Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pensivern

Dark family room redo

pensivern
4 years ago

Here’s a before and after of our “ cozy” but dark FR. My husband built a new fireplace surround and flanking window seats (for storage) .So much brighter!

Comments (26)

• mcguirks
    4 years ago

We have a very similar layout and I had planned to do something with our fireplace and well. Did he remove the brick or simply cover it up? Any photos of the process? I'm hoping it will also help our dark living room!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Very nice!! Are you planning additional lighting? That will be great. Even arc floor lamp would be great.

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Impressive redo, much more updated and bright. Glad you removed the Roman shades, they didn’t add much.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have ceiling lights and lighting in every corner of room except wicker chair- do t feel I need more than that. The Roman shades needed to go but we’re missing our privacy at night. Think we should just do cellular so they’d be up during the day and take up minimal space?

• mcguirks
    4 years ago

Thank you for the photos pensivern! We added sheers to our dining room to provide light, but give some privacy at night. I thought about Solar shades, but didn't want to bother putting them up and down every day. Just an idea.

• Rachel G
    4 years ago

It looks amazing! so much better than before.

• PRO
    Shakuff
    4 years ago

Wow it almost looks like a completely different space! Love the redo!

• Tracy Peters
    4 years ago

This is gorgeous and so inspiring! I love the window seats and the fact that they offer storage is just icing on the cake. :)

• rpwoodard
    4 years ago

While house hunting in 2017, I saw a living/family room that looked EXACTLY like yours.

Maybe those folks will update their fireplace as well as you guys did

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

Looks great! Love what you have done to the fireplace.

• PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    4 years ago

Looks Fabulous!

• PRO
    Scott Hall Remodeling
    4 years ago

Great job!

• Thandi
    4 years ago

Wow amazing job. It looks like a completely different room!

• PRO
    Fuse Architects, Inc.
    4 years ago

It's so much brighter and more inviting! Nice job!

• MT Castillo
    4 years ago

Amazing!

• tuckerdc
    4 years ago

Great new look! Except, I'm a cranky old bat who absolutely hates a tv mounted above the fireplace. (Maybe they should call this section 'Different Strokes.') But the fp, the window seats - very nice!

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was anti TV above fireplace for a long time, but I find I’m loving it there. My husband has it mounted on a bracket that can lower the TV nearly 2 feet and tilt it side to side depending on where we’re sitting and what we’re watching. The room for extra seating also makes it worth it!

• kodiac23
    4 years ago

Beautiful

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Well done! Looks 100 times better.

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Is anybody else getting tired of Styldod’s posting on so many dilemmas?

• B Merrit
    4 years ago

What color did you paint the walls? Looks so much brighter!

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ben Moore Seapearl

• claudette
    4 years ago

looks great, my living room has a similar layout with same brick fireplace

• Brittany Nelson
    4 years ago

Looks great, love the change! So much brighter and clearly more updated.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

Gabriella, a history of your comments shows that you're mostly interested in promoting the replica MCM chairs and sideboards sold at a NYC furniture store. You wouldn't happen to work there or own the store, or be friends or partners (personally or professionally) with someone who is, would you? Also, there have been more than a dozen BBB complaints in the past three years about the store you've been recommending, which I would find problematic if I were looking to buy something there.