GET IDEAS
hoang_ton

Harlow Carr - 2019 - Zone 8B

Hoang Ton
last year

Not sure how I feel about this rose. Nice flowers and fragrance. Blooms are about 3". It blooms constantly. It has an unattractive bush form.

Rose - Harlow Carr · More Info

Rose - Harlow Carr · More Info

Rose - Harlow Carr · More Info

Rose - Harlow Carr · More Info

Rose - Harlow Carr · More Info

Rose - Harlow Carr · More Info

• The Right Roses
    last year

Thank you Hoang Ton and Magnus - England . It is such a great pleasure learning the experiences of many gardeners with many roses around the world.

Many gardeners have conflicting opinions about Harlow Carr. We would like to agree with Magnus - England. Harlow Carr blooms are too tiny. Coupled with the fact that its stems are very thorny, we must think very carefully before planting it.

Please do not get us wrong. Many varieties, producing small blooms such as Scarborough Fair, still are incredibly attractive.

https://rightroses.com/scarborough-fair

Hoang Ton thanked The Right Roses
  • Magnus - England
    last year

@The Right Roses It's great to see you on this forum! Your website has been super helpful in trying to pick out good DA roses. I don't know if you're considering expanding you're reviews to roses from other breeders or old roses? I've grown a fair few I feel I confident in sharing my opinion of with you

• The Right Roses
    last year

Magnus - England Thank you very much for your kind words.

At The Right Roses, we highly appreciate all kinds of contributions from gardeners around the world. As you know, the same rose may perform very differently depending on the climates, even gardens.

We would love to review roses from many breeders. In addition, it would be great if we could receive the reviews from many gardeners.

In fact, we have two on-going series now: (1) 'My Favorite Roses', and (2) 'My Biggest Surprise'. However, we highly appreciate whatever gardeners could share with us, as long as it is about THE ROSE EXPERIENCE. Please just send your reviews to us at RightRosesCom@gmail.com.

Please read this post regarding the suggested structure of your reviews.

https://rightroses.com/my-biggest-surprise-call-stories

• Country:
    • Your hardiness zone:
    • Your aspect (e.g., South-facing garden):
    • Number of hours of direct sunlight in the summer:
    • Number of hours of direct sunlight in the winter:
    • Spray or not:
    • Name of the rose(s): It can be a David Austin rose or any other rose varieties.
    • Breeder: any rose breeders

After the details above, please provide us with your own rose experience. No word limit. No deadline. We just love your own experience. It would be great if you could share with other gardeners a few photos of your roses. Of course, your work will be credited under your name.

We hope that together we can create a lot of rich resources for all gardeners around the world, including you, of course.

Happy New Year and we look forward to your reviews!

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    last year

Reviews can be very useful but too often, and I've been guilty of this as much as anybody, is that they are reviewed after only growing a rose for one season, or just a few months.... this is unfair to the rose and the breeder... as we so often find out... a rose after 3 years can be very different to the one we had initially... sometimes I find my initial 'reviews' wherever I happen to leave them, do a 100 percent about turn, either way, after 2 or 3 years of growing...

'Harlow Carr' seems to make a good Standard Tree rose... from what I've seen... I didn't care for it too much as a shrub, nice bronze Spring foliage though... but as a Standard it seems to excel itself... away from a path !..

Hoang Ton thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • Hoang Ton
    last year

I agreed with Marlorena. Roses do perform better when it’s mature in its 3rd year.

• The Right Roses
    last year

Marlorena-z8 England- Thank you very much for great insights!

We are aware of this fact, which can somehow be alleviated by: (1) the larger number of reviews from gardeners around the world, (2) each review can be updated. For example, you can provide us with a review of your new rose in year one. Later on, as the rose improves, you can provide us with another updated review in year three.

As a result, we called for more reviews from gardeners around the world, so that we would have a better understanding of the same roses in various climates. That would be fair to the breeders, to whom we would like to pay our greatest respect, and the roses, which we love almost more than anything in life.

In addition, we really appreciate your suggestions. We realized that we should have added two more points to the form of the reviews, including the age of the rose and the type of the rose. We have already updated the form as follows.

• Country:
    • Your hardiness zone:
    • Spray or not:
    • Breeder: any rose breeders
    • How long have you planted this rose in your garden? (e.g., 2 years):
    • Rose type (e.g., shrub or standard):

Marlorena-z8 England-, would you please share with millions of visitors at The Right Roses your own rose experience? It can be about anything. For example, Tottering-By-Gently.

It would be truly incredible if we could have contributions from many talented gardeners like you, Magnus - England, and Hoang Ton.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours.

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    last year

...thank you.... I hope to make a contribution at some point.. you have a nice site there with great photos too...