Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda117117

Saw these growing wild.....

Linda
4 years ago

Can anyone tell me what these are? (red) I initially thought burning bush, but they are growing wild on a road I was traveling on yesterday. (Zone 5b)

Comments (20)

• Linda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Interesting, I just read this. I had a burning bush for years, it didnt look like this, it just got huge. We would cut it in half and it could come right back. I've never seen it grow like this, wild. Invasive or not, it looks gorgeous.

• J Williams
    4 years ago
  • User
    4 years ago

If you frequently trimmed your burning bush, it would have responded by getting denser, and you probably didn't get to appreciate the "open" branch structure that it has when left alone. Pretty shrub indeed (although only in the fall) - pity indeed that it is invasive.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

They don’t look like anything the rest of the year tho.

• Linda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

J Williams, you are right, but I LOVED the way it looked in the woods. Its was stunning. I want to plant them in my woods just for this! LOL

• J Williams
    4 years ago

There are lots and lots of shrubs that turn nice colours, flower, have fruit and less weird structure to them.

• dbarron
    4 years ago

And please if your heart is set on an eounymus, try the natives versus the invasive. The color is good there also.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

Please use native Euonymus or blueberries/Vaccinium or Fothergilla or one of the native azaleas or one of the native Viburums. All have nice fall color, either red or orange, and they don’t cause the problem that the burning bush dowith displacing native plants and not feeding native critters. They mostly also have decorative flowers and/or berries or colored twigs or some combination that makes them interesting for a much longer season than the burning bush Euonymus.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

you will get better recommendations... if you give us a big city name ....

z5 alone is about half the US.. and very divergent ...

as well as suggestions of possible natives in your area ...

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

as to form ....

many understory trees and shrubs ... also grow in full sun ... and might look different in each ...

part of what you are seeing.. might be the effect growing in shade .... a much more open form... to use the available light ...

and also ... commercially grown plants are shaped.. or sheared.. not only for uniformity at point of sale ...... but also for shipping purposes ...

so we can NOT rule out a suggested ID.... based on form alone ....

and finally ... note that thru creative pruning .... rather than shearing... you can create any look/form you want .....

ken

ps: just dont plant the invasive one.. please ....

• Embothrium
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Photo in your original post shows exactly why it is not desirable to plant this species in your area.

• Linda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The photo is beautiful Embothrium. Thats not the reason not to plant it. If its invasive, thats a reason.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

He meant that the prevalence of these shrubs to spring up wherever the birds may carry the seeds to - which the photo amply indicates - is the reason why not to plant. The photo is a clear indication of this shrub's invasive tendencies.

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    4 years ago

Invasive plant are much better than no plants at all.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Not true windberry.

You should come here and see how invasive plants like this Euonymus alata are wiping out all the spring ephemerals. Along with that plant from hell, the forests are also being choked to death by non native bush honeysuckles and buckthorns, Japanese honeysuckles, callary pear, privets, oriental bittersweet, garlic mustard, motherwort, elaeagnus, black locust, ect, ect. Check yourself from now on. Do you want to live without some of these?

http://www.indefenseofplants.com/blog/2015/3/12/an-extinction-in-chicago

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    4 years ago

Come on, it is not fault of "invasive" plants that conditions for natives become less and less suitable.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

It is when the invasive exotic shrubs are the cause of the deterioration in conditions for the native wildflowers.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Usually they are more aggressive and outcompete everything, hence “invasive”, they are like terminator plants. They also make people complacent, because they fill up a space, but they may offer very little value to surrounding wildlife.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

" Come on, it is not fault of "invasive" plants that conditions for natives become less and less suitable. "

LOL! It certainly is! That's the entire threat behind the proliferation of non-native invasive species. They spread so aggressively and often far more rapidly than natives and out-compete and overwhelm them. It is their presence that makes the conditions less suitable.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus