Software
Houzz Logo Print
mat08686

Gray Canyon or Gabana Quartzite?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello! First time posting here, but long-time lurker. I know there are a lot of quartzite experts out there so thought I'd try my luck at this.


We are gut-renovating our bathroom and kitchen in NYC and I am stuck on choices for countertops. I know I want a quartzite (because secretly I want marble but my family is not nearly clean enough to care for it), and I've been to about 4 stone yards now.


I've narrowed it down to two - very different - options. A slab of Gabana Quartzite:



or 'Gray Canyon' Quartzite:



I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these stones and/or additional photographs? I like the 'shattered glass' look of Gabana and the 'liquid steel' look of the Gray Canyon. I'm torn!


I'm also asking as there seem to be so many different names for some quartzites and I'm having trouble finding any photographs of these installed and whether or not they're the dreaded 'soft' quartzites (which I know are likely just marble). I have not seen Gabana mentioned anywhere, really, and Gray Canyon I have also seen labeled as "Allure", "Platinum", "Blue Tahoe", and even "Sea Pearl Dark". Confusing! Any help or insight would be much appreciated!


Hopefully the attached photos of the slabs do them justice, though, of course, they look different in person.


Anyway, apologies for the long post and thanks for any and all help!

Comments (20)

  • 6 years ago

    Since I can't make photos post here are links.

    Gabana: https://ibb.co/pxZWNJH

    Gray Canyon: https://ibb.co/0Xfk8X9

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    What other colors are in your kitchen? Cabinets? Walls? Flooring?

  • 6 years ago

    This is what we're modeling it after. Love the dark gray counters but since it's a small apartment and the kitchen is in the back corner, I worry that it would be too dark. Hence the Gabana option.


  • 6 years ago

    Love the fun inspiration kitchen, I’ve seen it around.

    I haven’t heard of Gray Canyon, but fell in love with a slab of Gabana when we were looking. It didn’t really go with the look we were trying to achieve unfortunately. Can you take home samples of each to test for etching, staining, chipping, etc? I know some stone yards have precut pieces from certain lots of stone.

    mat08686 thanked crystalpea
  • 6 years ago

    Are you going to commit to the black sink and appliances as in your inspiration kitchen? If so, the darker gray canyon quartzite would be the right choice, in my opinion.

    mat08686 thanked T B
  • 6 years ago

    Would love to get samples from the stone yards but they were all out unfortunately. Otherwise, I would definitely be dousing everything in lemon juice, ketchup, and glass scratches just to be safe!


    Kitchen items that are set are - white sink, cabinet color (that same blush), black porcelain tile floor (a textured, matte tile), brass fixtures & hardware, stainless fridge, similar oven (an Ilve Majestic) in 'matte graphite' with brass trim. So mostly similar - darker floor though and no hardwood anywhere, really.

  • 6 years ago

    The less darker one is called sea Pearl in my area too. I hate that they change the names. I almost went with that one personally. But my kitchen was not that wide for it. It's a gorgeous piece.

    mat08686 thanked Yesica Jure
  • 6 years ago

    You also have to factor in how much lighting that kitchen receives. That will affect how dark the dark slab appears.

    mat08686 thanked Yesica Jure
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I guess my question is why all the different finishes for appliances and sink , in samll space those are best done in one finish and especially with the counter it is already busy and IMO should be the star so all stainless for the rest will enhance the stone and I would do the Cabana . Make sur eyour lighting is LEDs in 40000K

    mat08686 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 6 years ago

    I like to live dangerously, I guess? (i.e. I was really set on the oven and they didn’t have any panel-ready fridges that fit our small space). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks to everyone for the help/advice! Beth H. - Thank you so much for putting together that image. Super helpful!! I think it maybe helped tip me towards a final decision.

    On that note - I believe we'll be going ahead with the Gabana Quartzite. Does anyone happen to have photos of it installed or have seen any anywhere? I'm having trouble finding any photographs of it!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    prob because it's a diff name.



    try looking under Cielo too (there is also a Cielo Blue)


    mat08686 thanked Beth H. :
  • 6 years ago

    Wow. Beth for the win. You are a true hero.

  • 6 years ago

    Anyone else with photos of Gabana or Cielo installed?

  • 6 years ago

    I prefer the Gabana. It has more interest and for a small kitchen, I think it would work better than the darker choice.

    However, I am not sure it would be a good choice if your cabinets are going to be the same as the inspiration picture.

    mat08686 thanked eld6161
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Trying to post some pictures I found of some more Gabana installed






    mat08686 thanked crystalpea
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, crystalpea! That first photo is super helpful!

  • 5 years ago

    Did you install the Gabanna Quartzite? I am considering it now for my kitchen. How is your quartzite holding up in the kitche?

  • 4 years ago

    How’s it work out? Can we see pictures?