Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_850784321

Lighting in loft kitchen

claudia
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've been on Houzz for months paring down choices for lighting for my high-ceiling loft galley kitchen. The old, Tech Lighting track kit is too large, old and the wrong finish (looking to replace current stainless with brass or white). Current has 5 halogen lights that really work well, but it's ugly and hard to maintain. What lumens will work to replace the halogen fixture? I need good lighting can bounce light off walls. There is very little quality lighting in my loft. Should I consider a track kit or replace with a decorative kitchen counter light with 4-5 lights? Unfortunate I can't put recessed light (budget of $600 or less?) Any recommendations?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Have you checkout the LED replacements for the halogens get 4000K ones we did this all through our house I have no idea what Tech track you have but the hreads are easily replaced If you post a picture of the space you might get better answers.

claudia thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • claudia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you! yes, I did look into replacing the heads, problem is, they are stainless and rest of kitchen is brass lighting. I'm still going to price out the heads as you suggested.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Have you looked at Tech cable lighting that is the way I would go

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

post a picture please, rail kit not track kit most likely, and you can also lower down via brackets to get the light closer.

• claudia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will post pic tomorrow morning with better light

• PRO
    4 years ago

This is the system I like for high ceilings it allows the light to be brought down to human scale and not be overpowering the bottom one is true Kabel from Tech and the other is a modern take on track light

• claudia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love them! My heating ducts are stainless just like the pics. Can I mix my metals? Thank you for the suggestions. Here's my current lighting situation - throws ample light against ceiling and walls, but all bulbs except one are out.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Of course you can mix metals and Tech has tons of choices for heads and even if it says MR16 for the bulb you can use LED replacements no problem we replaced all of our halogen bulbs with repacement LEDs I like them in 4000K BTW.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I would start by saying you might be able to reuse that rail, but its deceiving I can't really tell.. I think one shot of cable run lengthwise would be awesome you can also do a 2 circuit cable or rail kit and get more out of it as far as setting the tone. Go to a mom and pop or local lighting store to get the best help with this Or take way more pictures and I can help you.

• claudia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, ladies! I'm attaching more photos. I like the high lumens on the track system/rail kit. I did go to my local lighting store but I didn't get much help. My budget was around $400 but I think the kits cost $1K. I might save up for it since it's the last piece of lighting for the space and next phase is painting doors and purchasing a runner. I had discussed with a lighting friend and we thought it wasn't worth re-using since we would have to paint. So, I'm back at looking at the kit and corresponding parts.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

it is absolutely worth reusing! save you 1000$