Software
Houzz Logo Print
summer_z6a

See here! My oops baby!

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I received this lovely yellow rose as a "MAC". Please help me to find her real name. Thank you.



Comments (28)

  • 6 years ago

    It survived last winter in a protected spot in zone 5a PA.

  • 6 years ago

    Is there any fragrance?

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    What a beauty! I really don't know, but Lunar Mist is a wonderful hardy yellow sport of Colette I had briefly in z 3 Alaska which was too cold for it.

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    OMG ! That is gorgeous. I hope someone knows what it is. Love it.


    summersrhythm_z6a thanked suebelle_neworleans
  • 6 years ago

    Where did you get it from summers ? That can help us check out their inventory. If I get a wrong rose , usually it’s very close in the starting letter of the name . For example I ordered pearlie Mae once and got something else that began with a p but wasn’t it ...

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 6 years ago

    This is beautiful, sorry I don"t know it"s name! But I hope someone will find it for you!

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked mjkjrobinson
  • 6 years ago

    What a beauty!!

    I am bad in ID's but hoping someone will help. Lily is right about which nursery you got it from ? I hope you can post more pics and also a full shot. Is it a climber ? Does it has fragrance, how big are the blooms, pics of leaves........

    I dont know why it looks so much like DA rose to me but whatever it is a beautiful.

    Adding to Lily's recommendation i would also look at yellow colour in that nursery.





    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Possibly Moonlight Romantica? I got it this past spring, 2019, and am greatly impressed with it so far.....vigorous, fragrant, generous of bloom, and black spot resistant among the best, but not Knock Out level. Going by its growth, it wants to be a tall rose, not bolt upright, but bushy and big.


    Moses

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6
  • 6 years ago

    Lily is right about the incorrect roses getting mixed up w a close name. I once ordered Maman Cochet from RVR and got the wrong rose which turned out to be Mrs Woods' Lavender-Pink Noisette. They were both M's anyways lol.

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thanks guys! I got this pretty rose from Joy Creek Nursery. The owner was very nice, she tried to help, but since she ordered roses from other place it was hard. I looked through all the roses on their list, but couldn't find anything close. It has some lovely fragrance. It has more yellow and petals than Moonlight Romantica.

  • 6 years ago

    I looked through them also and found only one, but it wasn't it by a long shot. I wonder if it was leftover from a prior year. It does have the look of an Austin. How large is the flower?

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for looking through them. It's about 3.5", a good sized bloom.

  • 6 years ago

    Kinda reminds me of DA's Happy Child rose. I suppose Joy Creek doesn't sell that one though. Its really pretty, whatever it is.

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    The pilgrim? Off season coloring?

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Rockridge Rose
  • 6 years ago

    Graham Thomas?


    summersrhythm_z6a thanked kathyc_z10_socal
  • 6 years ago

    Lunar Mist? Diane

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • 6 years ago

    When was this picture taken, Summers? I think Graham Thomas is a possibility. GT normally doesn’t have that many petals but can in the spring and fall. It is also like Happy Child. Both GT and HC are non fading yellows unlike many othe yellow. GT is definitely more common. Both have fairly glossy foliage, HC more so.

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Dave5bWY
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks guys for the input! :-) The photo was taken on Oct 25th this year. The closes lookalike is Happy Child after comparing with all the ones have been mentioned. But it doesn’t look like Happy Child, just by looking at the shape of bloom, and the petals position, mine is more flat with wild gathering, and more petals, plus it has lighter yellow than Happy Child. I think it looks like an old garden tea rose....... I have a rose book somewhere with lots of pics, have to find it. Keep the ideas coming. a group work indeed. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Old garden tea rose ? Now, i am wondering what could it be ?


    summersrhythm_z6a thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Summersrhythm, can you post any photos of foliage, thorns, etc.? Given the time of year, I'm guessing that may not be possible but just thought I'd ask.

    -Chris

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thanks Chris. I am there on the weekends, I will see if there are any leaves left. Will report back.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks. The color looks alike, but the bloom shape and the petals are different, mine is round with a lot of tiny petals. I just went through a book called Old Roses and English Roses, but I didn’t see anything there to tag this rose. Now I am checking on Encyclopedia of Roses. Will report back if I find anything.

  • 6 years ago

    Comtesse, thanks for posting about Madame la Duchesse d'Auerstad! Its one I didnt know about. I will be hunting that down this spring. I love yellow tea/noisettes that get big :)


    summersrhythm_z6a thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    Comtesse, Madame (wish her name was shorter) is a stunning rose. Thanks for the link. Diane

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • 6 years ago

    Check out all the photos of Molineux It has extremely variable coloring and your comment of lots of tiny petals gathered in a wild way on a round bloom rings true. And it starts with “M“ like the good Madame ;)

    summersrhythm_z6a thanked littlesmokie
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks. :-) The outer petals of mine stay as a cup, won't open up though. Molineux"s outer petals open up.