Software
Houzz Logo Print
audrey_gw

Universal TV remote doesn't work.

6 years ago

The remote we usually use for our TV disappeared at Thanksgiving. So I bought a universal one, but can't get any of the codes to entirely work for our older Sanyo TV (DS24425). Some of the codes will allow me to turn the TV on and off and raise and lower the volume. They also will let me punch in the numbers for the channels, but then the TV doesn't actually go to any of those channels.


It may have something to do with the way my late mother set up the TV, so that the VCR (now DVD player) is on Channel 3. I can only get one TV channel by using the channel button which actually is on the TV itself. Yes, I really need to find the original remote, but have looked everywhere with no luck! Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comments (7)

  • 6 years ago

    With the model number of your TV in hand, call tech support for the universal remote you own. I suspect that having difficulty doing the initial set up, so that you have a fully functional connection, is a common challenge for new owners

  • 6 years ago

    How do you get your TV signal? From cable, antenna, ? Presumably connected directly into the TV (not throught the DVD player)?


    Another option is to get an original remote. There is a secondary market and you can find places that sell remotes for all kinds of electronics.

  • 6 years ago

    A belated thanks, everybody, for the advice. I did order a remote supposed to be especially for our TV. After trying it, I found out it had the same limitations that the universal remote did. That's when it finally occurred to me that we do have a digital converter box, so maybe the remote we lost was for that rather than for the actual TV. Duh! Like I said before, electronics are not my strong point. So I'm guessing I'll probably have to order yet another remote, because I don't see anything on the universal one for controlling a digital converter box.

  • 6 years ago

    What are the odds! I was looking for this. Thanks for the thread. Much needed.

  • 6 years ago

    Sometimes it is quite difficult to find the codes for the various TVs if the universal remote control is a cheaper product with a bad manual (or not complete manual). My father-in-law lost also his original remote control for his (old) TV and had an universal remote control at home (also old one haha) and couldn't find the manual. It took me quite a while to find one on the internet. Now it works fine :)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    You can download the application for your smartphone if it has an infrared sensor ...

    For example, I have Xiaomi Redmi Note8 and I use it to easily control the TV

Sponsored
More Discussions