FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

jojoco_gw

Jeopardy! (GOAT)

jojoco
last modified: January 10, 2020

Although I don't watch Jeopardy! any more, I sometimes did in the past. I've watched the past two nights to see what all the hype was about. I have to say, the contestants in this "Greatest of all Time" battle are amazing! Their breadth of knowledge is incredible.

It's also bittersweet to watch Alex Trebek. I remember him so vividly from decades ago. He is still a commanding presence, but it is sad to see the physical toll cancer is taking on him.

Now, for my conspiracy theory, lol. On both of the nights that I watched (four games,) there has been a question about "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". I'm no mathematician, but I think the odds of two questions from the same film are low. I can't help but think that Alex is giving us clues here, that he will "give" his beloved Jeopardy to the winner of the tournament. Just like Willy Wonka did for Charlie in the book. I know people have been speculating that he may do this, but I really think he is spelling it out for us in plain sight. If there are any more questions about it, I will rest my case, lol.

Oh, and yes, I majored in English and can find a plot anywhere.

Jo

• Michele

That’s interesting. I surely would prefer this scenario over Drew Carey taking over. I’ve heard that and wasn’t thrilled. It couldn’t be James though. I like him but I can’t see it. I could envision Ken or Brad

• graywings123

That is interesting. But Jeopardy James seems an unlikely choice to host but has a good chance of winning. Brad is more similar to Alex in his demeanor. But Ken has long been the face of the Jeopardy contestants.

And yes, their breadth of knowledge is incredible.

• maddielee

I am amazed at the knowledge of the three contestants.

Alex said in an interview that aired last week that when he decides to leave he will ask the show’s director for 30 seconds at the end of the show to say his goodbye.

Merv Griffin’s son was on the same program. Merv wrote the Jeopardy tune, in about 90 seconds, on a piano that was given to him by Marlon Brando. Yes, they still receive royalties from the show.

I am old enough to to remember how no one thought Alex T could ever be as fine a host as Art Fleming was.

• dedtired

Yes, I am blown away by how much these men know as well as their ability to respond quickly .I might have been able to answer a few if I could have had five minutes to yank the answer out of the depths of my brain. They also jump from subject to subject, so it’s not like they can get on a roll delving into their knowledge of one topic.

I like James but he has an odd affect that makes it hard to envision him as a tv host. Ken would be the obvious choice of these three, but even then he does not necessarily have that tv host quality. But maybe. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

interesting theory, Jo. Maybe they have Violet Beauregard lined up.

• bpath reads banned books too

Interesting take, Jo. I admit I was kind of wondering if either would make a good host. Ken doesn’t really have the voice. James doesn’t really have the personality. Brad could maybe pull it off but he seems to be engaged at his own level, I haven’t seen him really connect with people, which is important for a host. He does have some experience, though, hosting, as I understand it.

Maybe Alex is waiting for them to ”break the rules” and send them down the garbage chute, to the stretching machine or juicer, or the like. Oh, wait, that sounds more like Ellen Degeneres’ show or, surely there was a similar game show?

What about Julia Collins? I really like her, but perhaps she’s not commanding enough Of a presence.

I heard somewhere Neil DeGrasse Tyson was considered?

• Arapaho-Rd

Dinner, then Jeopardy every night. Love Alex T. Can't imagine the show without him.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Makes me want to cry just thinking about Alex no longer hosting Jeopady.

• DLM2000-GW

That. Was. Fantastic! I wanted James to win but Ken was on fire from the start and really earned this. I love the way he (mostly) took a page from James to go 'all in' on his wagers. I think that was a leap for him but he wanted this enough to take those risks. I'm sorry it's over - this was truly entertaining for me.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Totally agree, DLM. I wanted James to win, too. I am sad it is over also. It was very entertaining, wasn't it!