Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

"Hubner Plot" / May be 'Rubens'

6 years ago

"Hubner Plot"

was collected in an old Central California cemetery.


A suggested identity is 'Rubens', an 1859 Tea Rose, from France:

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5548


It's still somewhat immature, but thus far, we've found "Hubner Plot" to be robust and disease-free, and a terrific bloomer, here in our Coastal SoCal area.




Comments (16)

  • 6 years ago

    Gorgeous, Jeri!

  • 6 years ago

    It looks like a silk ball gown! I love how it is grown as a tree in the cemetery. Thank you for posting this. I think Cory Anne and also grew this. I wonder how hers is doing.

  • 6 years ago

    Really pretty! It is a beautiful rose!

  • 6 years ago

    Jeri, Love the color! I am a sucker for blush roses. Wonderful to be able to give it a tentative ID. You say it blooms a lot. I am curious about the Teas as a family and how much bloom is a lot for them? I have Mrs. Dudley Cross and Monsier Tiller from last year and got Rosette Delizy late Spring (still in a pot) and just ordered Gilbert Nabonnand and Madame Joseph Schwartz for this fall. MT, in the ground less than a year, is already 5 feet tall and starting its 4th flush! MDC is taking her time, but is on her 3rd flush though I mostly disbud her since she is small.

  • 6 years ago

    MDC was slow for us, and in our (then) foggy, cool, humid conditions she mildewed badly. We did better with the (similar, larger) 'Marie van Houtte'. (We lost MvH to drought, but have recently re-acquired her.)
    And we have not grown MJS . . . But the others were/are terrific for us.

    O'course, WE are right on the Ventura County coast, with a distant sight of the sea, so our conditions are VERY different from yours. But most of these roses also excell in the Central Valley (Sacramento/Stockton) so I'd say they should do very well for you indeed.

    I'm PARTICULARLY a fan of 'Rosette Delizy'.

    I would love to grow 'Hugo Roller' (available in Australia, but not here) which is similarly-colored.

  • 6 years ago

    Besides the glorious blooms, the foliage is so good on the Teas, Stephanie.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Possibly Rubens has done very well for me in the ground in Florida. It is about 3ft now and about that wide. Gets all day sun. Its close to a place where it gets run off from rain so its thriving and bloom alot. Its pretty disease free as well.

    Yesterday morning...



  • 6 years ago

    I'm not sure if this is what Hubner Plot is supposed to look like. It has long canes and the flowers start off pretty pink but turn brownish in the center. Is this disease or too hot weather? I got it from Old Sac Cemetery in April last year and put it in the ground last fall. Is it a climber/rambler? One of my first antique roses. Any help is appreciated.



  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago


    another picture of Hubner Plot

  • 6 years ago

    I would have to see a clearer photo of the bloom, but it certainly is not "brownish" at the center.

    And, it is a bush, not a climber. A tall, vigorous, disease-resistant bush.

    The bloom is a warm pinky-creme, with pink on the outer leaves.
    And it does pink up a bit as it opens, in response to sunlight.

  • 6 years ago

    That brownish center seems due to moisture and thrips. I get a lot of over night fog and heavy dews and we do have flower thrips. I see more than my share of that exact browning in the lighter colored, very full Teas here.


  • 6 years ago

    Titian -- Thanks for telling me.
    You know how it is ... we always want what we cannot have.

  • 6 years ago

    And, it's funny about that brown ... I've seen that on outer petals, but not in the center.

  • 6 years ago

    You will in older blooms.

  • 6 years ago

    thank you jerijen and roseseek for your help.

0