FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

hoang_ton

Molineux - 2019 - Zone 8B

Hoang Ton

Pretty in spring, meh in the summer. Flowers are pretty small in the heat. Even the Harlow Carr's blooms were bigger in the heat. It does have a nice bush shape though, and interesting colors.

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

Rose - Molineux · More Info

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Beautiful yellow orange!

Hoang Ton thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Your Molineaux is lovely

Mine has been underwhelming. To be fair it is new. Everyone always raves about their Molineaux so I know that it has the potential to be fabulous.

You saying that yours gets smaller blooms in the heat made me feel better about mine.

How old is yours?

Hoang Ton thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Hoang Ton

Kristine, it was its 1st year from bareroot.

• The Right Roses

Your Molineaux looks stunning.

Hoang Ton thanked The Right Roses
  • Lisa Adams

Very beautiful, Hoang! I really enjoy all the different colors Molineux displays. In your very last photo, Molineux appears to be most yellow. The first several photos show much more color variation. I’m curious as to the different times of year/temps they were taken in. Mine is currently blooming in a very pure yellow color, much like your last photo. It’s been cool and raining here, so maybe heat brings on the more orange tones?

My Molineux has been charming, but mine also has very small blooms during the summer. They also shatter in a day or two when it’s hot and dry out. I forgive Molineux for those faults because it’s always blooming. I purchased Molineux knowing it wasn’t a good rose for cutting, which is unusual for me. I normally choose roses that make good cut flowers, but pictures of Molineux kept captivating me. The promise of remaining small helped me justify the purchase.

Hoang, I love the shape and size of yours. Looking over your various posts, I think you have pruning down to an art. All your rose bushes are so perfectly shaped. I think I ought to learn more about how to prune for shape. Here in So CA, I cut most roses down to the ground (nearly) about this time of year. There’s not a whole lot to shape when I leave only 18” or so. They get way too big if I don’t cut them back that hard. Many still end up needing a mid/late summer pruning to keep them from taking over.

I’m also interested in hearing how old yours is, and if it’s on its own roots, or grafted. Mine is already much larger than anticipated. Once I put it into the ground, it really took off. When it really began to grow, it grew very tall and narrow. It’s now growing a bit wider, but I wasn’t expecting it to reach over 5F tall, as it is now, (second year.) I think mine could use some of Hoang’s skillful shaping.

Kristine, I bet yours will improve with maturity. The blooms really are plentiful and beautiful. Great pictures, Hoang. Thanks for showing them. Lisa

Hoang Ton thanked Lisa Adams
  • Hoang Ton

Hehe Lisa, overtime I have learned to dead head the flowers to where it makes the bush round, i would cut it far down if i must to keep the bush look pretty as a whole. But for something like Molineux or The Poet's Wife, it's easy. As for something like The Ancient Mariner, it's another beast. I'm still learning how to tame that beast to make it looks nice. My Molineux is a 1st year graft bareroot. It didn't seem to want to get big, maybe because it's in the container instead of in the ground.

• Lisa Adams

Thanks, Hoang. That makes perfect sense. I’ve been falling behind in the garden lately, and I’m luck if I have the energy to snap off spent blooms with my finger and thumb. I used to cut deeply into the rose bush when deadheading. I’m going to try to get my Molineux in better form this year. It’s loaded with buds, but they are all on top of the tall, narrow bush.

It looks like I’ll have the opportunity to do some shaping very soon. Molineux is loaded with buds. Thanks, Hoang Ton :-). Lisa

Hoang Ton thanked Lisa Adams
  • Hoang Ton

whoa, urs look so big, wonder if mine would act the same if it's in the ground

• Lisa Adams

I think it’s my zone and my rich clay soil. I try to find roses that “promise” to stay small, but they rarely do. I felt fairly confident that Molineux would stay small for me after seeing so many pictures and comments here. As soon as I put it in the ground it went crazy! This is why I prune most roses down almost to the ground every year. See what I mean about everything growing giant? Lol Lisa

Hoang Ton thanked Lisa Adams