Software
Houzz Logo Print
laura_04

needing suggestions for warm, peaceful color palette

6 years ago

Transforming a small bedroom into a sitting room with built in bookcases & window seat. We have a historic home so hoping to keep that vibe in this room. Need paint color suggestions for bookcases, window seat, trim, and walls. Only things in here so far are an earthy green cushion for the window seat, red oak floors, and a dark walnut dresser. I’ve tried so many samples and still have come up with nothing I love. Please help!

Comments (42)

  • 6 years ago

    Can you share a photo of the room?

  • 6 years ago

    It’s a small room with 2 windows facing north and east. And a total mess right now :/

  • 6 years ago

    I was just reading this thread on the various paint manufacturers' colors of the year for 2020 and thought of you. Going off you "earthy green" mention and a preference warm and peaceful, take a look at the Behr palette posted in that thread, or the 1st PPG palette shown.

  • 6 years ago

    I like both of those palettes cawaps. Thanks :) The 1st ppg has similar colors I thought i could pull in with throw pillows etc.
    I need to choose a paint color quick for the carpenter. He’ll probably be needing it this week for the window seat & bookcase. Cannot decide if that should match the trim. If the trim should be darker or lighter than the walls... If I should just pick two shades of off white or light tan. Or paint everything the same (????) I’m scared to commit to a color. I’ve looked forward to doing this room for so long and now that I’m there- I’m stuck.

  • 6 years ago

    Stupid Houzz ate my post. Second attempt.


    In my house I kept the trim color consistent (white) throughout the house. It takes one decision out of the mix and provides continuity from room to room. I'd probably paint the bookcases and window seat the trim color. I've just daisy-chained a bunch of choices to the color of the trim in the rest of your house and I don't know what that is, so take this all with a grain of salt. In my mind it's white.


    If you want to stay safe with neutrals, and using the colors on the PPG palette for reference, you could use Concrete on the walls and Atrium White on the trim. You've got your earthy green cushion and you could accent with Cranapple and teeny bit of Crushed Pineapple.


    If you want to be bolder (or if you don't have a lot of wall area after the bookcases are in), you could paint the room Hush Puppy, or maybe a slightly lighter version of the color. You could pull in the Nutmeg with the green.

    You're really hamstringing us by not providing pictures (I think that's why you aren't getting more people jumping in with advice). I'm happy to play Carnac the Magnificent and answer questions based on (almost) no information, but I have no idea whether my advice is good or not.

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for all the suggestions Carnac the Magnificent ;)
    The trim in the public spaces of my house are the original dark wood and white in the bedrooms. I’ll add a pic.

  • 6 years ago

    The carpenter building the window seat & bookcases suggested staining the inside and shelves and painting the outside of the bookcases. More options! More indecisiveness :/

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Please post pictures we truly are working in the dark

  • 6 years ago

    Since your starting place is a small bedroom, I'll take that to mean the trim in the room is currently white, not dark wood.


    The bookcases I've seen with wood (or wallpapered) backs have painted shelves, not wood shelves. Wood would add warmth, but if it is going to create analysis paralysis and wasn't part of your vision, I'd probably just disregard the suggestion and stick with all paint. I know what you mean about too many options. If you paint, at some later date you can paint the backs a contrasting color if you decide you want that.


    Looking forward to that picture...

    (If you have trouble, as many people seem to, uploading from a PC is more reliable than from your phone, or if you upload from your phone use the Houzz app. JPG as opposed to other photo formats. Reducing the photo size speeds up upload time and minimizes glitches. And always wait for the photo to go from gray-out to full color before hitting submit).

  • 6 years ago

    Almost finished cleaning out the room. I’ll post pics tomorrow. Analysis paralysis is a perfect description! Ha. Sounds better than ocd. I really appreciate the time & help.

  • 6 years ago

    And yes, the trim is currently white. I’m not against stripping the paint tho.

  • 6 years ago

    Drawing of the window seat being built, dresser, cushion I bought,and a painting I could use above the dresser.

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    You rock!! Not sure how you did that but it’s so great to have visuals... thank you!

  • 6 years ago

    I’ve been looking at pillows... Liking the arrangement you chose! 3 solid, 3 patterned all the same size :) That color looks great w the green too.

  • 6 years ago

    I did it all in Word. You just need to learn how to float images over text (wrap text option) and strip backgrounds (one of their picture tools).


    The number of pillows in my mock-up was driven by a need to cover up the pillows that were in the original window seat photo I snagged, and the throw pillows in the image you provided of your cushion. So I get no design credit for number or size, but I do like a mix of solids and patterns.


    All the wall colors are from the PPG palette mentioned earlier except for the lighter peach/pink, which is a lighter version of the Hush Puppy. I think the Nutmeg (the brown one) is my favorite of the mock-ups, though on reflection I might pair it with one of the other rugs.


    (I'm not recommending PPG paints; I actually don't know anything about them but the palette from the other thread makes a handy color reference. Once you figure out what you are looking for you can find a similar color in your preferred brand.)

  • 6 years ago

    Well thanks again :) The first is similar to what I was going for before I posted - Sherwin Williams white duck or oyster white on walls,trim, and window seat. I’m liking the darkest on the walls now too. It really does help seeing what it will look like!

  • 6 years ago

    Pics of the room walking clockwise. The new bookcases won’t be quite as wide as the metal shelves in here now, but the “built in” will take up that whole wall. Current colors are BM river gorge gray and barely beige trim.

  • 6 years ago

    I think your plan will work really well in the space. Is the dresser going between the entry door and the bookcase? I don't see where else it would fit. What are your plans for the shelves by the door?


    I tried some more colors and rugs.


    I think this is SW Balanced Beige


  • 6 years ago

    SW Macadamia


  • 6 years ago

    SW Escapade Gold


  • 6 years ago

    SW Copper Mountain (I probably should have color-shifted the pillows toward orange, but I forgot)


  • 6 years ago

    SW Hearts of Palm


  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    One warm color that north and east exposure share is yellow.

    How about B.M. Goldtone for the walls?

    Inspiration photo gives you an idea of how to create that warm and peaceful space.




  • 6 years ago

    I tracked down some images of stained window seats with bookshelves.




  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    Thanks! I needed to find a way to store all of our kitchen overflow (kitchen is tiny too), our home lacks closets and storage space all around. I’m super excited to have this built for us.
    I have a sample of balanced beige (I tried it in another room). And yes, the dresser will go on that wall. I want a small chair on the opposite wall.
    I’m wondering if I should take down those corner shelves and get a tall but not so deep lingerie chest for that corner between the closet and door. Have any dif suggestions?
    I could also return the green cushion and get an ivory colored one if this color is restricting...
    So i def should paint the bookcase a shade of white? I just discovered BM Gettysburg gray. Would be So pretty on the bookcases, but probable shrink the room even more and don’t think would go with the green cushion.

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    The last 2 pics, my husband wants them stained. The wood is maple. Staining is an option! But I wouldn’t want yellow/ orange wood which seems how maple usually turns out. Is that right?

  • 6 years ago

    I do like the all warm neutral whites Judy G. Very pretty too!

  • 6 years ago

    Have this dresser too

  • 6 years ago

    BM Goldtone



  • 6 years ago

    BM Goldtone with white


  • 6 years ago

    So I liked the suggestions for the terra-cotta colors to compliment the green cushion, but wasn’t brave enough to put it on the walls. Found a rug (which I love!) and some coordinating pillows. Also agreed with the yellow for north facing but yellow is not my favorite. So I thought just a beige. Sampled Grant Beige (plus a ton others) and it seemed like the perfect creamy light beige. Painted yesterday and it is super gray :( Do I keep it or continue the search? Earthy colors are what I like but finding one that works in your light is proving to be challenging!

  • 6 years ago

    I also thought doing the trim and bookcases and walls all the same would make the small room less choppy so got Grant Beige in satin enamel for trim and bookcases. Bad idea?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    It's so important to feel peaceful and truly at home in your space. Did you know there are specific colors that promote peaceful feelings and can help reduce daily stress? Check out my latest blog on stress relieving colors and how they can improve your life!


Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH