sherrygirl5

A daylilies 2020

sherrygirl zone5 N il

It’s finally time for our winter distraction, the daylily alphabet! Let’s see what you have. The quote for the day: My life is full of ups and downs. I am down for most anything and am usually up to no good!

Anzac blooms in 90% shade, I’ve bragged about this oldie a lot.

Autumn Red, my oldest cultivar, a late midseason bloomer.

Autumn Minaret, definitely my tallest and best bloomer. 500-800 blooms and blooms for at least six weeks.

I found some old paperwork and believe this is Antique Rose.

A Small Multitude was a bonus last season, not sure it’s staying, it hasn’t wowed me. It’s a tallish, small flowered plant so it better be a bloom machine.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

You are Johnny on the spot Sherry with starting this up AND we get the quote of the day too. I like that feature. This one gave me a smile to start off a new year...........I'll post one that's easy access. A pretty color.

Apache Sunrise:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Sherry, I like your quote of the day.

Wow, your Autumn Minaret is amazing. We grow it too but ours isn't as big as yours. Ours was a bonus and I didn't think I would like it (not my favorite color), but since it is so prolific and tall and late, it will have a permanent place in our garden. I tried to breed with it last summer but couldn't get it to set any pods.

We added A Small Multitude last season and it didn't wow me either. I am hoping for better things from it this coming season.

Maryl, your Apache Sunrise is glorious. We tried to grow it here, but it didn't do that well for us.

Here are my A's.

A Man Called Trout is one of our favorite oranges. It rebloomed for us last season too.

A Splash of Wine is not really wine-colored, but it is a vigorous variety. It was a bonus plant and I'm not sure it will stay in the garden. It's nice, but not my favorite color and we just have to downsize.

Adamas is an oldie that we picked up a couple of years ago for 5 dollars. It's too short for our tastes, but is a beautiful color.

Also Known As did very well last year.

Applied Science seems somewhat tender in our garden, but did well enough last season to bloom.

We don't grow many true spiders but Bob had to have Artillery Fire because of how large it is (registered at 44 inches tall with 12 inch flowers)

Asheville Pink Lady will be leaving the garden this spring. It's a pretty flower but we have pinks that have out performed it.

Auriel Dell is a cute tetraploid small flower. It was a bonus from the hybridizer and seems quite vigorous.

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • shive

Thanks for starting this, Sherry! Cute quote to go with the post! Your photos of the very tall, late Autumn Minaret always amaze me. Happy New Year!

Hoosier Nancy - I really like the looks of Splash of Wine and Asheville Pink Lady. It's too bad they don't perform better for you.

Here are some of my A's.

Abilene Lillian

A Little Night Music - Pretty flower, but not a vigorous plant for me.

Allegheny Skyline

August Frost

Always Applique

Absolute Ripper

Applique

Armed to the Teeth

American Doll

All American Chief

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Debra, I always like your Abilene Lillian, so vibrant. Allegheny Skyline caught my eye this morning, I love the blending of the eye on that one.

Maryl, lovely photo of Apache Sunrise, a real eye catcher!

Nancy, I love the edge on Also Known As and Adamas is a lovely oldie. After at least two decades of growing Autumn Minaret I’m doubting it will set seeds for you. The bees can’t accomplish seed setting on mine. Hopefully the pollen will get you something.

A good thing today, the photos loaded so quickly this time, hope that continues!

Sherry

• shive

Yes, no problems posting photos today! I hope that continues.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • celeste

AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL

AMERICAN FREEDOM

ALL MY KITTENS

AMBROSIA ROWS

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

AMERICA'S FAVORITE FIREWORKS
    AMAZING ADAM
    ABBA

ANNABELLE'S BLUSH

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

ALIENS IN THE GARDEN

AGE OF AQUARIUS

A GATHERING OF ANGELS

ARNOLD'S DAUGHTER

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

ALWAYS AFTERNOON

ALABAMA JUBILEE

ADDIS ABABA
    ACQUIRE THE FIRE

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

AVANTE GARDE

AVIS JEAN

ANGELUS ANGEL

ASTRAL VOYAGER

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Celeste, Acquire the Fire and Amazing Adam caught my eye today. It’s interesting what I find attracted to at different times. I really like Amazing Adam, I’m guessing you’ve posted it before but my old brain doesn’t remember. How tall is it for you and do you remember where you got it?

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Celeste: Lovely picture of America the Beautiful. I love pinks, and this is so beautiful. How apt for the name............. I'm with Sherry. I bounce between favorites all the time, but pink is always one of my top 3 colors............Acquire the Fire is a good red here too. Debra said it was colorfast years ago so I bought it. She was right. Mine didn't bloom last year, and has never been overly prolific, but that color in 100 degree heat never fails to draw attention.................Maryl

• lilykate7a

You guys have a lot more energy than I do after the holidays!!! I think I will just enjoy perusing all the beauties-at least for awhile. Too many to list as notables although Autumn Minaret certainly makes a statement on its own! Some others I don’t remember seeing. Nice color to brighten these winter days!

Kate

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • signet_gw(6b)

Been trying to round up my images . Of course they were not in alphabetical order ...oh no ...that would have been too easy Will try to post some that others haven't .

A Day of Rest . Got this one at a daylily growers place . Had never heard of it but when I saw it there was no question it was coming home with me .

Alan Lane Agin fairly new to the gardens hope we get some rain this year and it can grow to its registered height

Very striking in the garden . Second season in my gardens so should (hopefully) put on a nice show this year.

All of my Love to You does fairly well here

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • signet_gw(6b)

Love love love the look of Ava Gardner !

This one has a story. It was sold as Antares , then according to the hybridizer the AHS refused registration as there was already another plant with this name . I only found this out this past season when I went to search registration data could find nothing and contacted the hybridizer . So it seems it is an unregistered Daniel Matton daylily and to my knowledge no longer available for sale .

Probably the darkest daylily I own is this one ,..........Africa

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

I love Ava Gardener too! Don’t feel bad Signet, my photos aren’t alphabetized.

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

Oh I forgot to mention.......my fav's from these posts above (picking one from each poster..... I am guessing everyone knows how hard this is to do ! ) .......love the gracefulness of Autumn Minaret Sherry! Hoosier_Nan , I am with Bob . Artillery Fire is the one that grabs me . Debra in your group it is Applique that I am drawn to and finally Celeste from your groups Astral Voyager is my top choice of yours.

• shive

Celeste - Those are some beauties for sure. I love that group shot of American Freedom. It just glows. Age of Aquarius has a luscious color. I grow it too, but somehow didn't get a good photo of it last year.

Signet - Nice photo of All of My Love to You! I grow that one, but didn't post my photo. Ava Gardner is so pretty in your garden!

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

So glad you are doing the Alphabet again this year Sherry. The quotes are an added bonus. I adore all of the ones shown. You all have such great collections and I have so few!

It was a terrible year here, it rained nearly every day until the end of June and then turned sweltering hot with no rain.

Always Afternoon

Anzac - I really need to move it as it is getting crowded out.

No pic of Autumn Red this year.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Laurie, glad you are joining us again!

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b

Lots of beauties. I went thru and picked a favorite from each of you, which was hard to do!

Sherry and Laurie, Anzec nice red

Maryl, Apache Sunrise, great color.

Nancy, Artillery Fire! I love large ones like that!

Signet, Ava Gardner, great color and style.

Debra, Allegheny Skyline, always a favorite

Celeste, Astral Voyager, great color

I don't have time to post at the moment, maybe tomorrow or later. Gotta go work on my physical therapy exercises.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Nancy 6b

Abby Davisson

All Fired Up

All of My Love to You, not too sure why mine is so much darker than other pictures I have seen of it. 1st year in my garden

Well I added others, I will try again!

I see so many I like, by this time of year I like them all! I really like A Splash of Wine Nancy, but that is just the color I like best. Absolute Ripper is on my wish list, and I have been admiring Armed to the Teeth. Is it hardy for you Debra? I have not looked it up to see if it is evergreen, seems like all the ones I admire most are evergreen and 50/50 chance will not do well for me it seems. Unless the perfect protected spot, and I am running out of those. Losing patience with the plants I have to baby.

Love Ava Gardner, A Day of Rest, Astral Voyager, All My Kittens and America's Favorite Fireworks

Allegheny Skyline

American Freedom

Annabelle's Blush

Arnold's Daughter

Ashwood Still Night

August Wedding, not as white as this, more cream colored

Autumn Blaze

Autumn Wood, anyone who knows this one is aware that my camera did not quite get the lovely color

Aztec Beauty

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, love the color on your All My Love to You.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Signet: I had't heard of A Day of Rest either, but it is a beauty. I grew Ava Gardener. She bit the dust over one bad winter unfortunately.............. Goes to show you the difference in your cooler climate though as the below picture is about as dark as she ever got here in our heat. Still, I really liked her and would add her back again if I had room:

AVA Gardner in the heat:

Nancy: All my Love to You and Aztec Beauty are wonderful. You had a nice group there.

I'll post another one of mine in the A's.

Addie Branch Smith:

Maryl

• Brad KY 6b

Nancy, that is a great pic of Allegheny Skyline.

Maryl, Ava Gardner is so pretty!

Yeah, I know I picked these 2 for others, but they are so pretty.

Abundant Joy

Acclaim

Acquire the Fire, sunfast, quick increaser, lots of buds.

Amethyst Art

Art Gallery Expressionism

Augumenticus

That's all folks.

Brad

• Brad KY 6b

What painless posting. With Slimjet resizing and posting in seconds, then just seconds to post on Gardenweb, it was a snap. I hope this continues.

Brad

• Nancy 6b

I like acquire the Fire!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • lilykate7a

OK, I have a little time to post a few. I have a lot but will stay at a minimum here!

Apache Sunrise-is in partial shade-a trade off between a multiplying plant and this color bloom that holds color all day.

Aslan-I love the color on this lily

Ava Gardner

There are lots others but these will suffice for now!

• shive

Nice ones, Brad and Kate!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Nancy 6b

Nice daylilies Kate. I love the colors of Amethyst Prism. I am not normally a fan of orange, but I really like Apache Sunrise.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • signet_gw(6b)

Brad , I really like Augumenticus . A lot going on in that dayliiy

Lilykate OOOh I really love the look of Amethyst Prism- What intense colors !

• Brad KY 6b

Kate, all four are so beautiful!

Brad