Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_1672714

Bathroom remodel sanity check

Brian Larsen
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi everyone.

We recently bought an apartment in a building from 1890. Before we move in, we'd like to redo the bathroom since we have two months overlap with our old apartment.

The room is long and narrow at 155 x 60 inches with a 47 inch section and a window at the end of the room (metric measurements in the floor plan below).

My dear wife has the following requirements for the remodel: a bathtub, subway tile, beige marble (or marble look tile) floor and a wide vanity. Especially the bathtub complicates things a bit, but I've found a few 47" models, so the idea is to place that at the narrow section under the window and move the washer to the kitchen. As for the subway tile, we're thinking to only do that on the wall with the shower vanity as illustrated below. I was afraid of the small room looking a bit too clinical, but I am open to suggestions.

The tile, floor and sink was just what room sketcher has available, not the actual items. Heating will be in the floor.

Does this seem like a sane layout or are there something we're not thinking about or something we can do better?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO a 47” tub is completely useless unless your wife is 4.5’ tall you have to have a 60” space for a tub to make sense So from the original drawing the only place for the tub is the space at the left that is 60” wide so the toilet will need to be moved and the shower drain also moved along with the drain for the tub somehow done We had to drop the ceiling below our bathroom in our 1905 house so we could actually put the toilet where we wanted and add a shower that becam an issue in our kitchen which we had to come up with some magic solution to incluse the drop ceiling. What you have illustrated is a wet room which now opens a whole other can of worms . You really need a designer and a plumber right now to tell you what is even possible Could you post a to scale floor plan of the whole floor plan and I just realized this is an apartment so messing with the plumbing needs premission to even begin

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

Woah, Nellie....The door opens onto the toilet?

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

It took me a moment to realize that the plan is in German (?). We are not looking at a BAD PLAN, we are looking at a bath(room) plan.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

I like the little tub and shower with the glass panel design. It suits the scale of the bathroom, makes use of a not-so-useable bump-out, and looks slick!

• kariyava
    4 years ago

A tiny tub works if it is a Japanese soaking tub (very deep and meant for you to sit in, not recline in). It looks like the room is already a wet room, but be mindful that keeping it that way will involve a lot of waterproofing and tile, which means more money of course!

In terms of other things to consider re the layout, my first thought when I looked at the current plan is how is anyone supposed to enter the room with the toilet right in front of the door? It looks like you are keeping the toilet in the same position with your current layout, which I would not do. If I were you, I would drop the tub, put the shower in the space where you wanted to put the tub, and move the toilet in between the vanity and the shower.

• Brian Larsen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately I can not move the toilet, we are on the 3rd floor and the plumbing is shared with the other floors. I can run some water/drain to the tub under the floor and in the walls but moving the tube for toilet waste will be impossible. I am looking at tubs that are thin walled (little over 1 inch) and about 58 cm tall. Japanese soaking tub would be an option if I can find one here in Denmark.

• Brian Larsen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Btw I would drop the tub if it was just me but it’s a firm demand from the wife.

• Brian Larsen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The toilet door situation is not as bad as the drawing makes it seem, this is how it currently looks

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

Could you put the bathroom entrance door on the other half of the wall (presumably facing the hallfway)? ANYTHING but where it is?

Could you extend the counter so you'd have a shelf from the sink to all the way across the top of the toilet (get rid of the wall)? Then put a combination washer/dryer under the shelf. If not across the top of the toilet, just up to the dividing wall. The room would then be more spacious and less oppressive, plus you'd have way more space for bathroom-y things, fresh towels, etc..

• Nancy in Mich
    4 years ago

Have you checked into whether you can move the radiator (heater) from under the window? It will have to move if your wife's tub is going there.

Here is a Houzz article on Japanese soaking tubs, maybe you can find something in it. Lots of nice pictures.10 Japanese Soaking Tubs

• Brian Larsen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nancy: yes we'll fully remove the radiator and install heating in the floor instead as per our contractors suggestion. The only problem with the Japanese style tubs are that they seem impossible to find around here and I might have to check if I can find one in a nearby country.

• PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Building a bathroom is more than just putting a toilet, a sink, a tub and a shower in a space and saying “done”. Your sketch shows the toilet practically in the doorway and a large empty wasted space in the far end.
    First, you need a realistic budget and the money in the bank. (If you charge everything on your credit card and don’t pay the bill in full every month, you will throw away a lot of money on interest.). Then you will need to plan a layout within the allotted space. The bathroom door is best opened into the space rather than into the hall. If a tub is planned and you are both physically fit, a tub/shower combo takes up less space. Some people have an issue with climbing into the tub for a shower. You will want to add safety handle bars. You will need a sink in a vanity with some storage. If there is space, you can store towels and supplies in a separate cabinet. The toilet will be moved away from the door. Plumbing, water supply and waste lines will be moved and rearranged. The floor and the shower surround will need to be made properly waterproof. The electrical supply and lighting may need to be updated and moved.
    If you are unfamiliar with remodeling and bathroom design, you may need some help, including a bathroom designer, a plumber, electrician, tile installer and maybe a contractor. You will need permits from local authorities. Be sure you select non-slippery tile for the flooring, shower floor and a non-slip finish in the tub. Allow space for hanging towels near where they will be needed. It may take up to two months before you can say “done” if everyone is coordinated well. Do you have a second bathroom for the duration of the project?

• Brian Larsen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

fellzlady: thanks for the input. We have a second apartment for 2 months, so hopefully the work can be done in that time. We have a company on hand for doing the actual work, including tile, plumbing and electrical, but not a designer.

Budget is around $30000 which we have, but this is Denmark and everything is expensive, so it's not that much.

We are both physically fit and young (ish). The toilet can't be moved, but it's seriously not as much of a problem as the diagram makes it seem. I'll try and get a better picture of the actual space.

• Brian Larsen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Still need a glass divider between shower and vanity, and the rain shower, but corona delayed everything.

• vlance
    3 years ago

nice

• waw722
    3 years ago

I’m glad I read to the bottom of the chain to see your finished bathroom. Congratulations on completing it during these trying times.

What a transformation! I think the layout works well, even if the toilet location isn’t ideal. I love the uncluttered view through the room to the window. The subway tile is beautiful.

Stay well and enjoy your new home!

• anne mcmanus
    3 years ago

Very nice! You had a lot of challenges and while the toilet placement is not ideal, you made everything work! I love the finishes! Congratulations!

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Agreed! It is a comfortable and pleasant room. I like the stacked tile. The tub is quite inviting.

• Wendy Rice
    3 years ago

looks great. Are you pleased with it now that it has been a couple of months? Anything you wish you had done different?