Software
Houzz Logo Print
trinhha

Kitchen layout challenges

6 years ago

We have 3 layouts (pros and cons) and need your help to vote which one is the best look and function.

Kitchen area is 18’7” x 11’9” and has one side open to family room area 18’7” x 13’7”.

We don’t want to extend the kitchen area due to the structure involved.

First layout


First doorway 48” and second door way 28”

Refrigerator 36” and cooktop 36” upper cabinets next to hood 18”

Island 4’x7’


pro: don’t have to move the sink and dishwasher

cons: open the second doorway and sink window


2nd layout


Oven 30”

window 33”

upper cabinets next to the window 24”

Pros:don’t have to open a sink window

Cons: move sink and dishwasher to the island And open second doorway


3rd layout


Pros: don’t have to open second door way and sink window

Cons: move sink and dishwasher to the island.

Thank you

Comments (10)

  • 6 years ago

    Could you keep the clean-up zone under the window and add a prep sink to the island? Then put the ovens on the same wall as the fridge and cooktop, with an appliance garage in the corner, similar to first 3 pics below.



    trinhha thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    first - because of the window mostly. I vote for natural light anytime. if this layout keeps the plumbing in the same spot, it will be the less expensive choice. but to improve this layout I would put the glass front cabinets by the sink, showing off dishes and glassware. no one will have to ask where they are. nothing I use by my cookstove is worth being shown off. I want spices, oils, whatever behind closed doors. I would also move the double ovens to where you have the refrigerator keeping all the cooking on that wall. why do you have a second door? eliminating the small one will give the kitchen more storage and counter space. I would move the refrigerator to the opposite side of the kitchen where you have the double ovens in the 3rd option. I'm assuming that is the side open to the family room since there are drawers that side of the island. having the refrigerator closest to the family room keeps people out of your work area if the just want to get a drink. I also suggest getting a french door or bottom freezer fridge instead of a side by side. they have a lot more usable space inside. water and ice makers are nice but cause their own problems. more expensive, messier and just something else to breakdown.

    Friendship Renovation · More Info


    Traditional Grey Herringbone Kitchen · More Info


    From Tired Trad to Terrific in Clarendon Hills · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Hi Cheryl,

    i forgot to mention that my kitchen ceiling height is 11’ and there is a rectangular window (size 9’x1.5’) on top of existing sink cabinet. should I open another sink window (size 33” to 36”) i concern about the look.

    the second doorway to make the kitchen look Floating between the kitchen and dinning area. But this idea is still in consideration because when The second door way is opened I need to relayout the ceiling lights of the dinning room

    please advice. Thanks

  • 6 years ago

    I would nix the second doorway in whichever plan you choose.

    trinhha thanked lizziesma
  • 6 years ago

    Absolutely do the window.

    No second doorway.

    trinhha thanked ccwatters
  • 6 years ago

    Number two, but add a window!

    trinhha thanked Sammy
  • 6 years ago

    Since this is a remodel. Could you post your current layout. Add some pictures and show a general floor plan of how it relates to the rest of the house? It needs to work with your whole house

    trinhha thanked Cheryl Smith
  • 6 years ago

    Hi Cheryl





  • 6 years ago

    I'd rather not have a dinky little 28" door opening and have more counter/cabinet space.

    trinhha thanked Midwest (4b IA)