Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_3817511

Need help choosing roof materials!

Julie Gordon
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi there, I am trying to re-roof my home and need to make a decision asap. I like the look of a soft, greyish brown that is relatively monochromatic, but I can't seem to find it. The newer shingles all seem so variegated in colour. Black is most solid but feels too 'heavy' for my house. Any suggestions (shingle brand and colour)? Again, I prefer browns or grey-browns... and would like the roof to not have that patchy look. I am considering: weathered wood by GAF or IKO; teak by Owens Corning (looks patchy to me - my roofer likes it); or Natural wood by Malarkey. Open to suggestions, including going to a charcoal for a cleaner look or even standing seam metal (brown?).

Oh -- and also important is that I hope to paint my house a creamy white or off-white in the next couple of years. I am open to freshening up the trim and accents sooner... but the pink will be there for another year or two.

Comments (9)

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

I've seen a roof with GAF Weathered Wood that looked great with a cream colored house. Please don't put a metal roof of any color on your beautiful bungalow. It doesn't go. You may find this book interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Bungalow-Colors-Exteriors-Robert-Schweitzer/dp/1586851306

You probably know this, but your roofer or local roofing material supply store should be able to give you a list of homes with your preferred roof colors, and you can drive around and see how they look in a large swath.

FWIW, I own a 1940 bungalow (currently painted a sage color, to be repainted a darker green, probably SW "Messenger Bag") and I'll be using GAF Weathered Wood. One reason: it's trying to look like wood shingles, which is what is period-appropriate for these bungalows. I considered Slate (a light grey) but prefer Weathered Wood.

Good luck! Happy New Roof!

p.s. I wouldn't repaint the trim. It looks good. I'd save that time/money and speed up when you repaint the pink.

• jck910
    4 years ago

I agree cannot stand the variations in colors of roof shingles. I look out my slider at a brown/tan/yellow and out my front windows at blue/black both of which I dislike. Our old roof was silver and our contractor uses Owens Corning so I had a really difficult time choosing a new color. Color I wanted wasn't available in New England. Ended up with Shasta White. It's a Cape Cod style home with weathered gray shingles on 3 sides and blue/green clapboard on front with white trim so it worked.

Look at GAF Timbertex Fox Hollow Gray

This is shasta white not to much variation

• Emily Richardson
    4 years ago

I actually think a light/medium brown would look really cute with cream (and the pink while you still have it!)

My Houzz: Designer Breathes Life Into Her Family’s Historic Home · More Info

Pheasant · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I like the look of weathered wood by GAF. You have a super cute house.

• Julie Gordon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow thanks everyone! This is my first post on this site and it's so helpful.

A few responses:

@girl_wonder so annoying - both my roofer and the local suppliers say they cannot give out ANY addresses for privacy reasons. So, I have been walking around and literally knocking on doors but have yet to see the weathered wood on a roof (that I can confirm). That said, it;s the one I am leaning toward and it's super helpful that a few people here can vouch for it looking good.

@jck910 I don't think I can get that GAF colour (I'm in Canada in the pacific northwest). I like the light roof you chose... but am afraid it will be too light for me, especially with the pink. I tried a light colour on one of the apps and it looked odd.

@Emily Richardson I agree a medium brown could work, but I can't find one that's not patchy

and @BeverlyFLADeziner those are gorgeous! Are they real wood? I don't think I can afford to do that and keep reading it's not advisable...

Thanks also @houssaon I love my little house and want it to have a roof that it deserves

• Julie Gordon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh - I found the amazulu tile. Cool product! I will look into it... but I've already given my roofer a deposit and I don't know if they'd work with it. It's lovely - thanks

• Julie Gordon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

another question if you don't mind. Is this the look of weathered wood (approx) for those who've seen it?