Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

OT: A visitor to my garden

This little doe just showed and started munching away happily. I was able to catch her (after quite a bit of time of crawling around on all fours with a handful of alfalfa pellets, lol!) If any neighbors were watching me, I’m sure they are quite certain now that I’m insane, if they didn’t think so already. But I was afraid a predator might get her if I left her out there.

Im hoping maybe someone could help me identify her breed?

Many thanks!


Comments (18)

  • 6 years ago

    It's very cute. I think it is cottontail rabbit. We have two types here in Fl and one of them is above. The other is Marsh rabbit but it might also be released into wild which dont surprised me. At first i thought it was rex rabbit but definitely it is domestic. What do you think?




    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Yes, I think she’s definitely domesticated. And friendly. I don’t think could’ve caught a wild one.

    She just came bounding right up to my two cats, as if to greet them, so I think she’s from a household where she had cat siblings. My cats have never seen a rabbit, I’m pretty sure, and were completely freaked out by this behavior. They don’t want anything to do with the crazy cat-loving bunny, lol! :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Way too cute. Are you keeping it ?


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    She looks sooo soft! She look a little rough so maybe she's been on her own a while. Maybe the SPCA/animal shelter can help identify her breed.



    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked suncoastflowers
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    My what big ears you have little bunny! ♡

    She's so cute! I think she must be a pet that got out if she isnt afraid of cats. You should probably keep her or something will kill her. Make her a rabbit hutch in the shade with a partially wire bottom so the bunny berries can fall out and you can use them in your garden. You can even stick a rubbermaid tub under the hutch to catch the berries then dump them right in the flowerbeds. You can also compost them if you would rather. Bunnies like Timothy hay and alfalfa pellets.

    Im thinking she may be a Rex, a New Zealand, or a Palamino or mix of one of those. You can look them up and see what you think lol.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    Someone may be looking for her, might want to call around to vet hospitals, check neighborhood FB pages and things. Bunnies can be litter box trained too. Cutie!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • 6 years ago

    Super cute! She looks a lot like either a Creme d’Argent or Palomino.
    https://cremedargent.weebly.com
    http://www.palominorabbits.org

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks to everyone—-so, we’ve been investigating, and it looks like we may have traced her back to someone in the neighborhood, but they’ve moved away.

    So we may have adopted a new bunny! We’re taking her to the vet to see if she has a chip, just to cover all the bases.

    I did some research, and was leaning towards Palamino, or a mix. Now researching bunny hutches, lol. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    I hope you get to keep it lol. If its a female it could be preggo, they often are lol. Even out running around a wild rabbit could have mated her.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    It does look like Palamino or mix. Good call Stephanie.

    Wish you luck and i hope it goes all well.

    Lets us know what information you get like age and chip or no chip.....


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Hmm...I hope she’s not pregnant. I hadn’t thought of this until now, but I hope she didn’t have a litter somewhere that I took her away from. Are there any signs that she’s pregnant or nursing? :-)

  • 6 years ago

    So cute! We had a bun that hopped into our yard and stayed for a while too, but it didn’t get along with the cat. They are easy to litter box trail though if you keep it inside.


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • 6 years ago

    Amanda and Jasmin, they all look alike to me. So cute and must be soooo soft to touch.


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you so much Sultry, Amanda, and Jin! I will update with what we find out. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Jin, this bunny is super soft—like velvet!

    Sultry, I keep pouring over your bunny photos—-they are sooo cute! You have so many adorable baby bunny shots! I’m reading that they don’t really like heat...but yours are doing ok with deep shade?

    (I did a more thorough investigation of the bunny—I think it’s getting used to me & let me check its belly, and now I’m thinking she’s a he, lol! Good thing the name we gave him is Butterscotch—works both ways! :-)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    They are okay in deep deep shade with very good ventilation. They can handle a lot of cold in the winter too (our kind of cold lol) and like it. Summers are harder but they do okay. Wild rabbits live outside in the summer and they arent all dead! They thrive here in Florida. They shed some of their coats and grow them back in fall.

    Make sure they get lots of fresh cool water. I also keep 2 liter soda bottles, filled with H2o in the freezer and put one in their hutches if its gonna be especially hot. They will lay near them if they are too hot.

    Some people give bunnies a frozen treat once in a while. You can look up recipes online. Beware of giving them too much of the fruits that are high in sugar.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    She's very pretty. I'm sure you'll give her a good home :) I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owners let her loose intentionally. It happens very frequently after bunnies are gifted for Easter and then people get tired of caring for the adult rabbit. One thing to be aware of is that female rabbits develop uterine cancer extremely commonly and must be spayed to protect against it. It can be pricey but worth it as the odds are very high. If it's a male then fixing him will protect against urine spraying. Good luck!

    -Chris

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)