Software
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Hope everyone is well

6 years ago

Hey everyone! Been gone for forever it seems. I had three or four months, ( would have to check calendar for to be certain ) of doctor, physical therapy, ect. Then after I was finally done with that, my health just bothered me real good and had no energy. Then once I started feeling better, I've been trying to play catch up in the yard. The only good news I have is after the sarcoidosis got worse, scared my lungs alittle, and for some reason, which they haven't said why, I'm losing oxygen , while I walk, but not enough to warrant putting me on oxygen, the sarcoidosis is now gone from my lungs, is what this last ct showed. Pulmonary doctor wants to be certain, it's not traveling to another body part, which it sometimes can, but it is gone from lungs. I've had it 7 years or so. Anyway, I also have some other autoimmune issues going on, but not certain of those until I see rheumatologist. I see them at the end of December. So it will be after that that we learn something. Anyways, I'm so glad to be working outside again. I have so much winter work to catch up on, but wanted to say hey to everyone here.

Comments (22)

  • 6 years ago

    So glad to hear from you, and glad the sarcoidosis has left your lungs. Good luck with the Rheumatologist. Our plants offer us so much support.

    Alana8aSC thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Shelia! That they sure do! I 100% agree with that.

  • 6 years ago

    So glad to see your post here. I've been wondering about you and keeping you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated!

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Great to hear from you, Alana! Wishing you good Dr. visits this month. Glad you are getting energy back. Just take it easy on yourself as you jump back in (I need to take my own advice, lol) and enjoy your garden. :-)

    Alana8aSC thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Alana, that must be really scary experience. Just take things slowly. I would follow Perma's advice.

    Your next appointment is around the corner. Cross fingers all turn out well :))

    Alana8aSC thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    So glad to see your posts again! Hope everything goes well this month!

    Alana8aSC thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 6 years ago

    Alana, it's good to hear from you. I'm so glad you are feeling a little better!

    Alana8aSC thanked Kes Z 7a E Tn
  • 6 years ago

    My goodness Alana, I'm so sorry to hear about all your health issues! It sounds like you're keeping in good spirits through this all, and I'm glad you have chimed back in to let us know about your progress. We send you warm wishes, and virtual roses in these cold months as you're recovering your health. Do take it easy and don't push things too far too fast.

    Thinking of you

    Cynthia

    Alana8aSC thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 6 years ago

    Alana, I was wondering why you are not posting...so good to see you back! Please stay comfortable and take care of yourself! The immune system always responds favorably (relatively speaking) from a state of peace and happiness and gets derailed and aggravated from stress and sadness.

    Alana8aSC thanked katyajini
  • 6 years ago

    Best wishes, Alana. I am so glad to hear that things seem to be going better and hope they will continue to improve. Isn't it wonderful to be able to get back out to one's garden after a period of illness? I'm still trying to catch up after being out of commission for health reasons for a long time. But I'm also finding it an opportunity to review certain things: renew some, and totally change others. Best of luck, dearie!

    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you everyone! I have actually learned my body pretty well., finally. How much to do and not over do it. The doctor and the physical therapy honestly is what finally triggered, near the end. Actually I think it was when I was finished. Some weeks the only break I had were the weekend. It was exhausting!

    Yoga is what started improving my lung function before the sarcoidosis left. I have been doing that for the last year and a half. Never overdoing it. Mostly restorative. I found some videos I liked and sticked with them. Still at the very beginning of most. I have a few different ones I do. If that tells you anything about how slow I've been doing it.

    I also changed my diet, before the yoga. Stopped drinking soft drinks, cut out most sugar. Try to eat as natural as I can, drink nothing but water, with hot tea at night and 100% juice with no added sugar in the morning. Just a little. I also cut out dairy and cheese, not completely, but sure don't eat it often. I fast some as well. Although some count my little bit of juice as messing up my fasting, I don't care, I just do the best I can.

    I have lost 60lbs in the last year and a half. Slowly but surely! Proud of myself!

    I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!

    I saw where you're working hard outside Melissa, with your trees and such and applaud your efforts!

    The only thing I still do, that is bad for my immune system is stress. Though I try my best not to. The yoga helps some with that.

    Lupus is what they thought I had before the sarcoidosis, and that's what showing up again in bloodwork now, twice. Along with symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome. Will wait for the ruemotoligist for the diagnosis.

    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have missed here as well!

  • 6 years ago

    Alana. so good to see you posting again, you have been missed.

    Health issues can really slow you down. Your mind says to get out in the yard and your body says no way Jose. I am glad that you are getting some relief with the diet and yoga

    I pray for continued healing.

    Alana8aSC thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 6 years ago

    Really glad you're starting to feel better, Alana! Do yourself a favor and have them check your hemoglobin levels. it took my doctors a year to figure out that one on me when my oxygen levels went down. Turns out my level was at 5 and normal is like 14! If that's it it is easy ti fix too.

    Alana8aSC thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks to you both!


    Seil I looked at my blood work and hemoglobin is good. 13.6 and 13.8.

  • 6 years ago

    Alana, I'm sorry you've had these health problems, but am glad to hear that you're taking care of yourself and getting better. I hope you get back soon to your garden, which has always sounded particularly wonderful to me, and to a fuller engagement with your life.

    Alana8aSC thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 6 years ago

    I'm back to the garden now, and enjoying it so much! I've missed it so!


    KS I do that some too! The forum does get you tempted to get more! :) I love my yoga, I went outside and missed doing it today, but plan on getting up early and doing some in the morning!


    Thank you both for your kind thoughts!

  • 6 years ago

    Congratulations on developing a system that builds your overall health and peace of mind with diet and yoga and gardening and other good things that you do for yourself. Having responses to poor health that make you feel better and are good for you are great ways to combat the kinds of helplessness that can come with health issues. Everything you're doing involves things that would help us all be healthier so you're setting us a good challenge. Congrats also on the 60 pounds! Talk about reducing yet another potential source of stress.

    Let me know if your symptoms you mentioned actually turn out to be Sjogrens. My mother had it and I was developing a lot of symptoms of it, so I got a fairly specific text that was recommended for me about symptoms and treatments for Sjogrens. It turns out I don't have that syndrome but a different one (namely ankylosing spondylatis) so I don't need that text. Drop me an email if you'd like me to send you that book. I know you have my email and I have your address so I'd be happy to send it along.

    Keep up the good work!

    Cynthia

    Alana8aSC thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you Cynthia!

    I would like to lose a few more pounds, not much more really, but every time I start losing anymore my husband start pushing food toward me. He says if I lose anymore there won't be anything left. Lol! He is silly! I've plenty left! I told him he has got to let me do me, I ferl so much better! I reminded him I of how small I was when we met, and he said that was why he was always trying to feed me then , SMH at him!

    The yoga really has helped alot, even before This last ct showed the sarcoidosis gone, it improved my lung function on my breathing test before . I'm staying positive, even if I do get diagnosed with lupus, I will continue doing as I'm doing, I refuse to let a disease be who I am. It has took a long time to get to this point, but I'm glad I made it here. Yes there are times I will have to rest, but I know as long as I never have that much doctor again, I was good at keeping up with everything, until one day my body said, no more , take it easy, and I know as long as I don't have so much doctor and physical therapy and all back to back like that, along with the kids and their dads appointments too, I know I will be fine. Whew! That was alot to get out! I know that was arun on sentence , sorry!

    Anyways, I will be sure to let you know about the Sjogren's Syndrome.

  • 6 years ago

    I’m glad to hear from you, Alana! I wondered why we hadn’t heard from you lately. I’m glad you’re doing better, and pray you will continue to improve. Those autoimmune disorders seem to be tricky to diagnose. Oddly, I too was initially thought to have Sjogren’s after a mouth biopsy. Somehow, they later ruled it out, and finally found MS.

    I know how hard stress is on these illnesses. I have the biggest problems dealing with stress. It sounds like you’re doing all the right things, and your hard work is paying off. Have a wonderful Christmas, and a happy New Year! ♥️Lisa

    Alana8aSC thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Yes Lisa! They sure can be tricky to diagnose. You really have to be having a flare or your blood work won't show up right.

    I did lose 5 roses, that were in pots, something wrong with potting soil, different soil than I usually get. It looked dry on top but was wet underneath. I hope I caught them early enough, and got them in the ground. I had them in pots to get good roots to plant in fall. They were suckers from a friend and growing well. As soon as I noticed they were declining I put them in the ground and found out what was wrong. Praying I get some growth in Spring. Three were most important. And then I had tags fade too ‍♀️I thought I had rewrote them, and I guess because I thought I had done it , it slipped my mind. You know how those flare go sometimes, and how bad they get you when they hit.

    Sorry for talking your ear off!

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year as well!


    That was a hand slapping face, then it turned into a stick figure when it posted! Lol

    Edited to add

  • 6 years ago

    Alana, congrats on turning things around for yourself with yoga, diet changes and losing so much weight. That's a huge accomplishment on its own so you should be proud. All the changes are things everyone should probably incorporate in their life anyway, so it's wonderful you can now pass on these good habits to your kids and hopefully your DH will get on board. I'm sure he doesn't mean to sabotage your efforts, but it's sometimes hard to accept change. Hopefully, he'll see how much better you feel and come around. It's amazing how seemingly simple changes can affect one's overall health and ability to navigate the world. Keep it up!!! : D

    I'm rooting for your rootings! I'm sure they're happy to be in the ground. Did your pots have good drainage? Were they raised up? Has it been cold there? I had a similar thing happen with Margo Koster and Barcelona so I've added more perlite to those I'm overwintering as their roots had rotted. Unfortunately, I put in too much last year and had to constantly babysit them watering. I think poor drainage with colder weather was the culprit as it led to saturated cold soil. That same mix was fine over a hot summer, however. I'm anxious to hear what roses you are adding, but realize it's probably an effort to write as much as you have. Stay well. I'm praying for good results from your tests. : ))