dillybeansown

Help pairing striped clematis

Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
October 9, 2019
last modified: October 9, 2019

I have a Bees Jubilee (light lavender/pink with mauve bars) that is several years old. It puts on a beautiful show every spring, and does well with minimal care. The problem is that I have a very hard time finding anything that I like with it. Next to the lovely lavender blue Ramona, it gives me a jarring sensation. Behind Queen Elisabeth, the pinks just don’t go together and look off. Zephy‘s hot pink clashes with the mauve bars. I confess to being a bit of a color perfectionist in the garden, but that’s because the right combinations, once they are hit upon, can be so stunning. How do you handle these more striking clematis? Do you plant them with contrasting colors? Colors that match exactly? Ideas are welcome, and any photos would be wonderful!

(I already traded away one of my mature Bees Jubilee for a Roguchi, and am tempted to do the same with this other. Lol. One last effort...)