Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

The dreaded Mosaic virus

Looks like two or three of my amaryllis bulbs have the Mosaic virus. Here are photos of my Aphrodite. And I was so looking forward to seeing it again next year as the bulb had a healthy increase in size. Oh well---live and learn. I've thrown out this bulb, pot and all.

(Photos in next post as Houzz doesn't want to post my pictures. Probably size issue.)

Comments (15)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are some photos:

Original Author
    4 years ago

And more:

Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Goodbye Aphrodite! Hopefully I will find another one.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    4 years ago

What a beauty. I got an Aphrodite bulb last year at one of the fancier garden centers. It bloomed big, beautiful flowers around Christmas. In May, I put it outside for the summer and it actually bloomed out there too!

I hope you are able to find another one as well!

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sounds like you found a great bulb! Two blooming periods within six months! I didn't even think the bulb was capable of that!

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

What a shame, Aphrodite is so pretty! I hope you can find another one, too.

Thanks for sharing what that virus looks like because I didn't know that's something to watch out for on Amaryllis.

I'm also amazed at getting a rebloom so soon. I have trouble getting them to bloom at all after the first time. I'm trying to do better with mine this year. I don't care when they bloom, but I'd like at least once a year.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Sandyslopes, I didn't see your post. I think the key to getting it to rebloom is to fertilize and give them some sun. When grown inside, the leaves are thinner and longer,. When I put the pot outside, the leaves get stronger and a bit shorter. Any idea whether you will get a bloom this year yet?

My amaryllis pots are inside and pretty much dormant now. I have checked on them periodically. I have now found another amaryllis with a hole in it. It looks like damage from the Narcissus Bulb fly. Very discouraging.

All the pots were at the side of my house where they could get some sun. As I see it, I have four choices: (1) don't buy anymore amaryllis, (2) try putting the pot in a different location around my house (not sure that would make a difference), (3) keep the bulb in the house (which I don't think would work very well because my house is quite shaded in the summer season) or (4) purchase the bulb to bloom for the current season and have no expectations of it surviving the following year.

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

Use of a systemic insecticide might help.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks jstropic. Sounds like a good idea! At least it might be possible to stop the dreaded virus.

I just did a google search on this and found a old article from Florida State Horticultural Society that stated:

"a routine insecticide spray program should be followed. Such a program would also be beneficial in removing other insects which may be vectors of other viruses, such as tomato spotted wilt virus, to which Amaryllis plants are susceptible. Insecticides should be applied regularly to outdoor grown Amaryllis and to other ornamental and weed plants growing in close proximity to Amaryllis."

I can't seem to link the article. If you google "A MOSAIC DISEASE OF HYBRID AMARYLLIS CAUSED BY CUCUMBER MOSAIC VIRUS," it should come up.

Well, I've just learned something new today!

Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry to hear that berkeleys. I know it is frustrating to have made the effort and then find out your bulbs have the virus.

• berkeleysgr8
    4 years ago

It's just a good reminder to consistently use a systemic insecticide to prevent the spread of the disease. My own laziness played a role in the problem. Somehow, the virus seems to attack the plants I value most (the ones I can't replace). I'm on vacation next week and I'll throw away the pots of bulbs that have the virus. Hopefully, I don't discover more plants with the virus. It can infect a lot of different plants. I'm concerned about it being passed along to my cymbidium orchids. I have a dozen or so varieties.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked berkeleysgr8
  • Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

I'm so sorry :-((((( but dang it....isn't it always the most rare and irreplaceable ones that get attacked??? GRRRRRRRRRR

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do hope you do not find any more virused plants berkeley. I only have one cymbidium and had not even thought that it could get the virus too!

I agree Fred that the most expensive, irreplaceable or treasured ones are the ones that seem to become virused.

I can't find any place around here where there is an assortment of good amaryllis bulbs. So when I lose one, I probably won't be able to replace it with the same.

• berkeleysgr8
    4 years ago

Newhostalady, unfortunately, tobacco mosaic virus can infect cymbidiums (and so many other plants). I'm hoping that by the end of next summer I'll have culled all of the obviously virused plants... then, I cross my fingers and hope that the remaining plants aren't carriers that just aren't showing obvious signs. :(

Fred, I think TMV and narcissus bulb flies both somehow know which plants are most valuable! LOL

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked berkeleysgr8
Sponsored
More Discussions