thank God....Don't forget to allow one vent to work. I really hope all this has helped you. How kind of Brian to start this!! I am so happy to see you finished your Chemo!! I hopoe that's it. How are you feeling our friend? You going to be ok? Think, you will be able to heal up in that beauty of a greenhouse you built! Don't worry about humidity, in fact relish in it while you have it. Like Brian said, once the space heaters are in use, winter is here, the air will be much drier. You will be begging to humidity))

Hugs

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Amy, also, I copy and pasted something I wrote for you on anothet thread that I actually started for you in my mind..Great minds think alike. Ha

"Amy wow!! Great job. I did start this thread with you in mind and others)

The only think I would suggest to you is to keep one auto vent opener in and cut a slit into the pool cover to allow it to open even in winter if it should warm up too much or get too humid and to allow fresh air into it as need be. That is what I have done and it has done wonders. For some reason when the greenhouse get no fresh air at all, it can get stuffy, too hot and encourage pests. Don't be afraid to lots of humidity, as long as your fan is running good and moving the air around it will be fine. Especially with the winter coming and when the air dries out too much you will be grateful for that humidity in there. In fact, I dug a hole in mine and filled the liner with water which frogs inhabit just to create more humidity. Mu orchids and trees love it! You should get a product called 'physan' which many places have. People use that to keep the mildew at bay and prevent disease from moisture. You can safely spray it on your walls, plants and floor. It prevents disease and it is one huge thing orchids growers have on hand since their orchids require very high humidity. It's s life saver!!"

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • nulesm

Thanks guys Tropic and Mikey for the lesson on electricity I was really hoping someone here would share their knowledge . Sorry Amy I forgot to mention that my gas generator stays outdoors while on and thanks tropic for bringing that up and your knowledge on propane heating . I always wondered if you could use propane and kerosene heaters in the GH for an emergency backup . Fantastic. Mikey I will take a pic for you .

Brian

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)

Thanks Brian, I always take safety seriously for things like these where I may not be home to detect trouble.

Yes you can use propane/kerosene heaters but have to be very careful. Household heating furnaces come with a whole bunch of very robust safety features which normal/cheap propane/kerosene heaters may not have or may not be as robust. Unlike propane and kerosene, natural gas also burns very clean. So got to be careful with them. And it is also important to let air in somehow so it has something to burn. Old houses are leaky which is a plus. Newer houses may be more air tight and so the furnaces will have a mechanism to draw fresh air in. example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7J5HWhPi0w

Electricity can be very dangerous too. Many do not quite understand many aspects of it. For example, have you ever wondered why most high power appliances come with only a six foot or shorter cord? That is because you are expected to directly plug into an outlet and not run it through extension cords. Using household extension cords and multi outlet power strips are a bad idea but many use them. They can heat up and burn internally causing shorts especially if the appliance is run for extended periods. At best it will trip the breaker and the worst you can imagine.

If you are going to use an extension cord of power strip make sure they are very good quality. Anything over a 25 ft extension cord get a commercial grade gauge 12 cord. They are heavy, look almost like a water hose but they are lot safer. For power strip get a heavy duty one with metal construction. No plastic crap.

Extension cords: get at least 12 guage wire like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DDV89UK/?th=1. There are even heavier duty ones available.

And I also highly recommend using GFCI protected line. National electrical code requires that all outlets in wet areas like kicthen and bathroom be GFCI protected.

• nulesm

Fantastic information Tropic!!!!. I do own both kerosene and Propane heaters but have always been afraid to use either. The Kerosene has safety features but still would feel very uncomfortable using it. It also would defeat the purpose if vents or doors were to be open during intense cold . I did know the higher the Guage the better the extension but great info for people planning on running long extensions to there greenhouse. Great information and fantastic links Tropic thankyou soooooo much for your time your very kind!!!!!

Mikey a couple of pics.

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Brian , I agree with you So nice of Tropic!! I love the extension cord idea. In fact the guys at Hoime Depot told me what Tropic said. I was ready to buy those long thinner ones. In fact one year I did and the extension cord fried out and caught on fire in my yard Good thing I was there.

Brian buddy, I LOVE your light set up. I can't believe my greenhouse does not have anything on top for anything to grab on to. I ma so bummed. I would of went out and bought lights. I now have to set up a bigger house once I get some money. I ned a bigger one so I caan read. Do you realize that every time I bring my plants in, I wonder where the heck or how did I have room for them last year? I have no clue how to fit things this year. I am so strapped for room and depressed because of it. I can't fit half of what I did last year. I think it's because everything grew so fast, I forgot to cut everything back. lol Thank you so much Brian buddy for the pics. I needed to see those. I wanted to use the ones that Bob showed us, but don't we need sockets for those? Hugs buddy I am hoping it's not going to hit 35 tomorrow night buddy. It is so sad to see all the annuals get toasted and the stuff die back so soon. And what a pain to have to lug everything in just for one night. Oh, I can't even stand the fact that all of a sudden it's dark at 630.lol One cloudy day and it's dark at 6. It was just a couple weeks ago it was dark at 730. If only winter went by just as fast as summer.

Tropic thank you for your time and kindnss as always!! You are a blessing here and don't forget that! A lot of great safety tps and how did you even get to know this stuff. You never dissappoint my friend.

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Bob

Amy, looking at the design of your greenhouse, can you just buy 4’ shop lights, Led’s. Hang them in the center of the pitch roofline, 3 fixtures In line.

nulesm thanked Bob
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Bob, please, how do you use the lights you posted a picture of that you showed me? Can you help me or are you here just to help Amy? Should I start my own thread?

Menard, $17.99. FEIT ones

Do you just screw them into a light socket and plug it in? Do I just screw them into something? Do I need a set up of some kind to use them?

I also noticed that the lights you use a very high above the canopy of your trees. I thought hey had to be just a few oinches above the trees to be useful? They do ok like that way up there near the ceiling? Your trees get enough light> If not, do you keep that room pretty cold? How cold?

Thanks

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • nulesm

Mikey my friend your very welcome . My greenhouse is full of very good quality beams to hang things on . I can hang plants anywhere along the ceiling although really don't want to do that. We only buy the high gauge extensions they are very expensive $$$$$$$ but for safety worth the extra money . Mikey your feeling the exact same emotions I felt a few nights ago when I brought 3/4 of my trees in and realized they would not all fit even after tearing them down a month and a half ago . I was so depressed then out came the trimmers once more , all but two are in now and probably will fit one more tomorrow. I feel for you my friend , I hope you find the strength to fit them in . Mikey snow flurries tonight just to the north of us wouldn't be surprised to see a few wet flakes tomorrow morning . There is that summer to Winter thing again just like the Winter to Summer thing . Mikey tomorrow night 28F brrrrrr that's it for the outdoor garden bye bye . Mikey this weekend I will have to dig out the packed away sweaters and winter coats and wash them all double depressing lol. Have a fantastic night buddy !!!!!

Bob love your shop and all that space you have , would I have fun in there . Very nicely lite to . Now get cracking and get it cleaned up lol .

Brian

• Bob

Mike, it has a normal screw socket, but you really need a wing shade. You can buy those at Amazon, they are very reflective, spread light wide and strong. The inside of these shades are hammertone, like chrome, 30” wide. They are super bright, don’t look directly into the light, not good for your eyes.

Mike anybody that ask me a question get an answer, anybody. I believe Amy, is just getting started, so need more attention, she’ll catch up quickly. Brian, Jodi, Tropic and others are very helpful. I am just merely being helpful because I am not into greenhouses. Mine is barely adequate. Those lights are on trial for this winter. I tried it with a regular shade, not good.

Brian, your pitch roof looks pretty strong, you can hang Mike easily from and not worry, you want me to come over too, you got something to drink while I’m hanging.

nulesm thanked Bob
  • nulesm

Bob I hope that you have help lifting those trees they are humongous I hope that's the spelling. Check out the blooms double WOW!!!! Bob very funny Mikey you must admit very funny lol . Bob I couldn't have you do that to a friend of mine he's to good of a man .

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Mike, thank you for taking the time the write down all this information even though you have a lot on your plates right now. How is your foot now? If you’re not that far away I would have come to give you a hand! It worries me to think that you have to carry all your plants in with a broken foot. Can’t you put a frost blanket on your trees for tonight?

Mike, I love my solar pool cover!! Right this minute, the temperature inside my greenhouse is 56F (without heating it) and the temperature outside is 46F!! Without it, the thermostat would have turn my heater on already! Thank you for reassuring me about the humidity because I was scratching my head to figure out what to do this winter. I have water drops falling from the roof lol! Mike, I agree with you. It’s so depressing to see that it’s getting dark sooner. Can’t wait for the day to get longer and it won’t happen before December 21st!!! Erghh

Brian, loll! I must confess that I already wear my winter jacket today. I hate being cold! Oh how lucky are we to live in the only place on earth that get all the effect of the polar vortex loll! Brian, I am so happy that you were able to fit two more trees in your greenhouse. One more to go right? Can tou put the last one in your house? Oh one more question Brian, may I ask you if it’s normal that my lychee trees start to drop some leaves now?

Bob, your trees are really amazing!!!! Do you already start to bring your trees inside your green room already? It’s so true Bob that is getting harder and harder as we get older. Some of my trees are in 5 gallons pots and they are already heavy for me to lift so I can’t imagine when I will ned to put them in a 10 gallons or bigger. Bob, do you keep your green room at 60F all winter?

Tropicofcancer, thank you so much for helping me! Here is the extension cord that I use:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-contractor-grade-power-block-extension-cord-12-3-gauge-0522321p.html#srp

I have one of them plug in an electric outlet on my patio and another one plug in an outlet in my garden. Next year, I will call an electrician to install another outlet inside my greenhouse so I won’t have to use any extension cords.

Again, guys you are awesome! It’s one thing to ask for help and to get it but it’s another thing to have friends who offer their help before you need to ask! Thank you, thank you and thank you!!

nulesm thanked Amy (montreal, canada)
  • Bob

My greenroom is 29x14’, temps are kept at basement temps 72* all winter long is part of the whole house central air/heating system. It was my stained glass “studio”.

Because it has a garage door and windows, French doors, temps are lower than the rest of the house. This room is closed from the rest of the house because the returns are closed of. So temps are usely lower but stays around 62-67 *.

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Bob, do you have any pest problem with this temperature?

• Bob

Gnats, yes,, problem ? No. spray? Yes. Where? At the base and top of the pot. How often ? When I see one At a pot. Take me a minute that’s all. I don’t check my trees every day.

I had scale on a couple of trees, spray them with “ Shout” my wife,s cleaner she use. Gone!

Listen, whatever I use is what I do, you can try it for yourself and see if it work for you.

Btw, Amy, I am a licensed electrician in 3 States, Illinois, Indiana, Arkansas. I can give you a detailed way if you like, have build detach garages, greenhouses are no different.

My trees are still outside, when temps are in the low forties I bring them in, so, a few more weeks. This week we have high seventies.

nulesm thanked Bob
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)

Cool Bob - good to know you are a pro electrician. I am not one but I do my own work and have it inspected by a licensed electrician. Have learned a lot over the years. On the other hand I am trained well in electronics.

Mike: Look at these metal halide reflectors: https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Crunch-D940003200-Reflector-Horticulture/dp/B00Y78PI9Y/ You will need something like that. These have a larger E39 Mogul socket. Home Depot sells and adapter for E26 sockets. Many years back I used to run a 600W Metal halide lamp for my plants before changing over to fluorescents and later LEDs. I still have the hood and I adapted it to run CFLs using the socket adapter. If you look around on craigslist you may find these cheaper.

Amy: That cord is the right one. You should be safe running one heater on that cord. And some lights too.

Brian: your greenhouse looks very well made and super strong and your fixtures and wiring look very good too. I am amazed how manage to pack your greenhouse with those massive plants. Bob also manages to fit in his beautiful collection of large plants. Most of plants are lot smaller (by choice) since I am mostly interested in bonsai. My tallest plant is a seed grown mango that I have had for 20 yrs now out of curiosity. I keep chopping it down to keep it under 5ft or so. It does not produce any fruit (I guess I never let it reach its node count). Every year I think I should try and get a scion and graft it. Never got around to it.

• Bob

Tropic, they make them either way with the common socket. The one in my picture is led, they are use for normal E26 sockets. Way cheaper to operate.

nulesm thanked Bob
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)

I though those big wing reflectors usually come with the larger socket. So you have a reflector that has E26 sockets? If you can post a link or make/model it will be great. I need a decent led light like yours for my shed.

• Bob

Tropic, Amazon sells them, they have a big variety. And as you mention, you can just screw an an adapter, they only cost a buck or so. An adapter might be beneficial because they make your bulb stick out a little farther towards the center. Mogul sockets are nothing more than h/d e26.ones. LED,s don’t require high current like M/H lights.These guys don’t last anyway.

nulesm thanked Bob
  • nulesm

Hello Amy. So cool outside today and that wind Yuck. I guess no choice we better get used to it and fast. Amy I love the snow but hate the cold how crazy is that. Amy that is a bit unusual that your lychee is loosing leaves but this is your first year with it so maybe it's an adjustment thing. Glad that the plants are in -2C tonight with a killing frost for sure, the nice thing is it's late this year.

Tropic thankyou so much it's definitely a labor of love for sure. I must admit lol a few nights ago I felt like throwing everything out I was so frustrated that I couldn't fit everything in there. It really came down to my addiction to citrus anything else would have probably ended up in the garbage. I'm so happy to have you Bob and Mikey around here for the electric and heating knowledge that's a huge asset to this forum . Thanks again my friend and all have a fantastic weekend! !!!!

Brian

• Bob

I don’t know what your code is, here is what I would do.

Underground cable run in pvc pipe from house to greenhouse, dig ditch about a foot deep.

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Bob, you are a jack of all trades! In addition to working for your fire department you are a certified electrician? Bob, I wonder how much a certified electrician here will charge me to install something like yours.

Tropicofcancer, maybe you can ask someone to share some mango budwoods so you can graft them on your mango tree? A few years ago, we went to florida and tasted the most wonderful mango. It was a green one, crunchy but very very sweet! Never knew the name!

Brian, I went to costco today to buy my third heater just to be on the safe side. It was really cold today but what bothered me more is the decreasing hours of light at this time of year!

• Bob

If you were my friend and live nearby, charge will be free. We do little jobs like that all the time. If I need welding, they do it for free also. I got a friend, a Canadian, lives here also a fireman, bring me stuff from his wilderness hide out up somewhere in Canada.

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Bob, I have this led grow light already:

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/croissance-hydroponique-int%C3%A9rieur-V%C3%A9g%C3%A9tatif-Black-1000W/dp/B01871AHTC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=bestva&qid=1570279563&sprefix=bestva&sr=8-1

I used last year in my grow tent and the trees loved it. Will it be possible for to plug this on the same outlet as one of my heater or it will overload it?

Oh lol Canada is quite big so we have lots of wilderness hide. Is he one of the lucky one who lives on the tropical weast coast with Jan? I can send you some maple syrup anytime! Bob, how is you pawpaw harvest doing this year? I never taste one but love atemoya, sugar apple and soursop. do pawpaws taste relatively like any of those fruits?

• Bob

Those led lights are coming down in price and they are very nice. In my case I don’t need any fancy stuff, if they hold up and if you have a bunch of plants not trees you are in buissiness, they are good to have.

Paw paws were in abundance, surprise many more people I gave to try like them, one woman after eating a couple took a bunch. My wife don’t eat them , she does my persimmons, just the special ones. Atemoya, taste a little sharper In comparison.

My buddy lives straight north of Michigan just passing Brian fortress.

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Brian, I just saw that valentine pummelos are available on four wind (don t ask me why I ventured there... lol it just pop on my face! I swear). I quickly wrote to Gary of phoenix perennials to ask if he can get a hold of this one for me. I know, I know, I am incorrigible. Seeing Bob and Steve beautiful trees makes me crazy lolll.

Oh may as well ask... Bob how is your valentine pummelos taste?

• Bob

Spending a few years in the Far East I ate a lot of them. There they are very big and you really could not eat one all. The segments are as big as a banana.

Mine will not be ripe by somewhere in December, will let you know. My guess, it would not be as good. Last winter I ate one and it was not good, picked too young.

Ask quite Brian, when he is up and moving, after breakfast with a lot of orange juice as usely

Amy, I got 9 pomelo’s, i’ll Give you eight, because you haven’t filled your greenhouse.

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Bob lol, stop teasing me! Seriously, if you live in the same country I will have take your trees and build an extension to my greenhouse. It’s not just because everyone know that all your trees are gorgeous but also because they will always remind me of you. I am kind of a very sentimental person. My grafted shasta gold and shiranui remind me of Brian. Figs tree remind me of sunshine and Steve. Jaboticabas remind me of you and orchids make me think of Mike. Everytime, I go shopping for new citrus I have a thought for Jan because I can imagine how fun it will be to share my enthusiasm with her lolll. She’s always my partner in crime and I miss her so much.

• Bob

I be looking for that Penske truck, I am not teasing. Do you want me to send you paw paw seeds?

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Bob, it s very kind of you! I will try to find some fresh fruit to taste first and will let you know later. Which varieties do you have?

• Bob

Amy, you better tough’n up a bit, you are dealing with a mix of people that have a few a little on the rough side, including me. A little humor is needed here, it’s get kind of boring talking Citrus all the time. This place is like a bad hospital, lots of problems, no cures.

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Lol Bob, I really don’t mind a little bit of teasing because I love laughting and I always laught at myself because of my gardening addiction lol!

• Bob

Here might be some help if you have problems transporting bigger containers.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Amy, you are ONE in a miilion. Thank you for your kind and sweet words. Not too many people I know like you. I will have a picture of an Orchid soon for you. Hugs and be healthy please))

Mike

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)

You guys are all fun and funny at the same time :). Amy, you are a kind friend :) Speaking of figs, did any of the cuttings survive and grow for you last year? If not, I can send you cuttings again.

• nulesm

Amy how do you like this weather , fantastic isn't it. Sunshine all week Yippee. It was 90 degrees at 10.30 am in the GH under all that intense sun I had to open a couple of windows. Amy winter has started very early in the west the pictures from out there are incredible . Your purchase of a third heater was a very good decision I'm relieved. We were at Costco and the heater looks like a good one and the price was good also . Amy it's a long wait till pre order is here will you make it lol. Hopefully Gary will be able to get your Valentine in for you . Have a great day Amy .

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Sunshine, yes one of the cuttings took! Thank you so much for your generosity!! You gave so many fig and dragon fruit cuttings it was like christmas and my birthday at the same time lolll! At the beginning of spring, my blood orange fell and one of the branch broke. I kept a cutting in the fridge thinking that you may want it for your friendship tree. Lol, I think that it’s getting too dry to do anything with it now.

Mike, we will finally have a warm and sunny week although I already bring my cymbidiums in the greenhouse. I should have let them outdoor one more week. It’s one of my favourite orchids but I don’t seem to have luck to get them to flower. I will see if the greenhouse will help this year!!

My cymbidiu, dendrobiums and phragmipediums are all on promix and they don’t seem to mind at all. Less work for me because I don’t need to water them as often.

Brian! Do you enjoy the beautiful weather we have this week? The days are warm but the nights are already cool. Last night it went down to 4celsius so I already have to turn one of my heater on! Do you also have to heat your greenhouse already or your five wall greenhouse is enough to keep the heat for now? Brian, I start to collect water bottle to add them in my greenhouse for some sort of passive heating. Not sure it’s gonna work but have nothing to lose since it will cost me nothing to try.

Yes lol, I hope that Gary will be able to get a hold on the valentine pummelos! Do you shop for end of season sales at your local nursery this year. My local home depot didn’t carry any citrus this year. How about yours?

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Amy, leave them out, the Cymbidiums that is. They need a cold dry period to prompt them to flower. Leave thm in a protected dry bright area where it will just about get to freezing, that may mean days more and they will bud up))

Oh shoot, got to run, I will be back))

• nulesm

Hello Amy . The sun is shining gloriously the temperature is just right and I'm under the weather lol. I've been hit with a major cold started yesterday , Kleenex companies are going to love me . Amy the night time temperatures have been really cool just above the freezing mark . Every morning there has been a light frost but not a killing one . I have one heater set at 55 degrees so it's been coming on through the night . The sun is on the GH around 7.45am and the heater shuts off around 8.00am . It might help a little storing water in the GH but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make here living in the artic lol . My fingers are crossed for you Amy sure hope that Gary can get your valentine. I know how much you want to add it to your wonderful collection !!!!! Amy the only nurseries I found carrying citrus this year where in Montreal not even Home Depot carried them which is probably a very good thing for me . Enjoy the beautiful weather Amy.

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)

Thank you Mike! I just bring my cymbidiums out again. My neighbors must think that I am crazy lolll!

Brian, I hope that you feel better and will be up and ready to party for the long weekend lol! Can you believe that some of my trees have flower buds now? I hope that it’s not some kind of stress! Brian, do you gave any fruits on your satsuma? I have a couple of fruits on my okitsu and I really hope that they will taste better than my kishus lolll

• nulesm

Thanks Amy stil down and out but a little better today . Amy be prepared to be astonished your trees will more than likely grow and bloom all winter maybe not all at the same time but still will be very fun to watch . Amy I had to cut my Satsuma back quit hard to fit it in the GH , it had fruit but now none . I heard Okitsu is sweet & tasty fingers crossed for you. Amy my Kishu's are pretty good this year but still a bit more room for improvement. Amy wishing you and your family and all my Canadian friends here a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING weekend.

Brian

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)

Brian, Amy, Matt and other Canadian forum friends, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

nulesm thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Amy, at least we know we are crazy and no one has to prove that right.lol We must be the only ones in our neighborhoods with lighst at night, running in and out with our trees at night, and while everyone has brown trees, bare ones and brown grass, our green gems still add life to our yards. lol. The only reall green things growing in my yard are my trees and plants that come inside. I will post you a pic in a bit. Yes, keep they dry and cold. They will pop flowers, watch) I hope you are doing ok these days. I worry about you at times.

Brian, I have been meaning to thank you for explaining how you hang your lights. Quite a feat I'd say and once they are on, I'll bet you just love it! So much light well after dark while everyone is inside being depressed while you can go out there and feel like you are in a warmer climate to get us through the bitter winters. I don't think I could ever give up my greenhouse unless I am forced to. I hope that day nveres comes buddy. Hugs By the way, beautiful weather here today. I have still yet to get a frost. They had to cancel the fair for the first time in history due to mosquitos and thriple E, Today it is almost 70 and yet all my trees are still outside. They are loving that I tell you buddy. I don't even see a frost in the next ten days))))

Sunshine, you always bring me sunshine. How have you been? How's your set up? You are so sweet and a very important part of our frienships here. I've missed you)

Bob, you are always full of good ideas. Between you and Steve, we have a couple of guineses here! Thank you for always trying to make our growing experiences a bit easier.

Mike

• Matt z5b GH 9b

Thanks, Happy Thankgiving guys!! Hope it was a a relaxing time with friends and family! lots of Turkey/food with all the trimmings!

This is a tough time here because the trees still have all their leaves as the sun still lowers. Blocking the sun until early November. The GH might get 3 hours of direct sun. I placed it so the GH gets as much winter sun as possible and that it does from Nov-Feb. I don't worry about extra lighting. I have found things do great as long as they are outside of the house. This includes succulents.

I figured out to upload pics they have to be downsized half and they upload no problem.

We should all post pics of the interior of our GH. I feel we all have crammed a lot in this year lol:P Would love to see them!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Matt, the very same things happens to me. The very same thing. The trees are still full of leaves and late of all else blocking the much lower sun in the sky for most of my sunny plants outside and in my greenhouse. I hate it. The sun does not hit my greenhouse until at least 10 and leaves the greenhouse at about 2,,,I get two straight hours of direct sun until all the elaves fall. Ugh. Wish I could see your pics buddy.

I al;so feel like I have too much to fit anything else. Weird. I feel like my greenhouse shrunk and I don't think I put anything extra in there. I don't know where to even put one of my trees, let alone 3!

• Matt z5b GH 9b

Here I thought I was the only one :P Mike, I think it's a case of the trees are getting big! Hopefully they will fall in the next 2 weeks. I'll make a thread for fall/winter GH pics.