Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momrules5831

Succession Obsession

runninginplace
4 years ago

I finally inhaled a streaming production that isn't over 5 years old and wow, this show!!

Anyone else fascinated by the Roy family and their shenanigans? I was absolutely riveted, and ended up inhaling episodes as fast as I could. The acting, writing, camera work....all of it just amazing.

My one quibble was the profanity. I'm no stranger to salty language, both hearing and speaking it, but my husband does not curse at all and he really dislikes foul language. So of course it seemed like every time he wandered through the room the dialogue featured the F bomb being thrown around, sometimes literally every other word. I actually read one review that made reference the 'florid obscenities' of the show's screenplays.

But overall I thought it was some of the best tv I've ever experienced. Other opinions?

Comments (14)

• Olychick
    4 years ago

What's the show called and where are you streaming it from? I don't know who the Roy family is.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The Roys are fictitious, a riff on the Murdochs with some Sumner Redstone family thrown in the middle for good measure. The show is on HBO.

4 years ago

For anyone interested in a general review/overview of Succession, this one is good and does not have any spoilers.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/succession-only-good-tv-show-hbo-1202181589/

• Olychick
    4 years ago

so it's called succession obsession? Sorry, I'm so dense...I thought that was runnings creative title for indicating she was obsessed with a series and was binge watching them in succession. lol.

4 years ago

The show is called Succession.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Thank you, Zalco! Now I get it (the thread title).

• runninginplace
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oly sorry, yes it was my punny attempt at humor :)

I too love the inner view of the impossibly rich and how they live. Something about the way the show depicts the characters' use of private helicopters and penthouse luxury apartments and country mansions...they are as comfortably at ease as I am sliding into my domestic sedan or walking through the door of my firmly normal home.

Which is of course just a side facet of great dialogue, plotting and acting. They are all such awful human beings. But they are equally compelling to watch as they dance around trying to jockey for the favor of the great white whale of a father. I can't believe how much nuance the actors convey with the lift of an eyebrow or the slight half smile of someone who has just put a knife in a rival's back.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

Yes, I love this show! Kieran Culkin is fabulous as is ever other character. So easy to hate (except for cousin Greg).

• HU-432155661
    4 years ago

This is, without a doubt, our favorite show. It is fabulous, well written, binge worthy. The actor who plays Siobhan ‘s husband, Tom, some people may recognize from the Keira Knightley version of pride and prejudice, as Mr. Darcy. I loved him in that movie, and the characters couldn’t be more different!

• nini804
    4 years ago

What service is it on? I have Apple and Prime and Netflix but the only show I currently watch is The Morning Show (which I adore) but can’t binge it bc it’s new and I have to wait for the episode each week.

4 years ago

Nini, it's on HBO.

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

We love it too! Even though pretty much every character is a terrible person.

• kkay_md
    4 years ago

We love watching this, too. It took us a few episodes to get into the swing of the show, and not be thoroughly disgusted by every character. As the story moves along, the character development does, too. I thought the Season 1 finale was amazing, and reminiscent in some ways of Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy. Just--wow.